Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMtDew
Stranger
First Grow, questions on size
    #567241 - 06/25/11 09:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hey everyone, this is my first grow and my plant is doing really well.

Let me put down some info:

got as a 1" cutting of a Sour Diesel plant from my dispensary.

It's under a 1000w HPS bulb

Has a nice fan blowing on it during the light cycle.

Light cycle is 18/6.

It's in soil, and has been doing really well.

I just found some spider mites on it, and I think I'm going to try the rubbing alcohol method on it first, as that seems like the best.

The problem I'm really wondering about is the fact that it's so short and bushy. It's supposedly a Sour Diesel, which is 90% indica. I thought that was supposed to make it tall!

Let me know if you guys can tell me any thing about it. It's about 3 weeks old in this picture.

http://imgur.com/i7fDd

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepaducahovoids
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First Grow, questions on size [Re: MtDew]
    #567243 - 06/25/11 10:06 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm just getting back into it, so I may not be much help, but on your question, I had the exact same question 2 weeks ago and I was told I had it backwards, and indica's are short and fat and sativas are tall and lanky:confused:If you got it at a dispensory, I'd wager you got the thing they told you it was

OfflineMtDew
Stranger
Re: First Grow, questions on size [Re: paducahovoids]
    #567255 - 06/25/11 11:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hrm, I'm confused then!

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: First Grow, questions on size *DELETED* [Re: MtDew]
    #567259 - 06/25/11 11:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: d

OfflineMtDew
Stranger
Re: First Grow, questions on size [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #567262 - 06/25/11 11:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome, thanks for the input! I was thinking of using rubbing alcohol on her because this guide recommends it:

http://www.growery.org/3047/How-to-Kill-Spider-Mites-Get-Rid-of-Spider-Mite-Infestation-on-Cannabis-Marijuana

I don't like the idea of soap, and rubbing alcohol should all evaporate before the plant has too much time to absorb it.

You're saying I should use neem oil? I'll ask my hydro shop today about it.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Grow, questions on size [Re: MtDew]
    #567280 - 06/25/11 12:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Posted by simpsonsampson420 on rollitup.org:

neem oil is NOT a spot killer.. you wont spray your plants today and be gone of mite tomorrow... expect about a 2 week battle... neem oil works a couple ways.. first if you can spray the eggs well it covers them and suffocates them... no more eggs.. when the adults eat the neem oil it messes with their hormones... it makes it so they cant reproduce and lay eggs.. immature pests that eat the neem oil dont reach adult hood and are never able to reproduce... thats why spraying the plant well is so important.. you want to make sure the mites have no choice BUT to eat the neem oil... root feeding work very similar in that the pests hormones get fucked up when they suck the juices from your plant, but it also deters them from sucking on your plant because the neem oil tastes horrible... it also contains some trace minerals so its actually good to feed your plants,, i personally will root feed my plants every other time during and infestation, and spray them every 2-3 days.. the spray i use is 3ml neem oil per 1L of water with a few drops of biodegradable liquid dish soap... usually following this over a 2 week period.. then just go down to spraying once a week as a precaution... ill do this up to the 4th weeks of flowering.. havent ran into mold problems yet, or had neem flavored buds, or any other side affects due to the neem oil... its always worked for me.. like i said.. it just takes about a week before you see progress, 2 weeks before the infestation is gone... but its a natural way to get rid of them... if you want an immediate solution get some NO PEST STRIPS from walmart, lowes, home depot, ect.. they will work in a few hours and kill both mites and eggs... but it is a chemical strip (not a spray)... personally i dont want to think that what im inhaling was treated with a chemical... NO PEST strips work tho.. just make sure you arent in the area because they arent anything you want to breath in... also AVID and FLORAMITE are instant working sprays, but again they are chemical... chemical = instant, but it is a chemical you are using on your plant... natural = longer time fighting the pests, but its not chemical.. just depends on you...

also.. a couple smaller ways of helping slow down their life cycle and battle them is;
1) keep humidity up... they hate humidity... spraying with cold water will help by raising the humidity, spraying them off the leaf surface, and they dont like cold.. which brings me to number two..
2) drop the temps to between 65 and 70 if you can... it can take 10 days for mites to reach maturity in cooler humid temps, but as little at 2 days in warmer less humid places... each female can lay 100 eggs a day... they are 75% females anyways... in the right climate they can very very very quickly run your garden over... so until you decide how you are gonna deal with them and they are dealt with making the enviroment as unhospitible to them as you can will help slow their growth...
3) also you can use a tobacco, tobasco, garlic, cinnamon oil, peppermint oil, ect spray.. they arent pesticides, but will help deter them from your plants...

whatever way you chose is up to you... some say neem oil doesnt work and you should go with avid, floramite, or no pest strips... i swear by neem oil and wont use anything else... just make sure you get 100% neem oil from the first press... and not 100% neem oil from the second press or something that just has neem oil in it...

good luck with those bastards.. hope this helped

I'd also like to re-emphasize what a tremendous pain spider mites can be.  If your infestation has progressed quite a bit, you may be better off taking some clones off of your main plant and treating them immediately.  They'll be much easier to manage simply by virtue of the fact that they won't have much foliage on them.  Once they are rooted, cull the infected mother and make sure you keep them in a CLEAN environment, and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN your main grow space.  After that, try only to visit your grow space when you yourself are clean / wearing clean clothes.  If you've been working/playing outside or have pets, it is particularly important to be mindful of your personal cleanliness before working in the grow room.

Good luck!

PS.  For a 1000 watt light and only one plant, you'll probably want to use a larger container.  I can't tell for certain given the angle of the photo, but it looks fairly small.  For a single plant on a 1000 watt system, I would use a 5 gallon container.  Ideally, you should clone multiple plants or train under a screen of green to maximize your efficiency with that powerful light.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules