Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJefferstone
Stranger
Pretty easy and CHEAP grow box
    #488918 - 10/17/10 05:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hi all,

I know it's my first post and what the heck I'm including a link to something.  But no, not spam...I've been lurking, reading the amazing info you all take the time to post.  I was looking at building a cheap tent, when I stumbled upon the Rubbermaid Portable closet, $30 at Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B001ANZJPC

It measures about 5' wide  and 5' tall, 2' deep.  I wasn't really interested in the canvas cover and zippers, except for stealth purposes.  I built the frame and wrapped it in B/W poly, then slipped the canvas zippered cover up and over it.

The frame is metal, except the joiners which seem to be fairly heavy duty plastic.  The bar that the clothes would hang on seems pretty sturdy.  Sturdy enough for my lights anyway.

They include a cheap piece of cardboard that is supposed to be a floor, but I replaced that with some thin plywood I happened to have lying around.

Once I have it complete and something growing in it I'll post pics.

I do realize you could probably build the frame yourself by buying PVC and the like at Home Depot, but I felt a lot less paranoid buying a ready made frame and repurposing it.

Just my two cents...peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: Pretty easy and CHEAP grow box [Re: Jefferstone]
    #488944 - 10/17/10 06:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Welcome! That looks like it would do fine, but if you were gonna spend money on a tent, why not get a grow tent? I built my box from scratch with some 2x4's and the cheapest plywood I could get.

How many plants were you looking to grow? and under what light source?

--------------------

OfflineJefferstone
Stranger
Re: Pretty easy and CHEAP grow box [Re: T-Rex]
    #488980 - 10/17/10 07:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hi T-Rex, I couldn't find a tent that big for anything close to that price.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?  Any suggestions?  Also grow tents kinda look like, well...grow tents, if you know what I mean. I have a pretty darn secure location, but even if someone took a quick glance, I don't think they'd notice the closet.

I think I'll go with one plant right now.  Well, three until I find out which if any are female.  I'll split the box in two and use one side for clones eventually. 

Lights?  I'm going with 4 65w CFL and a couple of 40w 2 ft tubes.  I know I'll eventually want more lumens, but I haven't decided which type of light yet and didn't want to sink too much money into my experiment until I do.

Maybe you could answer a related question for me.  As I learn about growing, I don't want to sink a lot of cash into expensive seeds that I may end up killing.  The seed banks have so many choices in them, it's hard to find a selection based on, "ehh, I don't really give too much of a crap about what kind as long as I get enough to figure out what I am doing"  At least I couldn't find a brand named that. :smile:  Should I just go with something like KC Brains, it's pretty cheap, or is there a better way?

Edited by Jefferstone (10/17/10 07:52 PM)

OfflineSquaReSaltine
The grass is greener...
Male

Loc: NC Flag
    #492409 - 10/27/10 02:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That looks like a good thing for what im considering. I guess i need to know how big of a pot i would need for indica. Seems you could get 5 pots pretty easy....

OfflineI_AM_SWIM
Someone Who Isn't McKenna

Re: Pretty easy and CHEAP grow box [Re: SquaReSaltine]
    #493294 - 10/29/10 07:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Easy and cheap, I thought this was about my mother.

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

Edited by Magash (10/30/10 12:23 AM)

OfflineJefferstone
Stranger

Re: Pretty easy and CHEAP grow box [Re: I_AM_SWIM]
    #494447 - 11/02/10 08:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Did I lose a post here?  I'll try again.

Cheap and easy mother?  I like that.

Regarding number of pots, I'd guess 4 5-gallon buckets.  I have 6 19 Quart rubbermaid roughneck containers in there now and could easily fit two more. You'd have to really train your plants if you had 8 going at once.

You may have noticed I increase the number of plants from 1 to 6.  In for a penny, in for a pound.  Two pounds if I'm lucky.  I added two 105w CFLs for roughly 380w total.

I've got two weeks on a bag seed, a fem Kandy Kush and 4 KC Brains white.

The closet seems to be holding up well.

Edited by Jefferstone (11/02/10 08:41 PM)

OfflineTrey3993
Stranger
    #505186 - 12/13/10 08:49 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Keep us posted on this. If this works well then i think I found myself a growbox.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder