Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

Re: UK Riots: Faggots VS Twats [Re: I_AM_SWIM]
    #577916 - 08/12/11 11:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I_AM_SWIM said:
I have plenty of scientific sources to back up my claims, do you?

I mean what claims would I even have to back up?  I am pretty sure I have made it known I am speaking about opinion here.  I don't need any back up for that. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineI_AM_SWIM
Someone Who Isn't McKenna

Re: UK Riots: Faggots VS Twats [Re: Tangerines]
    #577923 - 08/12/11 11:32 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Read these and reply again if you want to get a response from me.
You claim that words don't affect you emotionally. I say that they do.
Violence and war usually stem from ideologies that are founded
by language. I'm trying to speak seriously of the matter, but you call me
a 'faggot', and so I know that you aren't taking the subject seriously, and
it's not worth my time talking about it with you.

http://psych.wisc.edu/glenberg/Papers/Using%20emotion.pdf
http://nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~lindqukr/docs/Lindquist2009.pdf
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/540/handouts/emotion/emotion.html

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#577935 - 08/12/11 11:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Violence/war transcend language IMO.  Different colonies of the same species battling over certain turf etc. 

I didn't read those btw so don't bother responding. :grin:

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

#577941 - 08/12/11 11:50 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I never said that violence and war didn't transcend language.
I said it stems from language; which implies that it transcends language.

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#577945 - 08/12/11 11:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well what I meant was I don't think war stems from language as much as actions.  If you see people creeping on your livestock/crops you will go protect it and kill them if needed.  There needs not be a single word spoken.  I'd love to continue this but I need to go to the Dentist and get my bi-yearly fluoride implants.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #577963 - 08/12/11 01:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Exactly. Don't be bringing that Chomsky shit up in here.

I'll agree coercion is violence, but language itself is neutral without the intentions of the speaker. Only hyper-sensitive pussies get upset over the use of words in a non-violent context.

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

Re: UK Riots: Faggots VS Twats [Re: DungenessDank]
    #577971 - 08/12/11 03:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Language is neutral without the intentions of the speaker.

Not necessarily, it doesn't matter what the intention of the speaker/writer is, because it becomes subject to change based on the audience or reader's perspective.

Only hyper-sensitive pussies get upset over the use of words in a non-violent context.

Clearly, you are missing my point, and it's that words can cause psychological damage, and yet you continue to speak like an ignorant sheep.

Read some books, and stop pretending that language doesn't affect human beings on the mental scale; even in a safe context. It does, and has been proven to even change people's behavior, and as we know, behavior dictates action.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#577975 - 08/12/11 03:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - Thomas Jefferson

If you don't believe in a war on drugs, why champion a war on words?

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

Re: UK Riots: Faggots VS Twats [Re: DungenessDank]
    #577983 - 08/12/11 04:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - Thomas Jefferson

If you don't believe in a war on drugs, why champion a war on words?

I never said that I don't believe in a war on drugs, it's pretty obvious that there is one.
I don't understand what you mean. I'm well aware of Jefferson's rhetoric, and have read his works extensively.

All that I'm saying is that words and language are more powerful than you may realize, if you understand marketing at any level you would notice this.

"We find that the emotional advantage of consumers' native language depends on personal memories and the language context in which those memories were generated. Thus reading or hearing a word (unconsciously) triggers memories of situations in which that word played a roleā€¦Because consumers usually have more personal memories with words in their native language than in their second language, marketing messages in their native"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081215111433.htm

Why champion a war on words?

First of all, I don't understand what you mean by this.
I'm not telling anyone what to write or say, I'm simply trying to bring
awareness to the situation.
Secondly, I have a growing interest in linguistic ethnography, and thirdly, I think
it's best that people think before they speak in order to avoid hypocrisy.

Edited by I_AM_SWIM (08/12/11 04:49 PM)

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#577993 - 08/12/11 05:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Personally what I may find as upsetting may not upset you whatsoever, speech is subjective as much as it is objective.

"Oppressive Speech" may exist, but to label words themselves as oppressive just doesn't make good sense, and certainly not good policy.

Those with social and political agendas always will use this to justify their own beliefs and impose their will on others.

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

Re: UK Riots: Faggots VS Twats [Re: DungenessDank] * 1
    #578004 - 08/12/11 06:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I never labeled a word being oppressive. I am simply stating that words cause a psychological
impact on people. The word itself isn't inherently good or bad, it's merely a symbol on the
objective level, but words with a negative history will spark emotions in people, and all
that I'm trying to say is that it's best to be careful with what words you use when speaking
or writing, because there will be consequences regarding with what is being said.

It's quite easy to psychologically damage people and drive them towards committing suicide
via verbal abuse alone; sure it's up to the individual to finally commit the act, but you
cannot deny that the social environment played a role in formulating such a scenario either.

Anyway, here's some Joe Brogan talking about the word 'faggot'. :smirk:

Anyway, I've been enjoying this conversation so far. It's been fun. :cheers:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag