Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: drawde]
    #507028 - 12/20/10 02:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
Ebony and flamed maple, and diesel. :grin:

I am gunna go christen this bitch. :yesnod:

Edit: That was one of the most satisfying smokes ever, knowing it was your own piece.

That looks really cool.  I wanted to do something with multiple woods, but I only have regular wood glues and epoxys in my garage.  I am concerned about breathing that in.  Did you use anything special to join the wood?

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledrawde

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #507056 - 12/20/10 03:33 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks!

I used regular wood glue.
First of all the area of glue join that will be contacting the stream of smoke or heat is very small (just inside the bowl). Also, with a well clamped lamination (I used 3 C-clamps here) the pressure on the join will easily be in the hundreds of pounds just on that little piece, so the actual amount of glue in the join (given the pieces are flat) is in the microns. Its really nothing to worry about and is negligible at best.

I still would not use epoxy though. If you are still concerned you can try hide glue, I dont use the stuff personally.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: drawde]
    #507066 - 12/20/10 03:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I have only made hide glue once.  It worked well in leather on leather and leather on wood applications.  I did not try wood on wood, but it is an idea.  The only drawback I found with it, besides prep time, was that its smelled awful.... really bad.

I am pretty nervous about smoking glue.  God only knows what huffing rubber cement did to me 30 years ago!

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisibledrawde

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #507079 - 12/20/10 03:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Like I said, the glue line is sooooo very tiny and covered with a finish that it is trivial to worry about. Yellow wood glue is not that toxic anyway, drinking a can of diet soda is like a million times worse for you.

Hide glue has been used for ever as a wood glue, it is just as strong as polyvinyl wood glue. Its a pain to use though as you know.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Loc: Square in the heart of Mi... Flag
    #507558 - 12/21/10 08:43 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
Like I said, the glue line is sooooo very tiny and covered with a finish that it is trivial to worry about. Yellow wood glue is not that toxic anyway, drinking a can of diet soda is like a million times worse for you.

I agree the glue that wasnt squezed out by all the pressure put on it by the C'Clamps would be so minimal that it would not be of any real concern I feel.

--------------------
Choice Wooden Pipes & Dugouts that are the BOMB! www.edstnt.com

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: EdsTnT2666]
    #508295 - 12/23/10 05:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The dugout arrived today and it is amazing!

I was going to be happy having a beautiful looking piece for my collection, but this is also an extremely well built dugout.  I really like the fit and function of the slide top.  I can tell it is going to last a long time.  Also, the care kit you included is a great touch.  None of the pipe shops near me offer craftsmanship of this caliper and they never offer care kits for free.

I am extremely happy.  Thank you!

Are the care kits standard with pipe orders?

--------------------

Invisibledrawde

#508299 - 12/23/10 06:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Way cool! If I didnt have the means to make virtually anything I want out of wood I would definitely be buying some things from Ed! :thumbup:

--------------------
King Koopa said:

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

#508714 - 12/25/10 05:13 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
The dugout arrived today and it is amazing!

I was going to be happy having a beautiful looking piece for my collection, but this is also an extremely well built dugout.  I really like the fit and function of the slide top.  I can tell it is going to last a long time.  Also, the care kit you included is a great touch.  None of the pipe shops near me offer craftsmanship of this caliper and they never offer care kits for free.

I am extremely happy.  Thank you!

Are the care kits standard with pipe orders?

Wow, thank you for those awesome words on my work, thats what its all about.

Well the extra free goodies aren't quite as elaborate with he pipe as they are with the dugouts. You will get a free pipe cleaner and screen to get you started.

I am gonna copy and paste em at my feedback page. I really hope you enjoy it and thanks again for the feedback.

Get some pics up for all to see!

--------------------

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: EdsTnT2666]
    #508901 - 12/26/10 05:54 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hello and good morning, I hope everyone has had a Merry Christmas and are looking forward to the new year as much as I am. Just got really good feelings about it and am excited to see them get here!

Leaving out this afternoon for a week in south Texas for a hellova bird hunt, gonna be out there for dove, duck, and goose! I only take a week off once a year and now is the time. Mrs. Ed and I have had a great time sharing Christmas with the boys, watching their smiles grow from ear to ear as they got closer to the presents under the tree yesterday morning.

I have had a small raffle idea that I put into work for a one of a kind piece at another forum I am at. Its working really well and when I get back from this week off I am gonna do it here as well. I made a couple of one of a kind tokes from the rarest Australian Burls found there. Got an old friend up in Idaho that came across another old timer that has a small stash of burl woods, he bought a few chunks for both of us. Australian burl is very expensive, they manage the burls over there, they monitor its growth, harvest it when it has reached large enough size, measure it all over, record it, and then mark it for sale. The burls there continue to grow on the tree and do not kill it, so it is a renewable natural resource, only the most choice gifts from Mother Nature!

I only wish you all many blessings in this next year and look forward to another great year with you all here!

Thank you,
Ed

--------------------

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #509641 - 12/29/10 07:45 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I hope you had a merry Christmas as well and I can't wait to hear about this raffle idea :thumbup:

Good luck hunting, and remember if it flies it dies

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: jkell]
    #509664 - 12/29/10 11:23 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jkell said:
I hope you had a merry Christmas as well and I can't wait to hear about this raffle idea :thumbup:

Good luck hunting, and remember if it flies it dies

Hello, all things are good, had a great christmas and am havin a hella time out here hunting, got 9 ducks monday, 8 yesterday, and damned if we didnt get rained out today, but are going back in the morning and am lookin forward to killing a limit fo sho! Thanks for the well wishes, this raffle is gonna be cool, its for a great cause, not for myself, I think you will dig it.

I wish you a happy new year and pls be safe!

--------------------

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #509999 - 12/30/10 04:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Nice haul:thumbup:, Waterfowl was how I got started so I'll always love it, but to me there's nothing like watching my dogs work a field for some roosters. Plus I like the way pheasant tastes more too, but if someone know's how to cook a nice glazed duck then I'm all for it.

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: jkell]
    #510352 - 01/01/11 06:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Happy new year everyone, had a few awesome hunts out there in TX, got 17 birds after it was all said and done. Feeling alot of great things happening this year, headed out to the CHAMPS show in Vegas in February, should be alota fun!!! Am gonna try and get a Raffle going for a one of a kind Australian Burl Toke, I have only made two from different species, that are some of the best burl I have ever worked, they are very dense, finish like fine polished stone, very rare stuff. So I hope everyone will be on the look out for my upcoming giveaway.

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
    #510354 - 01/01/11 06:22 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm definitely interested! After viewing your website for the first time in real detail I'm actually very impressed with your craftsmanship :awesomenod:. Being an Aussie local myself I would love to be able to own a piece of handcrafted Australian wood, especially one I could smoke!

--------------------

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: T-Rex]
    #510378 - 01/01/11 10:04 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
I'm definitely interested! After viewing your website for the first time in real detail I'm actually very impressed with your craftsmanship :awesomenod:. Being an Aussie local myself I would love to be able to own a piece of handcrafted Australian wood, especially one I could smoke!

Hello and thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate that, thats what its all about it!

I do hope you will participate and wish you luck in the raffle I should have up this week.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies