Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinex7x_x7x
cultivando en la miseria
 User Gallery

why hydroponics?
    #500764 - 11/25/10 07:09 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

why hydroponics is better than soil? more yields, more potencyy?

Edited by x7x_x7x (11/25/10 07:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: why hydroponics? [Re: x7x_x7x]
    #500766 - 11/25/10 07:22 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It is not necessarily better.  Results vary on your situation and skills. 

You should read the forum stickys (at the top of each forum) before posting basic questions like this.  You are likely to get blasted for not following simple forum guidelines.  The Main Site also has a lot of the generic information.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: why hydroponics? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #500769 - 11/25/10 07:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You can have a better control over the nutrients the plant is receiving, grow off season, control how tall your plants get and decide when you want to flower them.

yields probably would be better off a plant grown outdoors, i cant see any manmade light being as good for plants as the sun, and the taste of outdoor bud is quite amazing, i know i can taste and see the difference in the buds, that isn't to say i havent smoked alot of fantastic hydro bud though

--------------------

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: why hydroponics? [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #500833 - 11/25/10 03:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Inbred_gimp said:
You can have a better control over the nutrients the plant is receiving, grow off season, control how tall your plants get and decide when you want to flower them.

yields probably would be better off a plant grown outdoors, i cant see any manmade light being as good for plants as the sun, and the taste of outdoor bud is quite amazing, i know i can taste and see the difference in the buds, that isn't to say i havent smoked alot of fantastic hydro bud though

I think the question is directed more towards the Hydro vs. Soil indoors and less towards the outdoor vs. indoor argument. But back to OP, IMO there isn't a whole lot of a difference between hydro and soil, it mostly comes down to personal preference and your grow space, etc.

I have also heard soil grown organic bud has a taste unlike any other, haven't been able to test this theory myself unfortunately.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: why hydroponics? [Re: jkell]
    #501528 - 11/28/10 07:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I have also heard soil grown organic bud has a taste unlike any other, haven't been able to test this theory myself unfortunately.

I did.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/262585#262585

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: why hydroponics? [Re: Magash]
    #501584 - 11/29/10 07:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

I did.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/262585#262585

Nice post magash, great read :thumbup:

Offlinegrbrlt
Kenny fuckin' Powers

Re: why hydroponics? [Re: jkell]
    #501657 - 11/29/10 12:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hydro is much faster, less work,and cleaner but has a more expensive start up cost over a bag of dirt, overall weight and quality are close to the same. but with soil, overfeeding or nutrient deficiencies may not show up for a day to three and then it's more difficult to save the plants life and you lose grow time by a week or more having to revive it, if possible. And were do you put all that used soil people will notice the the large amounts of perlite after it rains you just dump the hydro nutrients down the drain or on the outside garden for the spring.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: why hydroponics? [Re: grbrlt]
    #502149 - 11/30/10 09:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hydro isn't necessarily more expensive than soil growing.

Soil is more forgiving, deficiencies are rarer in soil and take longer to correct but in hydro they get worse far far quicker. You don't exactly lose plants to nutrient deficiencies EVER and you would need to be a complete clown to KILL your plant from over fertilizing which some growers do when they see deficiencies from nutrient lockout and increase their feeding solution.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Loc: Peoples Republic of MA Flag
Re: why hydroponics? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #502208 - 12/01/10 12:43 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Complete clown here :wave: working on my first grow with hydroponics and things are going amazingly well - I am shocked myself. My houseplants don't manage as well as the weed in my basement. I didn't find that it was all that expensive to set up a hydro system, and if you can follow the directions on a box of brownies you can handle the nutrient schedules. The only thing I would like to add is that I find it much cleaner than working with soil, no mud spills, transplanting, etc. When I need to change my reservoir I just pump it right down the drain to the washing machine.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: why hydroponics? [Re: Goombah]
    #502519 - 12/02/10 06:27 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Clown status is reserved for those growers who don't learn from their mistakes.

OfflineTayanissa
Stranger

Re: why hydroponics? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #503097 - 12/04/10 09:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I went hydro because they say that its faster. You are also supposed to get a higher yield. Check out this link it will give you a idea about hydro.http://www.weedfarmer.com/cannabis/hydroponic_guide.php

Edited by Tayanissa (12/04/10 09:32 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds