Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekdawg81
Stranger
 User Gallery

she's dieing and i dont kno why
    #500114 - 11/22/10 03:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

ok so i have three plants right now im a month away from harvest and all of a suddne abt a week ago one of my plants stopped drinking. she wont absorb any water or nutes that i give her. i water her and all the water goes right thru her and leaks out the bottom. my leaves are turning yellow and shriveling up. what happened and what can i do to try and save my baby. i thought maybe her pot is too small so i transplanted her to a bigger pot with fresh soil. i even flushed her with water before transplant just in hopes that she d absorb some of it. im pretty much now just spraying her with a water bottle on the leaves just so maybe she'd get  alil something outta it. plz help me i dont want all my hard work for months to go to waste when im so close

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: she's dieing and i dont kno why [Re: kdawg81]
    #500120 - 11/22/10 04:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

1) what do you mean all the water leaks out the bottom?  Some, at least, should be being absorbed in your medium? 

***I'm far from an expert***, but the first thing I would check, from your above description, is your roots (people without much experience with plants often confuse over watering with under watering.  And in trying to compensate, make the problem much worse).  I'm not exactly sure what you're growing in, but removing the medium from around the roots is a pretty stressful event, for most plants, and would probably not do it, unless I had no other option

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: she's dieing and i dont kno why [Re: kyuzo]
    #500180 - 11/22/10 07:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, once the medium is saturated the water, the fluid will pass right through it, but if you keep saturating the medium, you're overwatering and killing the plant.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinekdawg81
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: she's dieing and i dont kno why [Re: 81renaissance]
    #500249 - 11/23/10 07:59 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

so i should stop watering her? how can i stop her leaves from turning yellow and burning off. should i stop with the tent and try just window sunning her from now on? perhaps its the lights burning the leaves its 2 feet from the lite itself when in the tent. i just dont want to loose my crop. she was the best one outta 3. has the most kolas going on the biggest thickness compared to the other two. Should i still mist her but not water her. the water is def in the soil cuz the soil isnt drying out at all really. roots just wont take any of the water into the plant.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #500291 - 11/23/10 10:12 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You know what's really fun? Proper sentence structure and punctuation!

Your soil should be almost DRY before you water each time. 
If you want to, fill out the Doctor's Diagnosis form that is stickied at the top of the post list...you know, the one that says "fill this out BEFORE asking any questions".

If you keep posting like a hysterical woman whose favorite soap opera has been canceled I'll just close this thread.

Is this your first grow?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisiblexX42oXx
"The Seeker"
Male

#500314 - 11/23/10 01:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:lolz0rz: Agreed :laugh2:

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

Re: she's dieing and i dont kno why [Re: xX42oXx]
    #500332 - 11/23/10 02:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If the medium is saturated, how do you know that the "roots just wont take any of the water into the plant" ?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: she's dieing and i dont kno why [Re: brifunforme]
    #500423 - 11/23/10 08:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No, don't mist it.  Just let it be.  Don'e water it until it's dry.  Period.  What's hard to understand about that??  It will drink when it needs to.  LET IT BE.  And fill out that damn questionaire.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinekdawg81
Stranger
 User Gallery

#500515 - 11/24/10 08:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? seeds
2. How old are your plants? 3 months
3. How tall are your plants?2.5 ft
4. What size containers are they planted in? 10qt
5. What is your soil mix? miracle grow
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? distilled water twice as day
7. What is the pH of your water? no idea
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? miracle grow .21 .07 .14
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? i mix nutes w distilled water and pour it into the soil, and i mist with spring water
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")400 hps
11. How close are your lights to the plants?2 feet
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 3l 2w 5h
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?75 degrees
14. What is the pH of the soil? idk
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? no bugs this time
16. How much experience do you have growing?not much this is only my second time.

InvisibleAmnesiac

Loc: Under the sea
    #500531 - 11/24/10 09:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kdawg81 said:
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? distilled water twice as day

I think that's your problem. I grow in a soilless mix that drains pretty well and I only water every 3-4 days. My last grow when I did soil I watered every 6-9 days depending on how fast my plants drank. I would recommend not watering for at least 5 days and see how the plants like that.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: she's dieing and i dont kno why [Re: Amnesiac]
    #500537 - 11/24/10 10:08 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Amnesiac said:
Quote:

kdawg81 said:

I think that's your problem. I grow in a soilless mix that drains pretty well and I only water every 3-4 days. My last grow when I did soil I watered every 6-9 days depending on how fast my plants drank. I would recommend not watering for at least 5 days and see how the plants like that.

This. I'm even skeptical about your previously posted harvest pics now; no way would any plant survive a twice daily watering.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: she's dieing and i dont kno why [Re: Amnesiac]
    #500573 - 11/24/10 01:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Amnesiac said:
Quote:

kdawg81 said:

If you are nervous about waiting that long, you can try letting it dry out until you do not touch moisture when you insert your pointer finger  :saulgoodman: up to the second knuckle.  You want it to be DRY at least that far if you have been over watering.

Keep in mind that even in hydroponic systems the roots are not always soaking wet.  Time to dry out and breathe is allowed between cycles.  The exception being, as 81renaissance points out below, with heavy aerated systems where roots are submerged, but allowed to breathe via air injected into the root zone.

Also, if you use a small amount of heat under your container it will help to speed the drying.  Something like a reptile heater pad or seed starter pad would work fine.

For me, growing plants is exciting.  It is easy to want to DO a lot to plants.  The hardest thing I had to learn as a gardener was not to keep fucking with them.  Just give them what they need and they can do the rest.  Enjoy watching them grow!

(Edit for correction pointed out by 81renaissance.)

Edited by CrayolaHalls (11/25/10 11:22 AM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: she's dieing and i dont kno why [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #500785 - 11/25/10 09:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:

Keep in mind that even in hydroponic systems the roots are not always soaking wet.  Time to dry out and breathe is allowed between cycles.

This isn't always true, there are methods that keep the root systems completely submerged for the life of the plant.  The difference is, the water is aerated to provide oxygen to the root system.
In a soil grow no such aeration is possible without allowing the medium to dry, which is why the rest of your advice is excellent.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#500801 - 11/25/10 11:18 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:

Keep in mind that even in hydroponic systems the roots are not always soaking wet.  Time to dry out and breathe is allowed between cycles.

This isn't always true, there are methods that keep the root systems completely submerged for the life of the plant.  The difference is, the water is aerated to provide oxygen to the root system.
In a soil grow no such aeration is possible without allowing the medium to dry, which is why the rest of your advice is excellent.

You are absolutely right.  Not sure why I forgot about that.  Maybe because I never wanted to try it.  The bubblers just seemed like extra cost and another place something could go wrong.  Either way, thanks for the correction.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds