Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinear1es
Stranger
CTB Gels With Metal Halide Lighting and Smell
    #554309 - 05/09/11 02:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Love the site

I have a couple questions

First timer here

I have a 1000 W metal halide with ballast and hood all set up

I am currently in veg

I was told that I could use some 1/2 ctb filters that would change the spectrum of the bulb im using to daylight

i tried searching for this but couldnt find anything about using ctb gels/filters anywhere

i thought that the metal halide was already in the correct spectrum but maybe im wrong?

second question

during the flowering stage

the steps that are taken to help eliminate smell:

ozone generator, charcoal exhaust and charcoal air scrubber

will these eliminate all smell if used correctly or just cut down the smell significantly?

thanks for the help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
Re: CTB Gels With Metal Halide Lighting and Smell [Re: ar1es]
    #554312 - 05/09/11 02:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

not sure about using filters on your lights, logic tells me that would reduce the "non-daylight" wavelengths from the light and bring it into balance by lowering it's efficiency. Not necessary imo, you can flower under MH just fine, popular opinion tends to prefer HPS but both will work just fine for both stages of growth.

for the smell, a charcoal air scrubber would work. ozone is potentially dangerous when inhaled, and expensive i would avoid it.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CTB Gels With Metal Halide Lighting and Smell [Re: Nanook]
    #554321 - 05/09/11 03:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You shouldn't be using MH for flowering.  It will work but you will yield significantly less.

No need for any type of filtering on your lights man.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinear1es
Stranger
Re: CTB Gels With Metal Halide Lighting and Smell [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #554328 - 05/09/11 04:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

using the metal halide for veg

plan on getting a hps for flowering

so the metal halide doenst benefit from a filter during veg?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #554330 - 05/09/11 04:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nope.  It's just fine the way it is.  They design these bulbs for growing plants.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinear1es
Stranger
    #554340 - 05/09/11 04:44 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I just read a bit

I saw on wikipedia that

"The main color correction gels are CTB (color temperature blue) and CTO (color temperature orange). A CTB gel converts tungsten light of 3200K to 'daylight' color. A CTO gel performs the reverse."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_correction

"There are also gels for color correction, such as CTB and CTO, "Color Temperature Blue", and "Color Temperature Orange" respectively. Color correction gels alter or "correct" the color temperature of a light to more closely match the color temperature of a film negative or the white balance of a digital imager. Specifically CTB, which is blue in appearance, will correct tungsten lights that typically have a color temperature in the range of 3,200 kelvins to 5,700 kelvins to more closely match the color temperature of "Daylight" negative, which is usually around 5,400 kelvins (nominal daylight[4]). CTO, which is orange in appearance, will correct a "Daylight" balanced light source (such as many common HMI bulbs) to match the color temperature of Tungsten negative, which is typically 3,200 kelvins"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_gel

Then I did some research on the MH that we have in the room an Im pretty sure its a 1000w enclosed MH made by venture lighting

i looked on their site

http://www.venturelighting.com/lampshtmldocuments/standardmetalhalide.html#1000W

and down where its shows the 1000w Es it also lists the color temperatures in Kelvins

Im not sure exactly which MH we have but the ones listed on there are 3700k, 4000k, or 5000k

if the light really is in this range then would the blue gel take it to daylight ???

Offlinear1es
Stranger
    #554888 - 05/12/11 06:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

bump

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #554930 - 05/12/11 11:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Im not 100% positive on this one, but I'm pretty sure that regardless of which bulb you have there is absolutely no need for any type of filtering.  As long as you have a MH that's designed for growing and not stage lighting.  But even then it should work just fine with out any type of filter.

What you posted didn't seem to relate to growing, or at least there was no reference to it that i noticed.

Carbon scrubbers and enough fresh air exchange can help bring smell down to ALMOST zero.  But you have to do some math and see how many cubic feet or air your grow room holds and get the appropriate equipment for the size of room you have.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #554943 - 05/12/11 12:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

My wife sales the stuff you are talking about, and they get this question all the time and they always say "no, it will not work.  You can not apply the effects of gel on stage lighting to grow lights"  Personally, I'm with Hawksapprentice on this one.  I'm not 100% either.  She also says that most of them buy it anyways. 
I will ask her and get some more info.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: CTB Gels With Metal Halide Lighting and Smell [Re: muse42]
    #555022 - 05/12/11 04:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I am 100%. Filtering is good for science fair projects to test the effects of various light on plants, but reducing the total lumen output and increasing heat on a grow can NEVER be beneficial with one minor caveat. Reducing harmful UV through filtering can be beneficial.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies