Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineincrediblyedible
Stranger

Stakes, Plant Support
    #532094 - 03/02/11 02:38 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Hello everyone! i am a regular on the shroomery sister site and i've decided i want to be a part of this site as well. It has great potential i feel.

SWIM was looking for tips on best ways to stake a marijuana plant to give it support. There aren't many things on this site yet beside low and high stress training(LST/HST) yet and that's not quite what is needed

I will search the interwebs and find techniques for staking, not necessarily cannabis, and amass them here. Feel free to post links or info you find as well!

Here goes!

"Setting stakes requires a little more work and forethought. In reference to even a single plant, the plural is still intentional. There are few plants that can be satisfactorily supported with a single stake. If you have a green enough thumb (plus properly enriched soil) to realize a plant’s maximum potential, the greater the need for additional ones. The bad reputation heaped on stakes doubtlessly arises, in part, from the common inclination to set just one to a plant and attempt to tie 15 or 20 heavy side branches to it, while trying (without much success) to retain the natural shape ‘of the plant.

The trick is not to tie in to a single stake, but to set out as many as required. Obviously, each branch need not be individually staked. If enough (usually about two to 4 in addition to the main stem) are securely anchored, the others gain support by indirection. To a considerable extent, each of us must be guided by conditions in his own garden — the nature of the plants plus the expected violence of the weather.

Now that the stakes have been set, the plant must be tied to them. Do not disrupt all, the good work thus far by choosing the wrong tying material. Neither string nor wire in any form will do. They may be strong enough to support the stems, but they will also cut right through them. Raffia has long been the stand-by for tying, and is still good. My personal preference is for broad (one-half to one inch) strips of cloth dyed dark green. With the hollow stems of the numerous dahlias I grow, I would never feel safe with anything narrower. Plants with much lighter stems can, of course, be tied with, a correspondingly narrower material. Whatever its size, think in terms of loops rather than knots. The latter at the stake, of course, but loops around plant stems. Otherwise there may be a misjudgment on the ultimate diameter of the stem, and it may continue to expand to be cut or choked by the tying material."
http://www.organiclawncaretips.com/how-to-correctly-stake-plants/

"Stake Corrals,
L-Shaped metal stakes,
Brush thicket or pea staking,

Single Staking-To use this technique, poke a wooden or bamboo stake into the ground 2 to 3 inches from the plant stem. It should be pushed deeply enough into the soil to be solidly secure. Loosely tie each plant stem to this central stake every 6 inches along the stem's height. First tie the string around the stake with a half-granny knot, allowing an inch or more of slack between the stake and the plant stem. Then tie a full-granny knot around the stem.

As the plant grows taller, add ties further up on the stake 6 to 8 inches apart. The topmost tie should be located at the base of the flower spike. All of the branches can be tied to a single stake in the center of the plant."
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/how-to-stake-plants1.htm

"#5
Drive the stake into the soil so that it is slightly lower than the height of the plant. By placing the stake low, it will not be as obvious and you will be able to enjoy the beauty of the plant rather than the support structure.
Use covered wire or strips of used nylon stockings to secure the plant to the stake. Coated plant ties are available in garden supply stores. The tie should be attached loosely so that it doesn't cut into the bark or stem of the plant.
Secure the tie to the stake, not the plant. The tie material should begin at the stake, make the form of a figure 8 and be tied securely to the stake with a knot or twist. Again, the tie begins at the stake, loops around the plant, crosses over itself and ties to the stake.

Never use uncoated wire to tie a plant to a stake. The wire will eventually cut into delicate stems.

Try not to damage the roots when staking plants."
http://www.ehow.com/how_172742_stake-plant.html

Edited by incrediblyedible (03/02/11 04:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stakes, Plant Support [Re: incrediblyedible]
    #532098 - 03/02/11 03:13 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I just use bamboo poles and twist ties. If your growing bushes I have seen the tomato support things work really well. I might actually try them next time I got some bushes.

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
Re: Stakes, Plant Support [Re: incrediblyedible]
    #532101 - 03/02/11 03:46 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

i use screws and dental floss along with whatever is around the pot or the pot itself.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale