Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShaggy420
Male

US: Bill would ban medical pot clubs
    #520782 - 01/29/11 04:38 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Zane McMillin

The State News

Wednesday 26 Jan 2011
Medical marijuana users might be out of a public place to toke up if a bill introduced to the state Senate last week becomes law.

The bill, introduced by state Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, would ban the formation of medical marijuana bars and clubs.

It would not apply to what commonly are referred to as compassion clubs, where current or potential medical marijuana users congregate to discuss issues such as how to obtain a permit for cannabis cultivation or use.

Rather, Jones said the bill seeks to stop "on-premises smoking." That means medical marijuana users would be barred from smoking the product at a dispensary or location they might drive from after smoking. Smoking at a private residence would not be prohibited by the bill.

"If a dispensary is going to dispense, that's fine," Jones said. "(But) take the prescription home, don't use it at the premises and drive away."

The bill would not amend the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act of 2008, a ballot proposal passed by 63 percent of voters, but would amend a law from 1978 that governs numerous aspects of public health policy.

In explaining the background of the bill, Jones referenced an incident from summer 2010 where television cameras took footage of medical marijuana users smoking pot outside a Williamston, Mich., dispensary, then driving away after use. That dispensary subsequently was raided by police.

"You cannot drive under the influence of marijuana and other drugs, not even a little bit," Jones said, adding even those who walk to and from their destinations put themselves at risk.

Despite being less than a week since its introduction, the bill has raised the ire of a statewide pro-marijuana group.

Rev. Steve Thompson, executive director of the Michigan chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML, said Jones is wrongly tampering with provisions of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.

Thompson said the Williamston incident is regrettable, but argued such activities already are banned under the 2008 law.

"The law speaks for itself and does not need to be tampered with," Thompson said. "They're all crying foul and saying this law is poorly written. This law was written in the broadest and simplest of words in order to protect us from people … changing our law in any shape or form."

Jones said the law's broad nature means legislators need to clarify some of its aspects.

"We're not trying to ban dispensaries in this bill," Jones said. "We're simply trying to stop people from consuming on premises."

It is unclear when the bill will be taken up by the Senate. It has been referred to the Senate's Health Policy Committee, and the committee's chairman, state Sen. Jim Marleau, R-Lake Orion, has not yet scheduled a meeting this week, aide Ryan Burtka said.

Meetings do not necessarily have to be scheduled until 24 hours before they are set to take place, he said. The committee typically meets on Thursdays.

In any case, Katie Carey, spokeswoman for Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer, D-East Lansing, said Whitmer "looks forward to reviewing any legislation that provides public safety to the citizens of Michigan."

http://www.statenews.com/index.php/article/2011/01/bill_would_ban_medical_pot_clubs

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: US: Bill would ban medical pot clubs [Re: Shaggy420]
    #521142 - 01/30/11 06:02 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Dear Sen. Rick Jones

DO SOMETHING THAT HELPS PEOPLE. IGNORE MEANINGLESS TRIVIAL LEGISLATION PLEASE.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: US: Bill would ban medical pot clubs [Re: DungenessDank]
    #521319 - 01/30/11 06:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I honestly cannot believe this.  This might was well be a law requiring j walkers to run instead of walk across the street.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: US: Bill would ban medical pot clubs [Re: SmOakland]
    #521924 - 02/01/11 09:41 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
I honestly cannot believe this.  This might was well be a law requiring j walkers to run instead of walk across the street.

Have I ever mentioned I hate the fact that jay walking is illegal? If someone wants to walk across the street, a motor vehicle can take the whole like 10 second out of their drive to let them go by. One time I had someone speed up to 70 inside town because I was walking across the street. I flipped him off and accepted they were just a D-bag (i wished i had a roll of quarters for his from window though).

But yea, pointless bill. I'm not even sure if there is any proof that marijuana intoxication can inhibit driving abilities.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #521936 - 02/01/11 10:08 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
Dear Sen. Rick Jones

DO SOMETHING THAT HELPS PEOPLE. IGNORE MEANINGLESS TRIVIAL LEGISLATION PLEASE.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offlinefour20west
Stranger

Re: US: Bill would ban medical pot clubs [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #522464 - 02/02/11 06:58 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Sence we the people have found a way around there "illegal" laws they have to do something to stick it to us in the end.  I think there needs to be a law that states anyone without a medical card can not alter the law.

How about spend your time wisely and arrest these cops using stolen cards to bust dispensary's.  I love how we the people have to fallow there "rules" yet cops that are pos to uphold the law get away with breaking it....

This country is getting more n more like china.  I think American revolution 2 needs to come....

Offlinefour20west
Stranger

Re: US: Bill would ban medical pot clubs [Re: four20west]
    #522814 - 02/03/11 06:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

So having a safe place to smoke where kids are not aloud is a bad idea?  this law will only make more people smoke in there car or on the street.  These people need to pull there heads out there asses and give up already. 

Legal marijuana is what the people want.  Making new laws to cover a law that was made in 1937 isn't going to stop us from doing what we want to do.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#522818 - 02/03/11 06:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

four20west said:
So having a safe place to smoke where kids are not aloud is a bad idea?  this law will only make more people smoke in there car or on the street.  These people need to pull there heads out there asses and give up already. 

Legal marijuana is what the people want.  Making new laws to cover a law that was made in 1937 isn't going to stop us from doing what we want to do.

Or these people could just smoke inside their homes like a person that doesn't want caught.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: US: Bill would ban medical pot clubs [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #522861 - 02/03/11 07:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Smoking weed in public without fear is like a whole new drug.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#522911 - 02/03/11 09:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Wouldn't the fear be what would be making it different?

--------------------

Offlinefour20west
Stranger

Re: US: Bill would ban medical pot clubs [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #524257 - 02/07/11 12:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Its not about getting "higher" because im out in public.  Sometimes your just on the move.

Tell me your going to drive across the country and not smoke at some point on the road. :rolleyes:

We shouldn't be held back from what we can and cant do.  Freedom is freedom inst it?

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#524288 - 02/07/11 06:27 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

four20west said:
Tell me your going to drive across the country and not smoke at some point on the road. :rolleyes:

We shouldn't be held back from what we can and cant do.  Freedom is freedom inst it?

Well... I usually don't smoke on road trips. The last road trip I had was to get a shit ton of weed so it was hidden so there was 0 smoking on the way there and back. Are you telling me you cant drive across the country and not smoke; besides I don't think I've left the town I live in for like almost a year.

Also, i don't drive cars.

And for clarification the safest place to smoke is in your home away from anything that can cause you any trouble. It's how many an old person has gone their entire lives without being caught, I plan on not getting caught (because you know, getting caught pretty much fucks you for life if you want a college education).

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals