Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMahavatar
At Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Quebec
Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? * 4
    #527932 - 02/16/11 07:03 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid
Once in the body, most cannabinoids are metabolized in the liver, especially by cytochrome P450 mixed-function oxidases, mainly CYP 2C9. Thus supplementing with CYP 2C9 inhibitors leads to extended intoxication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2C9
CYP2C9 is an important cytochrome P450 enzyme with a major role in the oxidation of both xenobiotic and endogenous compounds.

In the CYP2C9 article under CYP2C9 Ligands there's a chart entitled Selected inducers, inhibitors and substrates of CYP2C9. Cannabinoids are listed as a minor substrate, amentoflavone (constituent of Ginkgo biloba and St. John’s Wort is listed as a strong inhibitor but hyperforin (constituent of St John's Wort) is listed as a weak inducer.

I'm no scientist so maybe I missed something and am way off with this. I happened to have some St. John's Wort kicking around and took 600mg about an hour ago but i'm on my third day of what was supposed to be a week long tolerance break, so i'm not going to be able to tell if its working but i'm gonna try it anyway. What do you guys think?

--------------------
Most people consider the course of events as natural and inevitable. They little know what radical change are possible through prayer. Every morning I offer my body, my mind and any ability that I posses, to be used by Thee, O infinite creator, in whatever way Thou dost choose to express Thyself through me. I know that all work is Thy work, and that no task is too difficult or too menial when offered to Thee in loving service.

Paramahansa Yogananda.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Loc: Neither here nor there
Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: Mahavatar] * 2
    #527940 - 02/16/11 07:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

let me know what happens...

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: Big_tiggy] * 1
    #528097 - 02/17/11 04:55 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

idk i just love to say ginkgo biloba.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: RasJeph] * 1
    #528109 - 02/17/11 06:44 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

:lol:

Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Loc: Cannafornia
Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: Mahavatar] * 1
    #528332 - 02/17/11 10:39 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I was recently talking about this same exact thing over on the shroomery!...

I was curious about what enzymes metabolize cannabinoids, as to find an inhibitor for those specific enzymes and to do some experimentation...And through some research that's when I came across finding that Ginkgo biloba so happened to possess those properties. I had been taking Ginkgo for a while, and realized that's probably why I get so lifted most of the time...

Here is the original post I made>>>

Quote:

openmind said:

....I've noticed there's been times that I've become much more stoned than friends while smoking more or less the same amount. Generally I am a bit more sensitive to "drugs" than most...But, after doing a little bit of research I've come to the conclusion that the Ginkgo is playing a major roll in this...

I've found out that Ginkgo contains a powerful inhibitor of P450 enzymes. Guess what enzymes THC and most (if not all?) cannabinoids are metabolized by?...P450 enzymes. Specifically CYP2C9, CYP2C19, and CYP3A4 which Ginkgo inhibits....:strokebeard:

Quote:

The Ginkgo biloba extract EGb761 was tested for its ability to inhibit the major human cytochrome P450 enzymes (CYPs). The full extract was found to strongly inhibit CYP2C9 (Ki = 14+/- 4 microg/mL), and to a lesser extent, CYP1A2 (Ki = 106 +/- 24 microg/mL), CYP2E1 (Ki = 127 +/- 42 microg/mL), and CYP3A4 (Ki = 155 +/- 43 microg/mL). The terpenoidic and flavonoidic fractions of the extract were tested separately against the same P450s to identify the source of inhibition by EGb761. The terpenoidic fraction inhibited only CYP2C9 (Ki = 15 +/-6 microg/mL) whereas the flavonoidic fraction of EGb761 showed high inhibition of CYP2C9, CYP1A2, CYP2E1, and CYP3A4 (Ki's between 4.9 and 55 microg/mL). The flavonoidic fraction was further fractionated using extraction and chromatography. Inhibition studies indicated that the majority of these fractions inhibited P450s at a significant level (IC50 < 40 microg/mL).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15147983

Quote:

THC is metabolized mainly to 11-OH-THC (11-hydroxy-THC) by the human body. This metabolite is still psychoactive and is further oxidized to 11-Nor-9-carboxy-THC (THC-COOH). In humans and animals, more than 100 metabolites could be identified, but 11-OH-THC and THC-COOH are the dominating metabolites. Metabolism occurs mainly in the liver by cytochrome P450 enzymes CYP2C9, CYP2C19, and CYP3A4.

Anyway, thought I would share that with you all...

Perhaps the effects of these enzyme inhibitors would be more noticeable from consuming cannabis orally? Another thing that came to mind, I'm not positive but I think the metabolite of THC may possibly be more "potent" than THC itself. So there for inhibiting the enzyme that metabolizes THC could slow down the process of of changing THC into this (more potent) metabolite, making a decrease in effects?....

I'm really curious about this, I'm rather sensitive to most substances but I'm also very observant in subtle differences in effects I experience...From my experience, I most definitely think there is an increase in the half life of THC (and probably most cannabinoids) from Ginkgo...So simply put, yes it seems like the high does last noticeably longer.

*I've been taking Ginkgo for 2 years or so, with a month long break every 3-4 months. And I do smoke daily, with a relatively low tolerance as I generally only smoke 0.1g to 0.3g a day.

:stoner:

--------------------

OfflineMahavatar
At Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Quebec
Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: openmind] * 1
    #528402 - 02/18/11 10:57 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome. I'll definitely be getting myself some ginkgo biloba and give this another shot. I'm pretty sure it worked the other night with the st john's wort but it also contains a mild inducer so the ginkgo would def. be better.

I don't know about the metabolite being more potent but I don't think it would cause any decrease in effects cuz even with the inhibitor its going to get metabolized eventually.

And almost 3 years after joining I finally made it to 100 posts. Long Live Growery :superbanana: :potleaf:

--------------------
Most people consider the course of events as natural and inevitable. They little know what radical change are possible through prayer. Every morning I offer my body, my mind and any ability that I posses, to be used by Thee, O infinite creator, in whatever way Thou dost choose to express Thyself through me. I know that all work is Thy work, and that no task is too difficult or too menial when offered to Thee in loving service.

Paramahansa Yogananda.

OfflineCarcass

Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: Mahavatar] * 1
    #528408 - 02/18/11 11:51 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I use Gingko Biloba to reduce the drug's side effect which I used named "quetiapine". I took 25 miligrams of Seroquel every night before I sleep, and took a Ginkgo Biloba Extract capsule. Quetiapine makes your sleep like hell, makes you sleep for very long times like 12 hours. With the help of Ginkgo It lasts for like 9-10 hours.

Ginkgo Biloba is a stimulative as far as I know, helps the brain to focus on more healty. I don't think it is suitable for lengthen your "Stoned Period".

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: Carcass] * 2
    #528433 - 02/18/11 03:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

:strokebeard: Interesting.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Loc: Cannafornia
Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: Carcass] * 1
    #528783 - 02/19/11 05:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Carcass said:
...Ginkgo Biloba is a stimulative as far as I know, helps the brain to focus on more healty. I don't think it is suitable for lengthen your "Stoned Period".

Technically it's not a stimulant. In a pharmacological sense it doesn't work like your classical stimulants (Caffeine, ephederine, etc...)...

Really when it comes down to it, physically, the only thing that ginkgo does is dilates blood vessels and improves blood flow through out the body. But as a result of this most people notice enhanced concentration & focus, as well as memory over time. It could also be said that it boosts stamina a bit, perhaps gives some energy in a way.

I do think it is suitable for prolonging the effects of cannabis. Not from it's common vasodilator properties, but the fact that it contains some potent enzyme inhibitors....

:stoner:

--------------------

Offlineninja cat 09
Made you look
Male

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: Using St. John's Wort and/or Ginkgo Biloba for longer lasting high?? [Re: openmind]
    #529382 - 02/21/11 03:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I remember waking up with a weed "hangover" and taking a ginko bilboa vitamin tablet, about an hour later I had a strong headache/intense head rush. Might have been something else though, memory is kinda fuzzy.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds