Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Plants that give off same heat as mj
    #568682 - 06/30/11 12:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've heard of rasberry/blackberry bushes as well as corn and tomatoes giving off the same heat.

Fact or fiction?

discuss :bongload:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: Plants that give off same heat as mj [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #568699 - 06/30/11 03:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i lmao on this post

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Plants that give off same heat as mj [Re: MR.HEADY] * 1
    #568712 - 06/30/11 04:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

In general, plants do not give off heat unless there is brown fat metabolism (see skunk cabbage) which is quite rare. On the other hand, plants can absorb energy from the sun and emit it at certain wavelengths (infrared in the case of heat) which can distinguish between plant species due to emission of a particular wavelength patten. So the question is not too far off in left field.

In the case of marijuana, there have been a number of studies to try to increase law-enforcements ability to locate plants amongst the local vegetation remotely so its spectral signatures are quite well established. Much to our benefit, Cannabis is very hard to detect except for its reflection in the visible range (the distinct emerald green color of its leaves) so it is most often found using human "spotters" in helicopters. With that in mind, try to find plants that have similar colored leaves and perhaps more importantly, the same growth form (ie: herbaceous bushes). Don't plant in the middle of a stand of old growth oaks for instance.

Here is a USDA publication that can perhaps shed a bit more light on the subject:
USDA (gov web site, enter at your own risk)

Here is an excerpt from the article for those of us that don't like referrer links:
Quote:

Successful detection of outdoor illegal Cannabis cultivation with remote sensing would be of considerable help to law enforcement agencies. It is assumed that remote sensing will rely on the spectral signatures of Cannabis plant canopies as the primary indicator. The spectral reflectance of Cannabis was examined using laboratory, field and airborne measurements. Results thus far include: 1) leaf and canopy spectral reflectance of Cannabis exhibit characteristics of other green plants, 2) nadir spectral signatures do not have stable, unique absorption features suitable for a reference signature, 3) the "emerald green" (blue-green) color of Cannabis results from specular reflectance of blue sky light and small particle scattering from microscopic structures on the surface of Cannabis leaves, 4) spectral contrast between Cannabis and other plant canopies appears most significant for green, red edge and short wave infrared wavelengths, 5) spectral contrasts between Cannabis and tree species appear greater than spectral differences with other herbaceous species, 6) isolation of Cannabis canopy spectral signatures during land cover classification may be difficult using visible-near infrared systems, and 7) researchers investigating detection technologies must be kept aware of the trends of growers to conceal sites. Analysis of the essential elements of information associated with illegal Cannabis cultivation offers other possibilities for detection with remote sensing. Ultimately, remote sensing will be most effective when used with a probability-of-occurrence/Cannabis cultivation site prediction model from the Counter Drug " Geographical Regional Assessment Sensor System (CD-GRASS).

Check out the link for a bit more in-depth info if you are interested. I hope that helped you a bit. Good luck and stay safe!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: Plants that give off same heat as mj [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #568742 - 06/30/11 07:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the link Dr. Penguin. 

I've always planted in rasberry patches simply because they hold onto their leaves into mid-late october.

Quote:

MR.HEADY said:
i lmao on this post

Please elaborate.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

#568745 - 06/30/11 08:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

It has been said that if the cannabis plant is planted by a pine or cedar tree the heat from the tree will overlap the cannabis plant heat making it harder to detect from helicopters."

--------------------

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #568830 - 07/01/11 11:12 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:
thanks for the link Dr. Penguin. 

I've always planted in rasberry patches simply because they hold onto their leaves into mid-late october.

Quote:

MR.HEADY said:
i lmao on this post

Please elaborate.

He thought you were wrong, which you aren't. Plants give off different heat signatures, hell, everything gives off a different heat signature..

You're right though they do detect it using heat signatures but I don't know of any similar ones. If you spread them out I don't think a helicopter will see a plant here and a plant there....They may but obviously I'm sure it would be a little more difficult :shrug:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: Plants that give off same heat as mj [Re: mhbound]
    #568843 - 07/01/11 12:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah. I just wanted to see wanted him to bring something to the table....since he seems to be so knowledgeable.  I put the post up because i was curious as to what other members have heard on the subject.

oh well. :shrug:

the most plants i have in a spot is 5. I know that won't be attracting any attention. You got any girls out mhbound?

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Plants that give off same heat as mj [Re: mhbound]
    #568856 - 07/01/11 12:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:
Quote:

It has been said that if the cannabis plant is planted by a pine or cedar tree the heat from the tree will overlap the cannabis plant heat making it harder to detect from helicopters."

Quote:

mhbound said:

Plants give off different heat signatures, hell, everything gives off a different heat signature.

Actually, most plants give off a very similar heat signature, its the visible spectrum where they differ. The graph above is a spectrograph of the 400nm-1000nm region, the 400nm-800nm portion of which is the visible spectrum. This graph should be taken with a grain of salt though because all the species Cannabis is compared to are tree species... Being a herbaceous shrub, its leaf color is much more similar to other bushes, like raspberry for instance.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Plants that give off same heat as mj [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #568881 - 07/01/11 03:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yea I think they search more based on the density and shit, like I said I'm not 100 percent sure, I've heard rumors and done a little reading but fortunately I don't have to worry much about that, yet.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

Loc: The Void
Re: Plants that give off same heat as mj [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #569051 - 07/02/11 01:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MR.HEADY said:
i lmao on this post

I've always heard that grapes and tomatoes give off heat.... lmao

I inadvertently put my plants in a row right near my tomatoes, so from the sky it may just look like 2 rows of tomatoes :awesome: They're also in a pine forest :awesome:

--------------------
:egyptian:
Every man and every woman is a star
There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt
Love is the law, love under will
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." -The Book of the Law 2:9

InvisiblebrainsOplenty
ganja farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: zion
Re: Plants that give off same heat as mj [Re: MonsignorBerric]
    #569213 - 07/03/11 08:38 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i've got some babies lounging with my tomatoes, hardly even noticeable:thumbup:  the one i've got in the 5 gal. bucket on the other hand very noticeable. but i'm keeping that one tied down.

--------------------
it's written right here.
it's absolutely clear.
the ganja herb is the healing of the nation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals