Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
5 week of flowering, Brown curling leaves
    #554385 - 05/09/11 08:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?  Seed
2. How old are your plants?  73 days, 31 day of flowering
3. How tall are your plants? SCROG
4. What size containers are they planted in?  This plant, one gallon
5. What is your soil mix? FFOF with 30% added Perlite
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?  3-4 days when needed/Distilled
7. What is the pH of your water?  6.3-6.6
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Tigerbloom 2-8-4
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? no
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") 318 CFL Watts
11. How close are your lights to the plants?  10 to 12 inches
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 6
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 81-87 lights on 68-75 lights off
14. What is the pH of the soil?  6.5
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?  A few gnats and flies but they are under control
16. How much experience do you have growing? 4th grow

So flushed this one plant last night with a very light solution of Tigerbloom.  .5 ml per gallon of distilled water.  I opened my cab today and saw this. Close up in first pick and complete top view of plant in second pic.  It is just occurring on the top of the plants, the largest buds to be exact.  The temps have also gotten up into the higher 80's here in the last week for a few hours each day in my cab.  I have to keep the cab open during the lights on cycle, if not the temps can climb as high as 90.  Some times I'm not home to open it right at lights on.  Anyways, pics.

I'm thinking that it is a combination of the heat and the flush.  1 of my other 3 plants, the one in the hottest part of my cab, the back corner, is showing some signs of heat stress, but nothing like what you see in this pic.

Any ideas?

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrSinn
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 5 week of flowering, Brown curling leaves [Re: muse42]
    #554505 - 05/10/11 12:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Looks like heat burn to me.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 5 week of flowering, Brown curling leaves [Re: MrSinn]
    #554570 - 05/10/11 04:31 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Looks like classic nutrient burn to me man.  Do you have a PPM or EC reader??

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Re: 5 week of flowering, Brown curling leaves [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #554759 - 05/11/11 01:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I do not.I have always used distilled water and never thought a PPM or EC reader was needed.

This happened after a flush, due to salt build up, and I did not end the flush with any food. The next day it looked this way.  It was fed 5 days earlier and I flushed on the day it was to receive plain water.  Do you think the .5 ml per gallon x 3 gallons, pH'ed to 6.6 would cause it to burn?

I fed it a full strength dose, 3 teaspoons per gallon after I posted the first post and last night nothing seemed to have gotten worse.  I'm hoping this one just got burnt by heat and wanted some food.  I will keep a eye on it for sure.  I will post a pic tonight of it's current state.

Also, as the canopy on the SCROG gets thicker, the plants are needing to be watered less frequently.  Where I would normally feed every 8 days, which is about a once a week feeding, I'm finding my self feeding every 10-12 days.  That's closer to 2 weeks. 

Should I feed every week regardlessly?

Edited by muse42 (05/11/11 01:14 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #554779 - 05/11/11 02:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

EC and PPM meters allow you to control your nutrient solution to a more exact nature.  It's not just used to see what your tap water is at. 

You shouldn't feed with every watering.  It should be everyother watering at most.

It could be heat burn, but thats a little less common when using CFLs.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
    #554791 - 05/11/11 03:44 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

muse42 said:
Quote:

I do not.I have always used distilled water and never thought a PPM or EC reader was needed.

This happened after a flush, due to salt build up, and I did not end the flush with any food. The next day it looked this way.  It was fed 5 days earlier and I flushed on the day it was to receive plain water.  Do you think the .5 ml per gallon x 3 gallons, pH'ed to 6.6 would cause it to burn?

I doubt that watering with 6.6 pH burned it like that especially since your soil is at 6.5.

--------------------
x:tongue:

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Re: 5 week of flowering, Brown curling leaves [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #554830 - 05/11/11 07:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EC and PPM meters allow you to control your nutrient solution to a more exact nature.  It's not just used to see what your tap water is at. 

Well I did just break my pH meter.  Maybe it's now time to upgrade.
I do only feed every other watering, sorry If I was not clear on that.

My feeding/watering schedule looks something like this
Day 1 feed
Day 4 water
Day 8 feed
Day 13 water
Day 18 feed
Day 23 water
Day 29 feed
Day 35 water

As you can see the gaps between feeding are,
8 days
10 days
12 days

Like I said, I blame this on my Scrog canopy getting thicker and also I will add, my CFL light penetration to the soil being less effective.  I though that maybe this combined with the flush had deprived them of nutes, but I would not have thought that so much could happen over night.  I guess my pH could have been off on the water I used to flush???

Anyways here is a current pic, this is 2 days after a full strength feeding.  It looks about the same to me.

And a pic of the one I said was in the hottest part of my cab.

Up to this point my plants have been perfect.

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#554839 - 05/11/11 07:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I doubt that watering with 6.6 pH burned it like that especially since your soil is at 6.5.

That's what I was thinking, but what do I know.  I think I deprived and already hungry plant of food.  It was hungry, I flushed it, and then said no food for you.  I should have given it some food at the end of the flush.  I don't know what I was thinking. 

This second plant was about 9 days between feeding.  Here is a pic of the same plant 2 days ago.  I feed it yesterday.  I honestly don't remember how it looked yesterday, I was too focused on the worse plant.

see the large bud on the top left of the first pic to compare to todays pic.  It looked much better then, than today.  I does have some very small spots like the ones you see in the 2nd pic.  I don't know if this is because of it wanting food, or because of nute burn, or salt build up in my larger pots???  only time will tell.

Also, I raised the lights about 2-3 inches since the first incident.
If things get worse, I will water heavy in 2-3 days, and cut back from 3 to 2 tsp of Tigerbloom on the next feeding.

Edited by muse42 (05/11/11 08:00 PM)

OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast
    #554932 - 05/12/11 11:57 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This is my first post here.But from my experience that just looks like heat stress to me. the leaves havent changed color or twisted enough for it to be a nute burn. plus discoloration is common when your ladies go into flower. the plants start to focus more nutrients into the budding of the plant as apposed to the previous veg cycle. from what im seeing i dont think you really have anything to worry about.your flowers seem to be developing well. i usually keep my indica rooms around 80 - 85 degrees with a good intake fan going and like to leave my sativas no higher then 75. imo just give them some water. raise the light and see what happens and keep checking your PH, nitrogen and potash levels. what strain are you running just out of curiosity?

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Re: 5 week of flowering, Brown curling leaves [Re: Pernicious]
    #554940 - 05/12/11 12:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nirvanas AK-48

--------------------

OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#554956 - 05/12/11 01:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

sweet i haven't had the chance to run that strain myself. but its a really nice smoke :smile:

how are the ladies doing today? any improvement?

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Re: 5 week of flowering, Brown curling leaves [Re: Pernicious]
    #555084 - 05/12/11 09:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Just checked and they have not gotten any worse, so I would say we are good.  The new growth is fine.  The temps in the area have dropped due to a cold spell, which helps a ton.  i know it won't last though.

My least favorite thing about growing is that when something goes wrong, even if it's just a little bit, the damage your plant incurs will never heal.  It will always be there to see. 

This was also one of the most confusing things when I started growing.  I use to think my plants were going to die because they did not recover. Most of the time, I just made them worse by constantly trying to fix something that could not be fixed.  When I finally figured it out, it was like a huge weight was lifted off of me.

I don't know what I was thinking.  Why would dead tissue come back to life?:tongue:

--------------------

OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#555228 - 05/13/11 03:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thats good to hear :smile: and yeah i did the same thing when i started. and again when i switched to organic.after doing both for a few years i definitely prefer organic. i can get the same yields, better quality and there's a lot less headaches once you get it down pat. growing takes alot of time and patience and it took me forever to get over the fact that i cant always fix everything and to just let shit take its course lol.

but yeah keep us posted. im stoked to see how these ladies turn out :P

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

#555384 - 05/13/11 11:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

muse42 said:
Just checked and they have not gotten any worse, so I would say we are good.  The new growth is fine.  The temps in the area have dropped due to a cold spell, which helps a ton. 

hurray :rainbowcloud:

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#555428 - 05/14/11 03:07 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Todays pic
Day one of week 6

I think this is a Mg deficiency, but I don't know if it was caused by the flush, overfeeding, or even salt build up.  I'm leaning towards straight up deficiency because a few other plants are showing the same signs, but are not near as sever.  I have decided to give 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom Salt with tomorrows watering.

--------------------

OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#556012 - 05/16/11 06:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

did that epsom salt do the trick bud?

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #556013 - 05/16/11 06:51 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushrooMan420 said:
Quote:

muse42 said:
Quote:

PH out of range can inhibit certain nutrients which I'm guessing you were saying is why he wouldn't burn his plants but on the flip side have a pH problem(especially if the meter isnt right) can cause the plant to take up more of certain nutrients and not enough or none of the others.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Re: 5 week of flowering, Brown curling leaves [Re: mhbound]
    #556251 - 05/16/11 11:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Things are still holding steady.  It has been 2 days since the Mg feeding and new growth is looking normal.  I will keep a close eye.

--------------------

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

#556671 - 05/19/11 12:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Good to hear

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#556817 - 05/19/11 06:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The plants are just slightly worse.  I have some salt build up, but I'm  a week away from flushing them so I'm just going to wait it out.  N def has set in on all plants, and they are slowly loosing their fan leaves, but that is normal.

I did back off on the feeding last night, and will do the same on their last feeding.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies