Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
PSN Fail
    #550769 - 04/26/11 04:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe. Everything else on file when it comes to your account is in the hands of the hackers.

In other words, Sony's security has failed in a spectacular fashion, and we're just now finding out about it. In both practical and PR terms, this is a worst-case scenario.
What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

* Your name
    * Your address (city, state, and zip)
    * Country
    * E-mail address
    * Birthday
    * PSN password and login name

"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.

Their advice is to be safe, rather than sorry. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."
What can you do?

You are warned to keep watch over your accounts, and to be aware of your heightened risk of fraud due to the security breach. "For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of e-mail, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information," the company said. "Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information."

Sony has also provided a wealth of sources for data and protection against identity theft.

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

To be fair, Sony does apologize for the inconvenience. There is still no update on when service will be restored, but that is the least of your concerns if you have a PlayStation Network account. It's time to change your passwords, at the very least, and if you're like to be completely safe it's not a bad idea to cancel your credit or debit cards and request replacements.

We'll continue to follow this story as it develops.

TLDR They snatchin yo' info up, so ya'll need to hide your credit cards, hide your address, cause they hackin erry body out here.

:urreallydumb:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Re: PSN Fail [Re: DungenessDank]
    #550775 - 04/26/11 04:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I was just thinking about how gay the PS store was a week ago too....damn.  This is really weird.  I'm sure it's got a lot more to it all than even this though.  It looks like it will be a very long time before the PSN comes back up, if at all "DUHN DUHN DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #550776 - 04/26/11 04:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:shrug: I use PSN cards.

Fuck I just wanna play online :mad2:

Just ordered Heavy Rain. Hopefully that will hold me over until they fix interets play :rolleyes:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineDRAGON
Doors of Perception
Male

Loc: Somewhere in the Universe
Re: PSN Fail [Re: RasJeph]
    #550830 - 04/26/11 06:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:awethumb: Great Job Sony! :nonono:

--------------------
"I know that I know nothing"

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: PSN Fail [Re: DRAGON]
    #550854 - 04/26/11 06:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

shit like this makes me want to pull the plug on my financial/digital connection to this world.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinelucas_southoz
Australian
Male

Re: PSN Fail [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #551093 - 04/27/11 02:41 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

They got peoples credit card numbers:thumbdown:

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: PSN Fail [Re: lucas_southoz]
    #551096 - 04/27/11 04:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I only ever downloaded free shit so they got nothing on me

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #551100 - 04/27/11 07:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Just finished reading this article on CNN. Crazy. Ive always gone Microsoft.

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: PSN Fail [Re: Picklez]
    #551110 - 04/27/11 08:14 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i cancelled my credit card connected to my account with psn. I think sony needs to reimburse us for this fuck up

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Edited by MR.HEADY (04/27/11 10:18 AM)

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: PSN Fail [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #551112 - 04/27/11 08:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Definitely. My PSN+ account is running out...:mad2:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: PSN Fail [Re: RasJeph]
    #551135 - 04/27/11 11:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Xbox live master race reporting in.

Feels good not having my personal info stolen.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

OfflineShaggy420
Male

Re: PSN Fail [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #551136 - 04/27/11 11:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

glad i bought COD on xbox :hehehe:

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: PSN Fail [Re: Shaggy420]
    #551137 - 04/27/11 11:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah im not addicted to cod and going through withdrawels or anything over here ,Fucking playstation bastards

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Offlinebeatyou5
owl
Male User Gallery

Loc: 512
Re: PSN Fail [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #551141 - 04/27/11 11:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MR.HEADY said:
i cancelled my credit card connected to my account with psn. I think sony needs to reimburse us for this fuck up

Im also a victim of sony's fuckup but you overreacted, just watching your bank account for suspicious charges is good enough, which you should be doing anyway...

Most people don't realize the risk of CC theft when using your card in daily life is just as big of a risk as using it online. Every time you hand your credit card to a waiter at a restaurant, a gas station clerk, etc you are risking your card info being stolen. Assholes have handheld card skimmers that can get your CC info without you really noticing, this happens all the time.

Also your card info is routinely stored on unsecured systems and transferred through unsecured networks, you're a lot more vulnerable than you think.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: PSN Fail [Re: beatyou5]
    #551148 - 04/27/11 12:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

beatyou5 said:
Quote:

MR.HEADY said:

Im also a victim of sony's fuckup but you overreacted, just watching your bank account for suspicious charges is good enough, which you should be doing anyway...

Most people don't realize the risk of CC theft when using your card in daily life is just as big of a risk as using it online. Every time you hand your credit card to a waiter at a restaurant, a gas station clerk, etc you are risking your card info being stolen. Assholes have handheld card skimmers that can get your CC info without you really noticing, this happens all the time.

Also your card info is routinely stored on unsecured systems and transferred through unsecured networks, you're a lot more vulnerable than you think.

My reason for not owning a credit card, and never intending to buy one.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#551152 - 04/27/11 12:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

As low as this fuck up it it's still nice not having to pay to play games online.  I don't have either but would probably still go with ps with that deciding factor.  And blueray.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: PSN Fail [Re: THEBats]
    #551156 - 04/27/11 12:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
As low as this fuck up it it's still nice not having to pay to play games online.  I don't have either but would probably still go with ps with that deciding factor.  And blueray.

But the thing is, I only have to pay for it when I want to play that. Regardless it's also only like 50 bucks a year.

Playing games online is over-rated too, I really find myself only interested in single player play lately.

I've got a 6-7 year old Xbox live account. :feelsgoodman:

PS3 is cool though, folding@home is run in the background of some special menu and you can leave it running it. I just hate Sony, and like Microsoft. Bill Gates is a Bro and gives shit tons of money away to charity.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#551158 - 04/27/11 12:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

But I think you need a live account to use services such as netflix ect as well.

And Bill Gates isn't even the CEO of microsoft anymore. I just don't like the marketing of the xbox.  It's genious from a business perspective but requires you to pay extra for services that are already included with sony.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: PSN Fail [Re: THEBats]
    #551191 - 04/27/11 01:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
But I think you need a live account to use services such as netflix ect as well.

And Bill Gates isn't even the CEO of microsoft anymore. I just don't like the marketing of the xbox.  It's genious from a business perspective but requires you to pay extra for services that are already included with sony.

There are a ton of things you can do online on xbox live without a gold account. Many times my account has been downgraded to a silver account and I still surfed xbox live and watched free trailers, play demos, and watch xbox  insider clips.

It's really not a lot of money though. Plus the interface is a lot smother to me.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #551231 - 04/27/11 03:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates