Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Guitar players: Input required
    #536560 - 03/13/11 01:21 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

I am in need of a new amplifier.  Nothing too huge/fancy though.  i know jack shit about amps and what to look for in picking one out.  Got a fender strat and am going to pick it up again and start playing, but I'd like to have a nice amplifier for it.  So, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?  Budget is up to $400 or maybe a bit higher.  not sure.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Guitar players: Input required [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #536570 - 03/13/11 01:48 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Fender blues junior.

This thread has a track I recorded with it when I first got it.  Also was recording with an american strat in the clip.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/509500#509500

This is actually the one I got, I paid slightly cheaper for it though.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Series-Blues-Junior-III-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H12886&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=597755093

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (03/13/11 02:06 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Guitar players: Input required [Re: THEBats]
    #536579 - 03/13/11 02:08 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

wow, that sounds pretty awesome.  I doubt I would be playing much blues on it though.  How do you think it'd sound playing rock music like tool, radiohead, mars volta, deftones, etc?

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#536580 - 03/13/11 02:16 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Well it's a very clean sounding amp, you would want some distortion pedals.  It can get crunchy on its own though but more in a 70's rock kind of way.  I mainly use my 5150 combo if I'm playing anything heavy.  Those can be picked up for about the same price if you look hard enough, and they have about the best distortion for any amp out there for the price.  Eddie van halen used to use them until he broke away from peavey and formed his own amp company which markets essentially the same amp at a higher price.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (03/13/11 02:17 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#536583 - 03/13/11 02:23 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

my old amp (the only one i have, and got in 6th grade with my first guitar) was a peavey.  it's ok, but is worthless now.  I've also got several pedals that i think still work.  Used to have a wah pedal and that was a lot of fun.  had a grunge one too, then got a multi-effects pedal (digitech rp200) that has all sorts of shit on it.  im thinking about tripping and playing some guitar after a bunch of sober practice.  See if it will help me flow better. 

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineBeekEr
HandBanana
 User Gallery

Loc: canada Flag
    #536595 - 03/13/11 03:00 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Vox AC30, i Play a squire threw one right now, amazing sound! Also They have alot of smaller amps similar to that model. In your price range too!

But its all about what sound you want, and most times just trying all kinds of different amps and can help you find that certain sound.

--------------------

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
    #536599 - 03/13/11 03:09 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

I'd tell ya I got a Fender frontman 212R 100w amp and I'm selling it cheap cheap cause I got a cabinet I prefer. But I'm sure shipping and handling on 50lbs probably isn't worth it. It's a good cheap one to start with but I wouldn't bring it to the stage.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #536728 - 03/13/11 11:53 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
my old amp (the only one i have, and got in 6th grade with my first guitar) was a peavey.  it's ok, but is worthless now.  I've also got several pedals that i think still work.  Used to have a wah pedal and that was a lot of fun.  had a grunge one too, then got a multi-effects pedal (digitech rp200) that has all sorts of shit on it.  im thinking about tripping and playing some guitar after a bunch of sober practice.  See if it will help me flow better. 

Wow, I have the RP200 too.  Also have the RP300 with artist effects, but they both fucked up on me.  I mean, they still work, but the up/down pedals are fucked up.  Haven't used them in quite some time, but they do sound great.

Anywho, about amps, I like Crate amps, and they are in your price range.

That amp is the one I currently have.  I got it for 525 on sale.  Before that I had the 65 watt version of the same series, I think.  I know it was a 65 watt crate, a newer one anyway.  To me, Crates are for people that want that Marshall, Mesa sound on a budget.  They sound good to me.  Look up Crates man, you might find something you like for a decent price.

This is the 65 watter I was talking about, sounds really good, and is pretty loud actually.  Look into it man, it's pretty sweet.  Crate GT65.

--------------------

Invisibledrawde

#536859 - 03/14/11 03:47 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

The most important thing is you get a tube amp!

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Guitar players: Input required [Re: drawde]
    #536862 - 03/14/11 03:50 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Yes.  There are some nice solid state amps out there, but they really can't compare to a good tube sound.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#536895 - 03/14/11 05:46 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
The most important thing is you get a tube amp!

Not necessarily the most important thing.  Tube amps do sound great, but they're also more expensive, and he said his budget was only around 400 I believe.  In that price range, for the rock sound he's lookin for, I personally don't think you can beat the Crate:shrug:

--------------------

Invisibledrawde

Re: Guitar players: Input required [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #536898 - 03/14/11 05:54 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I guess I am a purist or old fashioned or something, but I would never waste my money on an amp without tubes, thats like mashed taters without the gravy. I have seen little tube practice amps that had "better tone" than 1k+ solid state half stacks.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#536899 - 03/14/11 05:56 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

A used 5150 would be within his price range, well a little higher than 400, is all tube and has a great rock sound imo. 

I would also take the sound of a small tube amp over a higher powered solid state any day.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (03/14/11 05:58 PM)

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#536902 - 03/14/11 05:59 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

That 5150 is a nice amp.  Played through one a while back, sounded good.  I've personally never owned a tube amp, played through them, never owned though, but aren't the tubes expensive to replace when they take a shit?  I've heard they are.  I would imagine so for the high end Marshalls and Mesas, right?

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#536904 - 03/14/11 06:03 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

For the two power tubes you're looking at $40 each, and I forget how much the preamp tubes cost.  When I bought it the guy gave me a bunch of extra tubes that I've mixed and matched to find the sound I want, and haven't had to replace them in the year and a half I've had the amp or so.  I also don't practice too often on the amp though because of it's ear splitting volume, need to get a volume pedal.  But nothing beats cranking that thing on high, well on 3 :lol:.

As far as marshalls and mesas it's no more expensive, there's many different brands of tubes to choose from, all which add their own unique color to the sound.

Edited by THEBats (03/14/11 06:04 PM)

Invisibledrawde

#536910 - 03/14/11 06:29 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I have had my all tube half stack for three years now and the tubes are just fine, although I dont play electric much but it has seen quite a bit of use. If you warm/cool the tubes properly they should last a long time. Some amps are only on/off and no warmup though.

--------------------
King Koopa said:

OfflineGrateful
Philthy
Male

#536917 - 03/14/11 06:51 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Depending on the type of music you play.... I would probably say a Line 6 amp is the best cheapish amp. You can get alot of power and sound out of your $500. And its pretty felxible on its sounds.

--------------------

InvisibleiwasaClown
Imagining.
Male

Re: Guitar players: Input required [Re: Grateful]
    #536930 - 03/14/11 07:27 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I pawned my amp, i wish i hadn't.:frown:

--------------------
"...And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual."

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#536940 - 03/14/11 07:37 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
I have had my all tube half stack for three years now and the tubes are just fine, although I dont play electric much but it has seen quite a bit of use. If you warm/cool the tubes properly they should last a long time. Some amps are only on/off and no warmup though.

Well I'm pretty sure those amps warm and cool on their own while other amps have a standby switch which you start to warm it up.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Invisibledrawde

#536948 - 03/14/11 07:40 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Not from the ones I have seen, the channel was active almost as soon as you flipped it on, meaning full power.
Perhaps some do though, idk.

--------------------
King Koopa said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom