Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!)
    #538103 - 03/19/11 11:22 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

This is the second of these I've spotted. Pretty sure its some kind of pest egg :mad2:

There are no visible bugs in there except lady bugs and fruit flies...

The plants in the room are in flower. One is a week away from flower, a few are 3 or so weeks away as far as I can tell.

Fuck. I'm so worried now...its only on the leafs as far as I can tell. They are few and far-between (not in groups, this is only the second one). They are kinda shiny and not see-through.

FUUUUUUUUCK.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: RasJeph]
    #538118 - 03/19/11 12:25 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Well if you have fruit flies. Then there are definitely things living in your soil/medium.

The two pests I have seen that have adults with male wings and look like fruit flies are: Fungus Gnats and Black Winged Root Aphids and you better hope its the Fungus Gnats.

There are only a few throw away everything pests and the Root Aphids are one of them. They are fucking annoying and persistent and will never go away until you trash your garden and start over. I tried every single pesticide from Azamax to GoGnats to a systemic and it wouldn't kill them.

So if you have the time just spend 3 minutes looking at the top of your soil, look at the upper soil when it dries out. They are small and black and look like beetles almost.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: Dephect]
    #538119 - 03/19/11 12:27 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Also the fungus gnats have larvae looking offspring things in the soil. If that is the case go get some mosquito dunks and break them up over your soil and it will get rid of them.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: Dephect]
    #538143 - 03/19/11 02:45 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

I always have the fruit flies. They must be fungus gnats then. Are they really detrimental to my plants? They are all over my whole house, its not just the grow room. I'm not sure I could stop them.

I'm more worried about the egg I found :sad: but thanks.

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: RasJeph]
    #538156 - 03/19/11 03:02 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Hard to tell how big that thing is, but maybe a cockroach egg?

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #538175 - 03/19/11 03:58 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Yeah its really hard to tell.

They are both very harmful to plants.

Fungus Gnats can actually lay larvae in the soil which will eat into your root and stem structure, eventually causing it to rot and topple over.

Root Aphids eat on your roots in general and cause them to go from white to brown. They will seriously fuck up your plant. You will think your having a nitrogen deficiency at first, it doesn't start on the bottom leaves all the time. Eventually if you kill them its really hard to get their dead bodies out of your soil. Which in turn I think has effected my plants making them not come back from sickness. On top of that they are extremely hard to get rid off. Even guys at the hydro store were telling me they had to trash there whole garden to get rid of them, like me. Because they always have one egg remaining and they always seem to come back no matter how hard you hit them with any amount of pesticide.

How I knew I had a problem was when I saw a whole bunch of dead fliers on my tent floor because of my Hot Shot No Pest Strip, it kills every insect within 5 ft of it. But then I noticed the roots of my DWC lady had a whole bunch of grey, white, black, red things crawling around on the roots. Those are root aphids.

But no really you should seriously double time and investigate. Here is a really good ongoing thread about them nasty ass Root Aphids.. They can multiply really really fast.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=159960

Edited by Dephect (03/19/11 04:05 PM)

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #538196 - 03/19/11 05:02 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Hard to tell how big that thing is, but maybe a cockroach egg?

:awedisgust:

I've honestly never even seen a roach.

And its tiny. About the head of a needle. Not the point, but where you thread it. So, the bigger end.

--------------------

OfflineFlying_Dog
Last man standing
 User Gallery

Loc: Underground
    #538209 - 03/19/11 05:26 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Looks like the common house fly egg.

OfflineCannasaurus
Pollen Chucker

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: Flying_Dog]
    #539776 - 03/24/11 08:12 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Assuming that's wood, it could be any NUMBER of species but I do agree with the egg hypothesis. Keep an eye out.

And I feel your pain on the fungus gnats. I got them using Root Organix soil and now I can't get rid of them. Very bothersome.

--------------------
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: Cannasaurus]
    #539918 - 03/25/11 05:51 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Actually, I stuck a bigger fan in there blowing directly on them all 12 daylight hours and haven't seen another one.

I only saw 2, so hopefully whatever it was is gone now :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#539968 - 03/25/11 10:55 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

It sounds like fungus gnats to me, and not fruit flies. Fungus gnats attack your roots, and also eat away at the soft stems of clones and other young plants.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Edited by Jeff Funk (03/25/11 11:17 AM)

Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery
    #540613 - 03/27/11 06:41 AM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
I always have the fruit flies. They must be fungus gnats then. Are they really detrimental to my plants? They are all over my whole house, its not just the grow room. I'm not sure I could stop them.

I'm more worried about the egg I found :sad: but thanks.

Get one of those sticky traps for flies. It will lower their count FAST and soon there will be none to mate. :wink:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: c99hunter]
    #540636 - 03/27/11 08:32 AM (13 years, 5 days ago)

some food grade diatomaceous earth will also help with getting rid of a fungus gnat problem.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: coda]
    #540695 - 03/27/11 11:26 AM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

some food grade diatomaceous earth will also help with getting rid of a fungus gnat problem.

So Coda.  How does one apply this to already potted plants.  Do you just mix it in with the top few inches of the soil?

Also, does it affect pH in any way?

Thanks

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fucking invaders! (please help before it gets out of control!) [Re: Cannasaurus]
    #545558 - 04/12/11 08:59 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Cannasaurus said:
And I feel your pain on the fungus gnats. I got them using Root Organix soil and now I can't get rid of them. Very bothersome.

that's the soil i'm using and i've had an insect problem too. this is what i've been using, left one side on and cut the other three out with a razor and then stick it at the base of the plant where they like to hang out.

i bought a second one, and within a few hours I counted over 25 flies on it.  $3 at walmart

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale