Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesirtokesalot
Stranger
Leaves look burnt? Please help
    #565729 - 06/19/11 03:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, I have a plant growing outside and right now it's about 3 to 4 inches tall. It's outside in some dirt (I mixed cow manure, grapefruits, and kumquats with it for some nutrients). It gets sun from dawn till about 2 or 3 o'clock when the sun moves behind the house. I water it around 1 every day and then I water it again later in the day around 7. The other day I noticed some light green/white-ish spots on one of the bottom leaves. They slowly grew until there was a small burned looking spot on the edge. Then the spots showed up on 2 other leaves. This is the best picture I could take:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepaducahovoids
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help [Re: sirtokesalot]
    #565731 - 06/19/11 03:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm pretty new to it also, but it seems you are overwatering it. Also it sounds like your soil is too "hot", high in nitrogen. We'll see what everyone else says

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help *DELETED* [Re: sirtokesalot]
    #565737 - 06/19/11 04:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: d

Offlinesirtokesalot
Stranger
Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #565757 - 06/19/11 05:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It's sand being used as topsoil. And I could be over-watering, that was one of my theories but it doesn't really seem like that's the problem. At first I thought it could have been from the heat burning the leaves but it's mainly that one leaf at the bottom, the one parallel to it and another one above it has the small spots it starts out with. I figured that if it was the Sun causing that then the leaves that were higher up would be the same way, but they're actually quite healthy.

Offlinepaducahovoids
Stranger
 User Gallery

#565767 - 06/19/11 05:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I water my plants, in little tiny pots, every other day, and you water twice in one day, and yours are in the ground. It has to be too much

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help [Re: wishcouldeletethis] * 1
    #565781 - 06/19/11 07:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
Are you familiar with making your own soil mixes? Because that looks pretty terrible/sandy.... I am speaking on intuition but would suggest purchasing some quality dirt as your first step.

hes right

You can't just dig soil out of the ground and try to use it, although I can't laugh because my first grow I planted in clay, hard clay...lol

You aint growing weed in that sorry. You need something with something to keep it nice and fluffy, drains nicely, and retains water but not flooding. You can easily find mixes around I can give you mine if you want it...Coco Coir and shit is also used.

Any local garden store will have some, you want it with no nutrients, and like a light perlite mix of sorts.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlineninja cat 09
Made you look
Male

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help [Re: paducahovoids]
    #565896 - 06/20/11 09:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

paducahovoids said:
I water my plants, in little tiny pots, every other day, and you water twice in one day, and yours are in the ground. It has to be too much

It could be rootbound, how small are the pots?

Rootbound plants normally start having "saggy" leafs and then start "burning" from the bottom up, IME.

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #565910 - 06/20/11 11:19 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

As far as mixes go I used to use

1/3 Perlite 1/3 Peat or Coco 1/3 Verm

Recently I switched to something like

1/4 Verm 1/4 Coco 1/2 Perlite

And I like it better but I have to water more often.

I don't like mixing nutrients in the mixture since I want to feed them myself and cut them off of food near the ending times.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offlinesirtokesalot
Stranger
Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #565937 - 06/20/11 01:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well I would make a legitimately 'good' grow setup if I could, but I'm flat broke. That's why I'm using cow shit and dead fruit mixed up with some dirt from an old garden that had some good soil in it in the past, lol. I germinated the seed before I planted it and it popped up in about a day or 2. It's growing a lot faster and healthier than any other plants I've tried growing around here too, even the one I was growing inside. I don't water it twice a day every day, it depends on how early I water it and how hot it is after it gets watered (because of the heat evaporating the water, idk, it seems like the right thing to do). And it's been confirmed that the shade hits the plant around 2:45. There's also another plant that I put about a foot behind this one so I could see if it grew better or worse and it has the same problem on the bottom leaves.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #565944 - 06/20/11 01:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dude I mean literally Perlite, Coco Coir, Vermiculite, maybe a little sand, a little lime.....Whatever you chose cost nothing I mean like, 15 dollars maybe.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help *DELETED* [Re: sirtokesalot]
    #565990 - 06/20/11 04:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: d

Offlinesirtokesalot
Stranger
Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #566038 - 06/20/11 07:42 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, none of you are understanding my question...

What is wrong with the plant? If anyone knows, that is.

This is not a serious grow in any way, this is a way for me to learn more about growing by trial and error before I actually try growing dank bud. All I want to do is examine the growth habits of the plants and practice the watering and see what light cycles work best. If this plant produces then awesome, I'll be pretty damn happy. If it doesn't then oh well, no big deal. Sorry if that seemed like a rude post.

Offlinesirtokesalot
Stranger
    #566062 - 06/20/11 08:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Understandable, that makes sense. Thanks!

InvisiblebrainsOplenty
ganja farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: zion
    #566406 - 06/21/11 08:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

sirtokesalot said:

This is not a serious grow in any way, this is a way for me to learn more about growing by trial and error before I actually try growing dank bud. All I want to do is examine the growth habits of the plants and practice the watering and see what light cycles work best. If this plant produces then awesome, I'll be pretty damn happy. If it doesn't then oh well, no big deal. Sorry if that seemed like a rude post.

cow shit rotten fruit and sand, IMO that's your problem. noone can help you out unless you give more info on your grow. like soil ph, and a whole list of other factors. if your watering with tap water and your tap water is horrible like mine you've got problems.

--------------------
it's written right here.
it's absolutely clear.
the ganja herb is the healing of the nation.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: Leaves look burnt? Please help [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #566475 - 06/22/11 12:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Why practice, if you are only going to practice the wrong way to grow? 
Your are learning nothing.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #567284 - 06/25/11 01:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

sirtokesalot said:

I'd like to see a picture of the whole plant to really see if there's anything wrong with it at all.  Frankly, all I see in your picture is the first or second sets of embryonic leaves that emerge after seed germination.  It is common for these first sets of leaves to yellow and die off as the plant begins to produce heartier vegetative growth higher up on the stalk.  Therefore, there may in fact be nothing wrong with your plant.

The fact that you put sand on top of the soil doesn't mean that you have terrible soil.  I use sand on the top of my indoor containers to prevent fungus gnats from taking roost, and it has been working beautifully for several grow cycles.  However, it is a little concerning that you would throw raw organic material into your soil, seemingly without first composting it.  That surely has the potential to lead to problems, but everyone here has already pounded that point home, so just do yourself a favor and read more about "soil amendment".

Good luck, and give us a picture of the entire plant! :ganja:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate