Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Twighlight Zone
Programable Logic Controlers
    #454971 - 08/04/10 09:31 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have taken a couple years in PLC's and was wondering if anyone has ever tried to incorporate this into a grow room operation.

I have a nice grow room design that i will soon be posted as we are building it from the ground up literally.  with a veg room and a flower room.

I want to be able to run all my temp controls, water controls, and ventilation with it.  And is it possible to incorporate this into a cell phone so that you can check on those things including ppm?

And what would be the best PLC to start an operation like this. 

Just looking for insight if anyone has any.

--------------------
Grow Room

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Programable Logic Controlers [Re: drSE]
    #455175 - 08/04/10 08:16 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It's definitely do-able, there are automated greenhouses utilizing this sort of tech all over the globe.

I'm interested to see what you come up with as I have often dreamed of the same kind of setup but haven't got the experience with the PLCs to even pursue the idea further.

I'll be watching this thread like a hawk so keep me posted :laugh:

--------------------

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#455378 - 08/05/10 11:58 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I found a site that could prove useful to you.Automating and Securing your Indoor Growroom

This site has a lot of the specialty modules you'll be needing ASI Home

--------------------

Edited by PapaKush (08/05/10 12:07 PM)

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Programable Logic Controlers [Re: PapaKush]
    #455531 - 08/05/10 05:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

oh yeah.  i will be doing this.

we just have the sub floor of the 2 room grow room built now.  have the insulation for it but haven't purchased any OSB for the floor yet.  I will be taking pictures as i go.

--------------------
Grow Room

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Programable Logic Controlers [Re: PapaKush]
    #455533 - 08/05/10 05:21 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
I found a site that could prove useful to you.Automating and Securing your Indoor Growroom

This site has a lot of the specialty modules you'll be needing ASI Home

this is some excellent information that i might approach.  seems like it takes all the fun out of programming though.  (NOT)

--------------------
Grow Room

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Re: Programmable Logic Controllers [Re: drSE]
    #455548 - 08/05/10 05:42 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It's awesome to see the changes technology is having on indoor cultivation methods. I'm interested to see how you do this. If you're taking pictures I would also request you 'tek' this process out for us here at The Growery as I'm sure I won't be the only one inspired to take it to the next level.

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#483125 - 09/28/10 03:15 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Some good advice above.  My familiarity with PLC are on the industrial side.  I can tell you that I have seen all of those things monitored by PLC in the past, but never at the same time.  I am certain it is doable.  You just need the right sensors, relays, and a PLC with networking capabilities.  If you used someone like Allen Bradley, Eaton, or Siemens this could easily put you over $1500 for a moderate sized room and you are still required to program the PLC and develop a web-space that can deliver you the information.  And this would be for monitoring, not controlling.

I would take a look at the greenhouse systems that are being offered.  I know there are some greenhouse companies that have developed proprietary PLC/HMI units and accessories.  It might be cheaper and quicker to go that route.

If you are going to build it yourself, you might want to check out AutomationDirect.com for really inexpensive parts.  They can't give a lot of tech support, but if you know what you want they might save you some coin.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Programable Logic Controlers [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #505099 - 12/12/10 09:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

work in progress.

this is just the flower room

it has linoleum flooring in it now with the floor safes underneath it.  Kenco security even

--------------------
Grow Room

OfflineT.G.U.N
Stranger

#551528 - 04/28/11 02:11 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I want to get a couple of these reef-keeper lite's. They can do tons of stuff starting at $119 which is up $20 from a little while ago. You have to add modules for certain things or you can get a pkg price. All the bells and whistles is like $500, net, history, graphing. Besides monitoring your "tank" you can set it to react to certain things like a power outage or it is getting to hot in your room. It can turn on a fan or shut off some lights. You can configure it many ways.

LOL I want one that is why I sound like I am selling it. I have been looking for awhile now.

It has a feature where if your power flickers out it will not turn your HID light on until after a 15 minute cooling off period. There are also Herpetology units that read the moisture and reacts to certain situations too. like "run the humidifier until 70% humidity is reached" "turn on mister (or plug X on the box or wherever you assigned it to)when 48% humidity is reached or exhaust the tent when it gets to your set temp.

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKL

Edited by T.G.U.N (04/28/11 02:13 AM)

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Programmable Logic Controllers [Re: T.G.U.N]
    #552029 - 04/30/11 10:31 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah.  i can only make it do certain things with programming like Tons/Toffs, open/close, etc...

as far as using meter's to react to the program i have never had the opportunity.  i imagine an electric reacting meter costs some $$

Everything else would be kind of easy.  Would be nice to self monitor your ppm of C02/moisture/temp from your cell phone.  <-- completely possible just $$ would be a big concern.  I still want to do this though.  If you haven't seen the grow room check out the thread in my sig entitle "Grow Room"

--------------------
Grow Room

OfflineT.G.U.N
Stranger

#552559 - 05/02/11 09:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I am waiting on money myself. I was just saying for a starting price like that...I have seen many different units (for growing specifically ) that are more expensive and only control one or 2 things. The light safety thing comes on all units built in so it doesn't cost more for that option. Other add ons do cost though, like the net module or extra four plugs ect.

you can get different probes. ORP measures oxygen in your water. ph, temp and even salinity but the salinity is only an advanced module and would need the elite unit. There is a trade in program where you can trade in the light version for the elite version later on.

Was just trying to help :smile: and I cant or haven't seen anything that will do that much for the price. Good luck looking :smile:

Offlineencryptor
Green Thumb #1
Male User Gallery

Re: Programable Logic Controlers [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #567020 - 06/24/11 11:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If I were to do it with a micro-controller I'd choose the Arduino.  For your size growroom, I'd choose a metal controller box which controls CO2 regulator, light cycle, timing on flood tables.  It all revolves around the timing of stuff, which requires some monitoring.  However, if your looking to buy a CO2 sensor, temperature sensor, light brightness (lux) sensor, soil moisture/PH sensor you could grow with precise measurements each time.  SCIENCE!:syringe::mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds