Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline484
Reptar
Male
Making a grow box
    #571994 - 07/13/11 11:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Alright /crops/ who has $70 dollars?
(warning, all prices approximate)
You will need
2 x 2"-by-2" by 8' members. About $1 ea
2 x 4' by 8' 1/2" plywood. These were about $8 ea
(you could actually get away with 1 4' by 8' and then the smallest you can cut 2.5' by 3' out of)
1 x 2' fluorescent fixture. Mine is for two of those 17 T8 bulbs. About $17
2 x 2' T8 bulbs. About $5
1 x 120mm computer fan. $5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835199014
1 x computer power supply. $11 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822006&cm_re=power_supply-_-17-822-006-_-Product
1 x power strip/extension cord. Mine was free because I had one lying around
1 x light timer. $6 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA05W0195086&cm_re=timer_outlet-_-9SIA05W0195086-_-Product
lots and lots of screws about $3.50/pack, but you'll want two different lengths http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=drywall+screw&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&queryType=allItems&ipp=20&sortby=bestMatch
1 x plug for the fluorescent lights. About $3
2 x hinges. About $1 ea

So the idea here is that one 8'x4' will become two 2.5'x4' and two 1.5'x4'. These are the sides of your grow box.
One of the 2.5'x4' will get cut in half. One half will be the door.
The other 8'x4' contains the 2.5'x1.5' top and bottom. You won't use most of this piece.
The 8' 2"x2"s get cut in half to make 4 4' members (approx).
One 4' member gets screwed into each corner of the box to be, so attatch them at the left side of each side. (This ensures that two members do not end up in one corner)

First paint what will become the inside of your box white.

NOTE: It is a really good idea to plan out where you're gonna set ALL of your screws before you start screwing any in.
If you've done everthing right, you should have four sides of a 4' tall box with each 4' member in a corner. Assemble what you have of your box if you have not done so. Make sure you did not affix a 2"x2" to the door.
NOTE: The  2"x2"s I got were really warped. I had to make extensive use of clamps to get them to screw properly.
One of your 2.5'x1.5's will become the top of the box (hope you don't have any screws placed too close to the tops of the sides :P)
On the other 2.5'x1.5', knock out a 3"x3" square from each corner. This is so it can rest around the 2"x2"s in the corners.
About 4" from the bottom set one long screws into each 2"x2" member. They should parallel the short walls of the box. This is what the bottom will rest on. underneath the bottom is where the power supply and powerstrip will be.
NOTE you may have to trim your bottom down to make it fit.
Before we go any further, cut a hole in the side of the box near the  bottom. this is what we will run power cords through, and it will also function as an air outlet.
Using any appropriate method cut a 120 mm (approx) hole in the back of the box. This will be where you mount the 120 mm fan.
Measure very carefully and put the hinges on the door. I put them about 0.5' from the top and bottom of the box. Make sure you put them on straight.
NOTE: You may need some scrap wood incase the screws that affix the hinges to the door are longer than the door is thick.
Measure very carefully and put the hinges on the box. It will be helpful if you find something to rest the door on while you work.
Mount the light to the top of the box. You may need scrap wood incase the mounting screws are longer than the top of the box is thick. I simply backed the screws out until they were not poking through the top.
You can use caulk to patch up any light leak that isn't caused by the door.
Wire up your power strip.
Set up your timer.
You now have a 2.5'x1.5'x4' growbox.
Grow
?
PROFIT

Possible upgrades
Cut another bottom, put another light in and make two chambers.
Raise the bottom and cut holes for sieves to rest in. Fill sieves with growing medium, put water collection under the bottom.
Stick a water reservoir on top and get a small hose. You can now water your plants with the power of gravity.
Build up a retaining wall around the bottom and drill holes in it. Fill the whole bottom with dirt. Ultra wide growing pot.
Put in an HPS light.

Errata:
I went to the hardware store today and purchased some hooks and cheap chains, so now my light is mobile.
The door will definitely require a seal. The light leak is atrocious, I just haven't done anything about it yet.

--------------------
Какой дурак придумал бутерброд с дикобразом? Он хулиган; он бездельник!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies