Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCarcass

Questions from a Noob
    #476969 - 09/14/10 10:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hey growery family!
I've never grown pot, but there's things that I've done to learn my lesson. Downloaded "Grow Bible" and I think it's a great source in spite of being an old printing.
Anyway, my first question:
At some grow logs I saw 1-1.5 metre length of plants at flowering. On the other hand there are some logs including flowering plants just about 50-75 centimetres tall, flowering. What causes the difference?
Growing conditions? Grower's choice of applying early flowering?
Strain?
And what are the results of growing taller plants? Getting more pot? Higher potency?

Third question, I'm thinking of designing a wood-walled setup. I think carpenter is the most suitable one for my affordability.
I'll make a sketch of the desisgn by computer or hand and I'll apply all the necessary equipments' requirement. Holes, metal pipes for light supply and ballast etc.
What do you think of wood?

Edited by Carcass (09/14/10 11:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: Two Basic Questions from a Noob [Re: Carcass]
    #476996 - 09/14/10 11:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Carcass said:
Anyway, my first question:
At some grow logs I saw 1-1.5 metre length of plants at flowering. On the other hand there are some logs including flowering plants just about 50-75 centimetres tall, flowering. What causes the difference?
Growing conditions? Grower's choice of applying early flowering?
Strain?
And what are the results of growing taller plants? Getting more pot? Higher potency?

Quote:

I'd say it is a little of both. Indica normally does not get as tall as sativa, so strain does play a role in it. On the other hand when you do a clone, you don't have to veg it out and let it grow you can start flowering the clone right away to keep it smaller. So it is kind of both.

Quote:

Potency I believe is genetic related.

The bigger the plant the more budsites, so you will most likely get more yield from the bigger plants, given the growing conditions are the same, yes.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Two Basic Questions from a Noob [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #477007 - 09/14/10 12:30 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:
On the other hand when you do a clone, you don't have to veg it out and let it grow you can start flowering the clone right away to keep it smaller. So it is kind of both.

You can flower ie. 12 - 12 or 11-13 or whatever it is you use for your flowering cycle straight from seed.

There's quite a few things that can effect height.

Light intensity is very important even for seedlings. I put my seedlings under HPS from the start and I find this helps lower the distance between nodes. Node distance is basically what determines the size of your plant versus maturity. I'd much rather have a 3ft plant with 15 internodes than a 2ft plant with 6.

Genetics as stated above. Sativas grow freakishly tall and quickly too. I recently chopped down a Thai x Haze I had because it was growing wildly and into and around my reflector. It was growing so quickly the stem was hollow. I could use it as a gigantic straw if I wanted to. My Mazar's aren't tall at all and they have the shortest node distance.

Medium - I've heard hydro makes plants grow taller and lankier. I recently had some mother plants in DWC and identical plants in coir, the DWC definitely grew taller without creating many more cloning sites.

Pot size - I have numerous plants in 2litre pots of coco coir, and their size is limited to around 2-2.5 ft regardless of how long I veg them for. Unfortunately they`re rootbound and the lower leaves and branches yellow and fall off. I'm not very versed with rootbound plants but I understand it's defined when your roots wrap around the bottom of your pots making a mat. It's far worse when using circular pots as they have more opportunity to wrap around your pot having no corners to hit with square pots.

Nutrients can also play a role. Perhaps not essential or even micro nutrients. There are products such as Bushmaster containing plant growth regulators that halt the stretching of a plant when flowering is induced.

Hope this helps,
MA3087

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
Re: Two Basic Questions from a Noob [Re: maryanne3087]
    #477020 - 09/14/10 01:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well the term root-bound doesn't necessarily mean a plant is choking itself out by wrapping around itself, it can just be running out of space for new roots to grow into. Other than that, spot on.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Two Basic Questions from a Noob [Re: NizzyJones]
    #477421 - 09/15/10 11:16 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've read from numerous sources that root bound is when the roots wrap around the bottoms of your pots forcing your medium into the center while making a mat of roots on the outside. Having culled several males/hermaphrodites in the last week I can say this seems very accurate.

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
Re: Two Basic Questions from a Noob [Re: maryanne3087]
    #477431 - 09/15/10 11:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well, we're basically saying the same thing. I should have been more clear: I don't think it's a round pot vs. square pot issue so much as the fact that if you have a square pot and a round pot with the same width the square pot has almost a third more volume:

(2r)^2 * h > pi * r^2 * h
4r^2 > pi * r^2
4 > pi

Edited by NizzyJones (09/15/10 11:38 AM)

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Two Basic Questions from a Noob [Re: NizzyJones]
    #477473 - 09/15/10 12:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Square pots having corners don't allow the roots to wrap as easily. When they hit a corner they have the tendency to change course. In a round pot the pots shape helps the roots grow round and round the root ball. It's not about volume.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag