Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleXochipilli
Strangerer

Grandparents and Ganja Extraction
    #501748 - 11/29/10 09:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hi guys, I know this is a long first post but any help is much appreciated. I haven't done the proper amount of searching through your forums to really be posting yet but I fly home in a few days and don't have alot of extra forum digesting time.

I'm trying to decide on the best way to teach my grandmother to do an extraction for my grandfather. She's an excellent cook so she's basically a chemist, I could explain the rudiments and she'd understand it all. The final product would need to be in a lipid so she can cook with it but I'm not sure what the various shelf lives of the different oil extracts are. Is there a difference when you use canola oil, olive oil, or butter? I'm not interested creating pure oil, it needs to end up in solution but if the storage needs to be in ethanol that could be done. I would have her reconstitute it into the cooking fat. The other aspect of my problem is dosage. I'd like to be able to give her fairly precise control over his dose. Neither of them are drug savvy so I don't want to blast them into hyperstoned space, I'm looking to cut his pain, he can't take NSAID's or painkillers so I see this as a very viable option.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction [Re: Xochipilli]
    #501757 - 11/29/10 09:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Welcome!!
Why not just make some cannabutter?
There's like hundreds of recipes around.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #501774 - 11/29/10 10:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

X-

use 7 grams chron or 28 grams shake per stick of butter

boil half a pot or crock pot of water.  Add butter and weed.  Turn down heat and let it simmer for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.  after 4 hours, strain the cannabis (squeeze it out) out and put the liquid in the fridge.  The butter will rise to the top and can be taken off and used, the water can be discarded.

There are plenty of youtube vids of this process.

InvisibleXochipilli
Strangerer

Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction [Re: SmOakland]
    #501828 - 11/30/10 05:04 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You guys didn't read my post. I don't need any recipes for canna butter, that's not what I asked for. I can run an extraction on this stuff 100 different ways, I don't need a tek, just a comparison. What method is your favorite any why?

I need info. concerning the long term storage of an extract for cooking and any tips or tricks concerning dosage that someone may have developed.

Much thanks for the replies

Invisiblecoda

Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction [Re: Xochipilli]
    #501872 - 11/30/10 09:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not interested creating pure oil, it needs to end up in solution but if the storage needs to be in ethanol that could be done. I would have her reconstitute it into the cooking fat.

Olive oil would probably be your best bet.  It has an amazing shelf life unlike butter.  It's also very easy to work with and is a healthier choice to cook with.

You also need to keep in mind that regardless if you're buying or growing your cannabis, the potency will vary from batch to batch.  So each new batch of oil your grandmother creates should be tested each time with small doses until you find the sweet spot.  Since your grandparents are presumably pretty old they should start small and work up, too much at once can be a very bad thing with edibles.

I'm not entirely certain on how accurate this is, but, you can get an idea of how much you're putting into each dose of oil by just creating a ratio of oil to bud.  IE if you Use 100 ML of olive oil and 1 gram of bud then you have a dose of .01 grams of bud per ml.  So a 50 ML dose would be the equivalent of .5 grams of bud.  Again it's not as accurate as that, but it can help give you an idea of how much you're consuming.

Hopefully that helps you out, however this seems like less of a hash thread and more like a cooking thread.  Want me to move this to the culinary forum for you?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction [Re: coda]
    #501904 - 11/30/10 10:16 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Im pretty sure the shelf life of these are all the same if you put them in the freezer.  You could also make cookies or brownies and put those in the freezer too. 

I dont think there are any tricks for dosage, especially b/c my tolerance varies.  You have to calibrate for yourself starting with small dosages.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction [Re: SmOakland]
    #501905 - 11/30/10 10:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the freezer

:thumbup:
unless your saving the extract for like a year, salted cannabutter in the freezer should last a long time.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleXochipilli
Strangerer

Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction [Re: coda]
    #501919 - 11/30/10 10:42 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Much thanks Coda-I'm still not too familiar with your forums, just saw oil and thought my post belonged here. I'd appreciate the move to culinary.

I'm hoping to just do the whole batch together with them so I'll probably be testing it on myself:grin:. The calculation you gave will be helpful in simply finding a starting point, .

The freezer sounds like a good idea, I'll probably go with the olive oil for the health aspects but I hadn't considered freezing the butter, that seems very feasible.

Invisiblecoda

Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction (moved) [Re: Xochipilli]
    #501933 - 11/30/10 11:33 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

This thread was moved from Hashish, Oils & Tinctures.

Reason:
This is more suited for our culinary forums.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction (moved) [Re: coda]
    #502537 - 12/02/10 09:33 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You CAN make butter from ISO hash. I have a thread on it in here somewhere. I couldn't find a place on the internet about it.

It works much the same as making cannabutter from plant material, except you don't need to simmer it for hours on end or strain it. You can just melt down your hash into the butter and use the butter. The only simmering you have to do is blending the hash with the butter.

I made 2 grams of hash into 1 stick of butter and its a bit much even for me, and I'm a daily smoker. 1 gram would prolly be sufficient for your grandparents.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleXochipilli
Strangerer

Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction (moved) [Re: RasJeph]
    #502574 - 12/02/10 01:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

About how much of the cannabutter do you use at a time Ras? Just some on a biscuit, or more in a dish like brownies?I really like that idea though, it would really cut down on needing them to do anything, I could just bring my grinder over...its got plenty of goodies beneath the screen.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction (moved) [Re: Xochipilli]
    #502771 - 12/03/10 12:28 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I was experimenting with using the hash, and I used 1 stick of butter for 9 or 12 cookies, I don't remember. I do know the cookies are too intense, and half a cookie is more than enough for most people. I ate a whole one the first time and it just knocked me right out lol.

I'm not sure about pressed keif hash, my recipe used iso hash extracted from trim/popcorn buds.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleXochipilli
Strangerer

Re: Grandparents and Ganja Extraction (moved) [Re: RasJeph]
    #502821 - 12/03/10 04:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

cool, thanks for the input, muy helpful

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds