Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTOOLOGY719
The Dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Hemisphere
Total Noob here! getting started....
    #554510 - 05/10/11 01:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Alrighty, so yesterday I got my green card here in AZ, and I'm allowed to grow 12 plants. I definitely want to get started immediately, but money is pretty tight. What i need to know is what equipment i'll need to do about 4 plants at first, and where to find it for cheap. I'm very excited to get this going. Mycology has been my hobby, but now that I can legally grow herb, there is no reason not to. Thanks guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: TOOLOGY719]
    #554535 - 05/10/11 02:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

What kinda money you talking?

Cheap to one guy is expensive to another.

As a generic list, you're gonna need:

Lighting
Nutrients
Seeds
Grow Medium
ph kit
thermometer
power strip(s)
extension cord(s)
timer(s)
pots for plants
a grow space
fans
odor control

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleTOOLOGY719
The Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: RasJeph]
    #554610 - 05/10/11 06:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

lets say no more than $500, but preferably less....

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #554622 - 05/10/11 07:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TOOLOGY719 said:
lets say no more than $500, but preferably less....

check out stealthhydroponics.com they have great and cheap deep water culutre and bubbleponics systems as cheap as $35 for a 4 plant system. Mind you, you still need lighting, nutes and all the accessories..

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

Offlinesexondrugs
Stranger

Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: HempMaster]
    #554875 - 05/12/11 03:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Check out your local hydro store prices for equipment and then compare to online prices with shipping.  You want to source your medium locally as shipping prices will be expensive.

*400w ballast, bulb, and reflector - about $200 (but you could spend more for better equipment)
*4" centrifugal fan - about $150
*selection nursery pots - $30
*planting medium (one time purchase if recycled) - $60
*fertilizers - free to super expensive (for $40 you could get some blood meal, bone meal, kelp meal, and molasses - or for even less you could use Jack's Classic which is cheap and available at gardening centers)

On top of this stuff you will need lightproof enclosure (sealed up closet, cab, tent, etc).  If you are going to use salt based fertilizers you you will also need a pH meter and a EC or ppm meter.

$500 isn't a lot of money.  When I set up my 400w grow I probably spent close to $1,200 including seeds.

Sex

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: sexondrugs]
    #554923 - 05/12/11 11:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

1200 seems pretty steep to me for just a 400 watt system.  But that all depends on how much do it yourself you can do.  Just my opinion.

Toology, what kind of area are you going to be growing in??  Closet grow, basement, whole bedroom??

Decent start up hood, includes the glass, and flanges for connecting to cooling fans are 128.95
Same ones I use except I run 1000 watts with them.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=904000

Very good quality HPS only ballast.  400 watt.  152.95  You don't have to have MH for vegging, although it is preferred.  But in all candor I've switched to just HPS through my whole grow.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=902435

SunSystem is a great company that has been very reliable to me.  I would go with the magnetic ballast.  If they break down and your at all able to follow some instructions and be a little handy they can be easily fixed.  I found this out recently with my 1000 watt switchable, 60 bucks or so in parts and the ballast that lasted me for like 5 years is good as new.

Cheap and affordable HPS Lamp.  Will get the job done. 23.95  But I personally grow with hortilux super HPS which go for 89.95 on RVFs site.  Final price I quote is with the cheap one.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=901505

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=901545

Squirrel cage fan to cool the light/vent your room if you want to try and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  95.95-113.95 depending on how much are you feel like moving through your hood.  The more the better always.  Squirrel fans are a bit less efficient than inline but a touch cheaper and move more CFM for the money.  I used them for years.  Just check with the company to make sure that the flange on it is the same size as the flanges on your hood.  The one I put up has a 4 inch flange on it and moves 265cfm, and can connect to the hood I priced for you as well.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=736620

And of course you will need ducting with that.  16.95 With the clamps that you'll need.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=904165&cartstatus=temp&custid=752117.2309

These products come up to 427.70.  And that includes shipping.

Now I know that seems a bit steep just for all your lighting, but quality equipment is worth the investment.  And I'm pretty sure the they give growery members an added discount.  Message Night Train to inquire about that.  And it's nifty to support our sponsors.  They keep this site going.

As far as your planting medium.  You can do that pretty cheap. 3-5 gallon buckets, and then some fox farms soil and nutrients.

If your doing 1 400 watt light I wouldn't go over 2 plants unless your keeping them really small, and even at that with 1 400 you can't get them to big to begin with.

Buckets, I'd recommend 3 gallon if your going with the 1 400 watt.  12.98 for 2

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=724379&cartstatus=temp&custid=752117.2309

Soil, Fox Farms Ocean Forest  23.95
I don't add anything to this soil.  I've tried all sorts of combinations with adding extra perlite or vermiculite etc.  Never saw good enough improvements to make it worth it.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=714305&cartstatus=temp&custid=752117.2309

pH meter, just get one of the little drop kits either from your hydro store, or lowes/home depot. Like this one, can't imagine it'd be much cheaper anywhere else.  Now the electronic ones are definitely superior, but not necessary.  I used the drops for years with great success.  7.54

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=722145

And then just stick with Fox Farm all the way

Grow Big Nutrient  19.95

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=718500&cartstatus=temp&custid=752117.2309

Tiger Bloom Nutrient  19.95

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=718560&cartstatus=temp&custid=752117.2309

All this adds up to 512.07 including free shipping.

A little more than you were wanting to spend I know, but it will pay off in the long run.  Now I'm not including anything to keep down on smell at this point, like a carbon scrubber.  Depending on your living situation you may not even need it.  But for reference one through that site would be about 89.95.  You can also build your own carbon scrubbers, they're all sorts of teks out there showing you how to do that.

Also I didn't include additives like Liquid Karma, or Silica Blast, etc. etc.  I could name dozens.  But they're not a necessity, so don't worry about them until you get a bit more experienced in growing.

Another piece of equipment is a PPM/EC meter.  Not completely necessary but can help you fine tune your nutrient regimen.  If you have the extra cash go for it, just like the electronic pH meter.  You can also get ones that have both capabilities in the same tool.  Kinda handy if you can afford it.  But in all honesty just get a crop under you belt then invest in that type of equipment.

I also didn't include materials to build a tent or anything like that since I don't know what your grow room situation is like.  But those are easy to build on your own as well.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #554941 - 05/12/11 12:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nice job bro!!!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

Loc: South
Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #554947 - 05/12/11 12:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

To add a little to what hawksapprentice said...

You can buy the internals for a HPS or MH ballast quite inexpensively ($30-$50). If you are handy, you can wire these up in a radio shack project box, and you have a very inexpensive remote ballast. I did this, only I used a security light from lowes. It cam with a 75w bulb, I bought a 150W bulb when I looked up the ballast that was inside it and found that it was a 150W ballast :smile: I spent $79 on the security light, and it came with bulb and socket. The buckets I use, I got for only $1 ea. they are heavy black plastic. a friend gave me some lids with net pots built in, I think those are like $6 ea though. You can get off pretty cheap if you can do a little research and find out what might work, if professional "made for plants" stuff is out of reach. And it can be fun to build stuff and try to re-purpose things for your needs. I am poor so I only bought what I had to, and built the rest.

Edited by djnoktirnal (05/12/11 12:54 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: djnoktirnal]
    #555353 - 05/13/11 08:44 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

your major initial expense will probably be your light set up.  i'd recommend a 600w light with a digital ballast.  I'd also recommend some hydroton, and a bed that you can get at a hydro shop or the net.  then a res and a drip system with a pump and you've got it.  I thought a lot about the space I had before my first grow and figured what would be the easiest.  I didn't want to fuck with a bunch of dirt up here since i had an apartment.  So hydro was the choice.  it's pretty easy to maintain if you work the timers right.  Here's what i did.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleTOOLOGY719
The Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #556192 - 05/16/11 07:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

alrighty, gentleman. today i went out and bought a 1000 watt HPS bulb, a 1000 watt HPS/MH Ballast, and a nice hood. i would fucking LOVE to do hydro. im thinking of doing like 6 plants at a time. what would be a good, preferably cheap, EFFICIENT, system? you guys are amazing. thanks

Edited by TOOLOGY719 (05/17/11 08:58 AM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #556373 - 05/17/11 03:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

6 plants is a lot for 1000watts.  4 would be the most I would put under that. 

Do some research on DWC.  Easy to build and maintain.  I'd go into more detail, but don't have a whole lot of time right now.  If you have specific questions shoot me a message and I can help you out with it.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleTOOLOGY719
The Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #558519 - 05/26/11 12:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i had actually already settled on 4, thanks though!

i have my HPS setup, my CFL setup is on it's way in the mail, and i have this hydro kit also coming to me in the mail:
http://cheaphydroponics.com/store/hydroponic-systems/ebb-gro-multi-pot-hydroponics-system/prod_556.html

sorry if i violated any "sponsor laws" or anything, im not quite sure how you guys operate around here yet...

anyways, i have all this shit ready to roll. now i just need to pick up some nutes, hydroton, and clones. i believe that is all im going to need, correct me if im wrong.

does anyone have any tips they can give me before i start? any definite "to-do's" and "dont fucking try it's"?

InvisibleTOOLOGY719
The Dude
Male User Gallery

#558523 - 05/26/11 12:20 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i guess i need a pH kit too? shit, there is so much to learn

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

#558531 - 05/26/11 12:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, first grow and jumpin right into hydro, eh?  You're braver than I, my friend..

--------------------

"You're cool, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out.."

InvisibleTOOLOGY719
The Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: Hendershot]
    #558552 - 05/26/11 12:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i figure i might as well do it right. i have the patience, the space, the brainpower, the love, and the determination. i don't see why not, eh?

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

#558562 - 05/26/11 12:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I reckon.. I just know how easy it is to fuck up, even in soil. If I was absolutely dead set on going soilless, I would probably start with hempy buckets.. That will be my next move, after which maybe full hydro..

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #558604 - 05/26/11 02:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I personally feel hydro is easier, than soil.
Just my two cents.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleTOOLOGY719
The Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: Stoneth]
    #558608 - 05/26/11 02:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

good to hear. and with the Alex Grey profile pic, i'm gonna have no choice but to believe you :smile:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #558718 - 05/26/11 07:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Hendershot said:
I reckon.. I just know how easy it is to fuck up, even in soil. If I was absolutely dead set on going soilless, I would probably start with hempy buckets.. That will be my next move, after which maybe full hydro..

As I understand it one advantage to a hydro set up is that it administers the nutes and supplements immediately whereas with soil it's used over a longer period of time. 

I would suggest getting a green light bulb in your room so that you can also do work in their during the dark cycle.  the green light won't fuck with the photocycle at all.  you need to make sure that during the night time there is NO light leaking onto the plants at all.  This tends to cause hermis.  if you see any male stamen I would recommend you just pull it asap.  It's important to maintain the same light cycle throughout the grow.  Remember you are trying to mimic a natural environment and enhance it's efficiency and effectiveness. 

I would insist on these nutes:

General Hydroponics FloraNova Grow for vegging and Bloom for Flowering.  It's about as easy as it can get in cannabis cultivation.  yes, you will need a ph reader adn you will also need an EC or ppm reader.  I would recommend these cheap ph strips for measuring your ph...

just make sure it's in the range of the one in the pic above. 

you will need timers as well.  several of them probably.  fans, make sure you have plenty of air movement in the grow rooms.  reflective materials would be nice.  you should just get on fb and chat with me sometime over the next few days.  i've got time now, or will have starting next tuesday i guess.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: Total Noob here! getting started.... [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #558738 - 05/26/11 08:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well, there ya have it.. These guys are a lot more experienced than I. It just seems to me that for a beginner faced with a machine he's never operated, it's wiser to start with the more basic of two, as opposed to the more expensive one with 2-3 times as many moving parts, and that many more places for error..
I feel I need more experience with basic stuff before I invest in hydro- like letting my plants tell me what they need, and knowing how to give to them. But for some people, the only way to learn is to jump in feet first. I just prefer to ease in..
Any hoo, you're in good hands with these guys; they really know their shit, and have taught me a lot. Good luck!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom