Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Loc: New Caledonia
Did Buddha use da Bud?
    #542264 - 04/01/11 08:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Does any one have any information regarding the buddha using marijuana.
I have heard he used to eat it but I have been unable to find any information on this topic.
If anyone has any sources please tell me!

--------------------
No one is free when others are oppressed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSaki
♠ ♣ ♦ ♥
Re: Did Buddha use da Bud? [Re: Doc]
    #542312 - 04/01/11 10:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Buddhism, in the religious sense, involves a mystical search for nirvana through the loss of self and emptiness. The ultimate goal of Buddhism is getting off the wheel of karma and becoming an enlightened being. 

The whole phenomenon of self and ego relies on duality in order to come into being. The self is not a thing in itself but a phenomenon that arises due to circumstances. When the circumstances are not present, the self is non-existent. If you take away the object, you take away the self. The experience of self always takes place in a state of duality. The sense of duality, of me here and the world out there, is the normal state of being for us all. This can be reduced to a state of individuality that the self will manifest.

Buddha acknowledged Dukkha, or suffering, as unregenerate life, or life as it normally is lived. The word was used in Buddha's day to refer to wheels whose axles were off-center, and bone that had slipped from their sockets; life as typically lived is out of joint, i.e. blocking creativity, and interpersonal conflict. The degree to life that is enjoyed is superficial, or not true, but supersedes despair at a specific depth. Egoism can be suppressed by spiritual exercises like meditation and Zen is mostly about meditation. 

Because of the devotion and disciplinary actions required to end suffering and the path required to reach enlightenment, drugs and alcohol are to be avoided. If you want more information about the teachings of the Buddha in the "four noble truths" which also outline the "eight-fold path," you can check out this website:

http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble.htm

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Loc: New Caledonia
Re: Did Buddha use da Bud? [Re: Saki]
    #545462 - 04/11/11 09:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I realize that using any drug will disrupt the higher levels of meditation and focus but that was not my question. I just wanted to know if buddha used bud or not because I have heard and read that he did but never found any evidence for it. Yet he never forthright says it is bad. Even though alcohol is prohibited in buddhism.
  But I really liked your reply it was poetic in a sense.

--------------------
No one is free when others are oppressed

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#545476 - 04/11/11 09:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well drug use in buddhism in general is looked down upon.

Also, wrong forum.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineSaki
♠ ♣ ♦ ♥
    #545900 - 04/13/11 01:49 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Buddha wouldn't have created rules he couldn't or didn't follow. Originally, Buddha was a Hindu and Hinduism shares a lot of the same qualities that Buddhism does, such as the ideas on mind altering substances, which manifests an attachment to the world in the dualistic sense.  Because it is apart of the necessary guidelines in the Truths, and the fact that he is the only one understood to have reached enlightenment, it could be asserted that it was not apart of his ritual.

Edited by Saki (04/13/11 02:13 AM)

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: Did Buddha use da Bud? [Re: Saki]
    #546221 - 04/13/11 09:14 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Not saying that all buddhists are against drugs, but the buddha being the main dude, wouldn't have used any drugs. Because of the fact that they are mind altering substances.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder