Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineChangsta
Rapper

I need help. Asap.
    #547790 - 04/18/11 11:27 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I've been living with my parents ever since birth, but now they have no money to support me and we're all being forced to move out of the house because they can no longer afford paying mortgage. As much as I would've hoped for this to be a nightmare, it has become reality. We are all splitting up and are going our own ways starting very soon.

I am 19 years old and I have a job that pays $500 every 2 weeks. I honestly never wanted to announce this in public, but I need as much help as I can get. I have no idea where to go and how to live. Can my minimum wage job savor me for the rest of my life? I definitely cannot pay for my community college anymore because I have to focus on paying the rent. Can anyone help me with the situation I'm in and how to live it off?

By the way, my friends are either dorming with friends in other colleges or living with their parents. Therefore, I cannot live/reside with them. I have no choice but to live with myself. I really need help asap. Please and thank you.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: I need help. Asap. [Re: Changsta]
    #547793 - 04/18/11 11:51 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

$1000 a month aint much to live off of, you should check the shared rooms section on craigslist. I've lived on less in a month when living with roommates. If you have a job and cash in hand you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a room to rent. I would save a $1000-$1500 before moving into a new place as a backup incase the living situation turns sour.

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
Re: I need help. Asap. [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #547798 - 04/18/11 12:00 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Feel for ya bro, usually there's roommates wanted posts on college campuses. If not, the slums always got vacancies- it's worked for me @ $400/month in bills total with no roommates either.

OfflineChangsta
Rapper

Re: I need help. Asap. [Re: budnectar]
    #547806 - 04/18/11 12:15 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Really? But the only thing bad about slums is that I'm afraid that there's gonna be bad shit down there, like robbery and even murder. I currently reside in New York, and since I'm gonna be needing a job somewhere else if I move far, I'm definitely gonna need a car or something. Damnit I really hate my life but thank you all for the support. It means a lot for someone to take this in consideration and to help a brother out

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #547811 - 04/18/11 12:26 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Have you looking into getting financial aid for school? I know there's lots of grants (free money!) out there you can get to help pay for your living expenses while you're going to school...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #547828 - 04/18/11 12:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You'll be fine but if I were you I'd start looking for a better job ASAP. Even with just a highschool diploma you could be making double what you are now. $10/hr full time would bring you $400/week and that's a pretty standard salary for 19 year olds in my opinion.

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Re: I need help. Asap. [Re: Tank333]
    #547832 - 04/18/11 12:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hey chang!

You will be all right. You may want to check with your college for extra assistance finacially. You can also get a little bit of help thru the state welfare program. Something you really need to consider is finding a better paying job. Time to drop the minimum wage part time gig and get a real job. Then consider sharing rent with room mates like stated already. But chang, what is your parents doing for a living? Why could you not just help them with rent, bills, and food. Instead of them supporting you help them out!

Things suck for a lot of people right now as far as living goes. Hang in there and be proactive. Don't wait till it all crumbles down and you have absolutly nothing! Good luck and wish you well!

Edit:
droid auto spell makes me look stupid!

OfflineChangsta
Rapper

Re: I need help. Asap. [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #547835 - 04/18/11 01:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
Have you looking into getting financial aid for school? I know there's lots of grants (free money!) out there you can get to help pay for your living expenses while you're going to school...

i dont think im gonna be attending colege either way..i never was the type to do well and nowadays in this kinda economy i think its like a waste of time even if i get in there for free. im gonna be needing to grab as every penny as i can get rather than investing in an unpromising future.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Hey chang!

You will be all right. You may want to check with your college for extra assistance finacially. You can also get a little bit of help thru the state welfare program. Something you really need to consider is finding a better paying job. Time to drop the minimum wage part time gig and get a real job. Then consider sharing rent with room mates like stated already. But chang, what is your parents doing for a living? Why could you not just help them with rent, bills, and food. Instead of them supporting you help them out!

Things suck for a lot of people right now as far as living goes. Hang in there and be proactive. Don't wait till it all crumbles down and you have absolutly nothing! Good luck and wish you well!

Edit:
droid auto spell makes me look stupid!

aww thanks for the optimistism! :laugh: and yeaah im def gonna consider finding a better paying job and that too. but my dad used to manage a karoake studio in the city but that closed down due to liquor violations since we had no liquor license. but even my money wouldnt be able to provide enough for the mortgage cuz it was just too much. but yeah ill def try to look at this on the bright side...salthough there really aint much for me to look forward to...

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#547843 - 04/18/11 01:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You have lots to look forward too brah!! From the sounds of it, your leaving the nest! Speading your wings as they say. Your young and have a full life of ups and downs brah! This situation is just a speed bump in the way. So go slow and get over it! Being a young adult can seem scary but it all works out in the end. You have to try and make it happen though! School is not a bad idea with the jobs at a shortage. I have friends who are nothing but professional students. With the financial help available, a part time job and a little planning you could do it. My friend is a full time student which has most of his schooling and dorm paid for from financial aid. He has a part time job for extra money to party with and survive off of. Shares rent with several roommates and has been doing this for about 3 years now. So school is a viable option.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#547848 - 04/18/11 01:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah that's basically everyone i know in a nutshell.

OfflineChangsta
Rapper

#547945 - 04/18/11 07:45 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
You have lots to look forward too brah!! From the sounds of it, your leaving the nest! Speading your wings as they say. Your young and have a full life of ups and downs brah! This situation is just a speed bump in the way. So go slow and get over it! Being a young adult can seem scary but it all works out in the end. You have to try and make it happen though! School is not a bad idea with the jobs at a shortage. I have friends who are nothing but professional students. With the financial help available, a part time job and a little planning you could do it. My friend is a full time student which has most of his schooling and dorm paid for from financial aid. He has a part time job for extra money to party with and survive off of. Shares rent with several roommates and has been doing this for about 3 years now. So school is a viable option.

thanks a lot dude i really do appreciate it :laugh: haha ill take everything u said in consideration as time goes on. fuck i really dont know what to expect, and as the days approach, idk what to expect @_@

--------------------

Invisibledrawde

#547965 - 04/18/11 08:37 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Personally I wouldn't go to college at least not immediatley unless there were financial options I knew were gauranteed to pan out, which probably boils down to only having well off parents to support you. You need to get your shit together and your head on straight to make this work, and get positive about this! Its understandable to be scared but thats just not going to help you at all, gotta get focused on the task at hand!

Some good advice given on trying to find a better job. Of course stay with this one until that happens and focus on cutting costs as much as possible. Start looking for someone looking for a room mate even if you are not moving out for a while yet as you will have more options. If you do find a living situation that suits you well but you still have a month or two before moving out jump on it and if it doesn't suit you you can still go back home for a little while and keep looking.

Make sure there is a decent space to do your own cooking in your living situation, which is one essential point to cutting your costs. If you have no experience cooking for yourself dont worry, it really is easy but is just a little bit of work, which either way you will be doing but just less in total if u take the time to cook for yourself. Food will be a large chunk of your expenses to start and will be double bad if your living on resteraunts/premade food.

If you own a car think about selling it or at least suspending your insurance if you can get to work fine without it, another huge expense.
If you can do without it dont get any cable or internet at your new place as that can be pretty expensive. Personally I would get internet knowing I would be better off with it being able to barter and find useful information online such as you are doing right now.

Make up a monthly budget of your income against all your living expenses/allowances and track it, at least until you are financially stable (always a good thing to do anyway) and track everything. Include a portion to save in this monthly budget unless it is totally impossible.

Once you are on two feet financially and mentally, think about your next step and wether that will entail a further education, a business venture, or finding a career.

Make business an interest if it is not already as it is so key!
You have it within you to be succesful, whatever success means to you. You do not even have to be smart, just driven, I have seen this proven time and again.

Of course don't forget to relax. :smile:

You can do this brother!
And remember we are always here to provide knowledge/moral support!

Feel free to PM me whenever as well. I am kind of in the same boat as you and can relate.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: I need help. Asap. [Re: drawde]
    #547968 - 04/18/11 08:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Awesome advice brah!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineChangsta
Rapper

Re: I need help. Asap. [Re: drawde]
    #548029 - 04/19/11 12:45 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
Personally I wouldn't go to college at least not immediatley unless there were financial options I knew were gauranteed to pan out, which probably boils down to only having well off parents to support you. You need to get your shit together and your head on straight to make this work, and get positive about this! Its understandable to be scared but thats just not going to help you at all, gotta get focused on the task at hand!

Some good advice given on trying to find a better job. Of course stay with this one until that happens and focus on cutting costs as much as possible. Start looking for someone looking for a room mate even if you are not moving out for a while yet as you will have more options. If you do find a living situation that suits you well but you still have a month or two before moving out jump on it and if it doesn't suit you you can still go back home for a little while and keep looking.

Make sure there is a decent space to do your own cooking in your living situation, which is one essential point to cutting your costs. If you have no experience cooking for yourself dont worry, it really is easy but is just a little bit of work, which either way you will be doing but just less in total if u take the time to cook for yourself. Food will be a large chunk of your expenses to start and will be double bad if your living on resteraunts/premade food.

If you own a car think about selling it or at least suspending your insurance if you can get to work fine without it, another huge expense.
If you can do without it dont get any cable or internet at your new place as that can be pretty expensive. Personally I would get internet knowing I would be better off with it being able to barter and find useful information online such as you are doing right now.

Make up a monthly budget of your income against all your living expenses/allowances and track it, at least until you are financially stable (always a good thing to do anyway) and track everything. Include a portion to save in this monthly budget unless it is totally impossible.

Once you are on two feet financially and mentally, think about your next step and wether that will entail a further education, a business venture, or finding a career.

Make business an interest if it is not already as it is so key!
You have it within you to be succesful, whatever success means to you. You do not even have to be smart, just driven, I have seen this proven time and again.

Of course don't forget to relax. :smile:

You can do this brother!
And remember we are always here to provide knowledge/moral support!

Feel free to PM me whenever as well. I am kind of in the same boat as you and can relate.

Everything you just said was the truth and I never looked at it in that kind of perspective but I will now! :laugh: Thanks bro! That really helped me in many ways and I shall start planning everything out before the time comes xP I appreciate it and I will keep them all in mind :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #548037 - 04/19/11 02:15 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

To sum up what drawde said never stop looking to the future and the next better step, once you get to your next goal whether it be financially or whatever don't settle and always keep looking to better your situation.

OfflineChangsta
Rapper

Re: I need help. Asap. [Re: jkell]
    #548082 - 04/19/11 09:37 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yessir I shall definitely take that advice and use it to my advantage. The time has soon to come x_x

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order