Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Hydro Kit
    #554590 - 05/10/11 05:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hey all

so i have been looking to get into hydro just for the fun of it. I already have a few outdoor plants but id like to get a few indoors as well. I'm thinking about getting this growkit, comes with nutes lights and the DWC design.
http://www.caligrowkits.com/small-kit.php?id=1

Its only 100$ but seems like it'd do the job. I was also thinking about going down to lowes or something and picking up a few more floro tubes in different light spectrum for the later stages in life.

what yall think?

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hydro Kit [Re: chowdan]
    #554763 - 05/11/11 01:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i also found

this one:
http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/product.php?xProd=16&xSec=60

and this(extra 30$ youll get nutes and such with this one):
http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/product.php?xProd=47&xSec=61

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

Offlineaintgotnojob
Stranger

#554821 - 05/11/11 05:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The 2nd link you posted looks nice but I wonder how much it would cost to build it yourself?

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hydro Kit [Re: aintgotnojob]
    #554827 - 05/11/11 07:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I was curious about that aswell. I have een searching for hours and still haven't found a good guide to vltell me how to build it. I guess I'd only need a rubbermaid container and an airpump. Does anyone know a guide to build a dwc system? I might have to write one:)

--------------------

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#554862 - 05/11/11 11:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I guess i should be asking questions about this first.

Is DWC right for me? Im looking for a small system so i can grow in my studio apartments closet. I dont want a massive unit that will take up all the space. I dont want a super expensive electric bill but yet i dont want to spend alot (over 100$) for a full setup.

Is maybe a wick system for me? I'm thinking floro's due to the low power consumption and also the low heat. Less electricity spent on cooling. Im only planning on growing 4-6 plants so i really do want something simple and easy for a noob.

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

Loc: South
    #554873 - 05/12/11 02:24 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

IMO, DWC is the easiest hydro setup. It's really just a reservoir underneath your plants that has a bubbler in it. Aquarium air pumps and bubble stones work well for small set-ups.
In my experience, don't use a single reservoir for multiple plants if you are growing from seeds. Roots will be tangled, and when you chop the males you will not be able to get the roots out. This is only an issue with clones if you have to remove one for some reason.
all it takes is some sort of bucket with a lid. I got black buckets at the dollar-tree, and I use lids with net pots built in. the air line goes nicely down the pour-spout on the bucket. The plastic buckets that cat litter is sold in also work well. they are "square", but they are white or yellow in color most of the time.
I have been using a 150W HPS I made out of a security light from lowes. I put the ballast in a projct box, wired in a 3 prong power cord, and wired on a short cable and socket. The mogul light socket is wired to a length of cable with a 3-prong plug. This gives me a "remote-ballast" - I can position the ballast in a separate space. I used a heavy orange extension cord and extra sockent end (repair for extension cord) for wiring. I think it came with a 75W bulb, but the ballast is capable of using up to 150W bulb, which is what i am using now. I use a reflector that came from a salvaged 400W outdoor fixture like you would see on a ple in a parking lot, or at the base of a flagpole. (everything in it except the reflector and socket were bad)
:frown:
for a small space, I have used a bathroom vent fan and 4" ducting for a dryer. At that time my bulb was in a pyrex tube (cool tube type setup) The fan pulled air from inside my cab at the bottom, pushed the air through the tube cooling the light, and out of the cab. A "friend" broke my pyrex tube though. :frown:
  The fluorescent shop light fixtures work well for vertical side lighting, and clones, but i find the 4' length is a little long for using horizontally in a small space.

Edited by djnoktirnal (05/12/11 02:44 AM)

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hydro Kit [Re: djnoktirnal]
    #555021 - 05/12/11 04:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I am thinking about starting my first grow using just the basic DWC setup.

Ill be getting some female seeds from a dealer online. Thinking about getting feminized Kaya Gold, Northern Lights(Fem/auto), White Widdow, AK-48(fem), or Blackjack(fem). Using fems so that way i know i wont have any issues with males popping up.

Any strain recommended? Im looking for a larger yielding plant thats also hardy.

--------------------

Invisiblestarrider

#558603 - 05/26/11 02:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

In my setup I'm using Aeroponics and DWC. I think this is a very easy way to get started in hydroponics. The reservoir is contained in the same container as the plants. No need for an air bubbler, the spraying of the water creates the o2 the plants need. I have learned to trim the roots when they get to long. I haven't seen any harm to the plants yet. I even think it promotes more growth from the plant.

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything  I write is a lie. Any picture I post is a fake. I only write for entertainment.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck