Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
How long should I veg.
    #501380 - 11/28/10 08:39 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ok so I have been doing some reading.  It appears that there is no real specific time when one should change their light cycle to 12/12 and start flowering.  So people flower weeks into veg, others months.  I have read that you can expect a plant to stretch anywhere from 2 to 4 times vegitative growth.  So If I can't go much over 4ft tall then I should flower at around a foot?  I am growing from bagseed so I have no Idea what I am working with.  Based on what I have read they seem to be of an indica dom strain.  Naturally a shorter bushier plant.  But with that being said i would assume that I shouldn't expect a 4x growth spurt so i might be ok with vegging to 2ft tall?  Basically i am asking opinions on the matter.  at this stage in my grow I suspect atleast another 3 weeks to a month before i will be to that point.  But i am curious.  I am adding a picture of my best looking plant for reference.  I don't know if it will help but worth a shot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrbrlt
Kenny fuckin' Powers

Re: How long should I veg. [Re: sveumy]
    #501392 - 11/28/10 09:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

personal choice, if you  want to take a small plant and flower it that's okay but do you want to wait almost three months to get a few grams. first thing grow a mother then you can see what size is best for you, if you have only one light i say grow a bigger plant you can tie it down if you have to, i usually don't prune it down either feel it's not necessary. If you have a perpetual harvest size and time  is no issue, but bigger plants require more attention, nutrients, and patience. but pay off in the end, with a better yield and understanding of what is being done. And when you don't feel like trimming those larger plants all the way down you get a set of ice water extraction bags and have fun!

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: How long should I veg. [Re: grbrlt]
    #501393 - 11/28/10 10:00 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

after you initiate flowering expect the plants to grow 2-3+ times bigger than they are now in the first 3-4 weeks of flowering, they grow like a fucking madman...So it all depends how big you want your plant.

Mother plants(the ones we take clones from) stay vegging forever..

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: How long should I veg. [Re: mhbound]
    #501395 - 11/28/10 10:21 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I have a basic understanding of the cloning process.  I haven't gone real indepth with it because I have one light and i am currently growing bagseed.  I just recently got some pretty decent seeds.  well the smoke that they came from is the best i've had in a while so I figure i can do alot more with those seeds then I can with what i planted. 
This is my first grow.  I basically wanted to see if I could do it and an idea of what my yeild would be.  Next I will be planting better quality and probably taking a mother.
So to further answer my question.. if i am looking for a 3-4 foot tall plant for harvest then i should beable to switch to flower in say a week or two?  current height ranges from 3-8 inches.  I planted at seperate times and I have stunt growth via over watering, nuet and ph issues. correcting now.

Offlinegrbrlt
Kenny fuckin' Powers

#501411 - 11/28/10 11:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

what they haven't said is that if you have a hps for flowering it will make the plant grow taller than if you flower with a metal halide or other type of light. bagseeds aren't always shitty they may just not gotten the best growing conditions but it could still have quality genes stored inside. remember people grow for two reasons make money or high quality, Patience grows better plants!

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: How long should I veg. [Re: grbrlt]
    #501419 - 11/28/10 12:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

definately.  thank you for the insight

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #501507 - 11/28/10 05:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I have limited space and usually flower at 1 foot of height, which is usually around the 3rd or 4th week.  The mexican bag seeds I grew would finish in between 3 and 4 feet usually closer to 3.  These were very sativa dominate and took 11-13 weeks to flower. My first two grows were bag seed and were a blast.  Good Luck

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: How long should I veg. [Re: muse42]
    #501517 - 11/28/10 06:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

thanks man

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#501521 - 11/28/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I grow so I don't have to spend money any more and so I don't have to smoke mexican brick weed, with only god knows what in it. 
I made this decision when I found plastic in an ounce.

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#501537 - 11/28/10 09:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

damn.  Yeah i think at that point i would be looking at different avenues as well.  I grow because I am tired of the brick weed, concerned with the transactions involved in obtaining even brick weed, and I am hoping to find a nice combination of medicinal and recreational smoke.  I love to smoke but i also use it for medicinal purposes.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How long should I veg. [Re: mhbound]
    #503053 - 12/04/10 04:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
after you initiate flowering expect the plants to grow 2-3+ times bigger than they are now in the first 3-4 weeks of flowering, they grow like a fucking madman...So it all depends how big you want your plant.

200-300% stretch is rare with plants that are vegged for a while ie 1.5 months

There's a lot of factors to determine stretch. Including but not limited to.

- Amount of vegetative time. Plants vegged for say 6+ weeks won't stretch nearly as much as seedlings/clones flowered 12/12
- Color spectrum (Red to far red ratio, blue light effecting crytochrome response responsible for elongation)
- Light intensity (in upper, lower, and inner canopy)
-Tempearure and temperature difference (between night and early morning)
-Nutrients (over abundances of N and P will cause stretching) some growers myself included will feed high N nutes to assist stretching to reach the desired height with a shorter veg time)
-Pot size, I have a haze plant in a 2litre pot that's been vegged for several months before flowering and it's only 4.5 ft tall and didn't stretch virtually at all, clones taken from this plant stretched a lot. Given root space and plenty of nutrients to "capture" the stretch clones achieve a mature height of 6ft.
-Plant growth regulators/retardants

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: How long should I veg. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #503847 - 12/08/10 03:28 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you all for your insight.  Obviously fearing an over growth I am starting flower in a week.  This due to some, in my opinion, huge growth spurts.  I think they are all looking pretty good so far. here are some pictures.

Edited by sveumy (12/09/10 05:05 AM)

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#504051 - 12/08/10 06:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They look great!

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#504114 - 12/08/10 10:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

thanks muse.  I am pretty happy with they way they are looking now.  we will see how flowering goes and how many I loose durring sexing.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#504140 - 12/09/10 12:58 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

how many do you have room for to flower?

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#504180 - 12/09/10 05:04 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

At this point I have no idea.  It will ultimately depend on how much they grow.  I have 7 plants from seeds so I can't really pull a 50/50 split I imagine I will be fine with 4 enless these ladies decide to get really bushy on me.  fortunately if I have to I can add another light to spread them out more.  If I get a better sexing then 50percent then well we will have to see what happens.  I hate to destroy any because I run out of room. 

It also just accured to me that I have the perfect room for a bigger grow with perfect ventilation....... Shit what do I do with the washer and dryer.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#504331 - 12/09/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Laundry Mat

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#504332 - 12/09/10 07:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I am seriously considering that option.  I would have to get rid of the units that are in there.  But I know a repair man that is always looking for parts so I am good there. 
The area is double what I am using now with no height restrictions and has built in exshaust ports......  a drain in the floor.  hmmmmm

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: How long should I veg. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #504784 - 12/11/10 01:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

mhbound said:

200-300% stretch is rare with plants that are vegged for a while ie 1.5 months

There's a lot of factors to determine stretch. Including but not limited to.

- Amount of vegetative time. Plants vegged for say 6+ weeks won't stretch nearly as much as seedlings/clones flowered 12/12
- Color spectrum (Red to far red ratio, blue light effecting crytochrome response responsible for elongation)
- Light intensity (in upper, lower, and inner canopy)
-Tempearure and temperature difference (between night and early morning)
-Nutrients (over abundances of N and P will cause stretching) some growers myself included will feed high N nutes to assist stretching to reach the desired height with a shorter veg time)
-Pot size, I have a haze plant in a 2litre pot that's been vegged for several months before flowering and it's only 4.5 ft tall and didn't stretch virtually at all, clones taken from this plant stretched a lot. Given root space and plenty of nutrients to "capture" the stretch clones achieve a mature height of 6ft.
-Plant growth regulators/retardants

I vegged a plant for about 6 months (mother) and it still went from an lst 1.5-2ft sativa to a 4-5ft sativa when switched over.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offlinescar420
Stranger
Loc: The great white north
    #518791 - 01/25/11 02:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

After roots have developed...I do 2-3 weeks in veg or until desired height is achieved, I normally top my plants several times so I wait until new growth has grown at least 1 inch before initiating flowering.

Edited by scar420 (01/25/11 02:19 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies