Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

T5, or...?
    #475383 - 09/11/10 12:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've been preparing my perpetual harvest; the first seed run I did under the switchable HPS (conversion MH bulb, that is) to utilize the stronger light and get shorter internodes, etc.  That was in the flowering chamber.  Now, I've taken clones, and will probably start new seeds soonish, so I'm utilizing the veg chamber.  I've been using CFLs, but I don't like them.  They seem cumbersome, and pretty warm.

The veg box is 3x3x3 ft.  I'm considering splurging on a T5 system, and am looking for some input from those who have used them.  Are they worth it?  How much heat do they put out?  Is there a better option for vegging in such space?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: T5, or...? [Re: God]
    #475452 - 09/11/10 09:16 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If you have the means to exhaust it, a low powered MH setup is perfect for veg.  T5-HO lights work great, but they do put off heat.  Maybe not as much as an HID, but it is noticeable.  If you don't want to buy high powered fans, or can't exhaust another HID, then use the T5.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: T5, or...? [Re: coda]
    #475556 - 09/11/10 01:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm...I've considered a MH in the 100-200W range, since Home Depot seems to sell plenty of that sort of equipment.  On their website, I'm seeing a 100W MH Flood setup for $85, and a 175W for $165.  The 100W bulbs that go with it claim a measly 300 lumen output; the 175W bulbs, though 2x the price, claim 14,700 lumen! :eek:
[More research finds claims that the 100W bulb actually puts out 8000 lumen, which is much more acceptable.  Home dePot's online employees must've been gettin' blazed before typing that shit up.]

With all that said, the 100W is probably the better choice.  It's much cheaper and will provide nearly 900 lumen/sq ft.  My only concern now is heat.  My big HID is air-cooled, but even so I'm running a bit warm, 80-85°F, according to my thermometer.  I'm inclined to think it's a bit cooler than that, since it has gotten up to "91°F" before and the girls didn't look like they minded at all.

Still, I don't want to struggle to keep things cool.  About how much heat can I expect from a 100W MH?

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: T5, or...? [Re: God]
    #476160 - 09/12/10 01:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i have an 8 bulb t5 and man they stretch so bad under it and its puts off a ton of heat id say go for the mh

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Invisiblecurbstop
Stranger

Re: T5, or...? *DELETED* [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #476324 - 09/12/10 09:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by curbstop

Reason for deletion: Sdr

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: T5, or...? [Re: curbstop]
    #476404 - 09/13/10 01:24 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

curbstop said:
To the op,,,I have to be honest here,,,Look at This I did the whole grow,,7 Plants under 1 4 foot 4 bulb T5.

I had zero issues with stretch,,,,I did have airy buds tho,,,,I know your already set on HID's but for veg I have had zero problems.

As for heat I have had that light in my closet all summer with the door open,,,I have a oscillating fan that blows 24/7 into the closet,,,Did the temps go up Yes,,,Were they bad?,,,No.

When it comes to HID's I have no Idea,,,,I will however be able to tell you that in about 4-5 months,,,1000W HPS for the flower room:grin:

Hopes this help's :super:

Make sure to ventilate properly, HPS get really fucking hot, regardless of what anyone says. My closet would reach 100+ degrees (not proper ventilation) if I didn't open it soon enough when i grew a few years ago. I was running the lights at night, and would wake up with persistent sweat rolling down my legs, and sweat soaked boxers. And that was with a  250w digital. I personally won't ever use an HID again (maybe if I had the ventilation blowing the hot air outside of the house, or if it is a really cold winter and use it as a heater), the central a/c unit had to fight the heat causing the electric bill to raise higher than expected.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Edited by Laysthepipe (09/13/10 01:39 AM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: T5, or...? [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #476627 - 09/13/10 04:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, you will need to vent any HID light properly.  Your cab will hit 100 F in a matter of minutes with no fans.

T-5's are perfectly fine for veg, just make sure to replace the bulbs every three months and you'll be just fine.

--------------------

Invisiblecurbstop
Stranger

Re: T5, or...? *DELETED* [Re: coda]
    #476652 - 09/13/10 05:32 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by curbstop

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #476655 - 09/13/10 05:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I had a T5 light blow out in about the 3 month timeframe. After that I just didn't even replace the bulbs, and quit growing a few months after that too.

Since I didn't comment on op I will go ahead and give my comment on t5's.

Quote:

God said:
I'm considering splurging on a T5 system, and am looking for some input from those who have used them.  Are they worth it?  How much heat do they put out?  Is there a better option for vegging in such space?

They worked very good for vegging. I switched from an hps to a t5 for veg when I brought clones to flower and had to bring the hps out of the veg room. I'd probably go with the t5 for vegging over the HID, that is just me because I do not like the amount of heat the HID's will put out. The T5 will do exactly what you want it to do (as long as you have the appropriate amount of light for what you are growing), and the heat is very minimal, it is there but nothing like a MH.

They also work very well as supplement lighting during flowering.

Other than an hid you got an led to consider for vegging, which I hear work very well.. and Cfls, I would take the T5>CFL's and maybe the LED>T5.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Edited by Laysthepipe (09/13/10 05:47 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: T5, or...? [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #476726 - 09/13/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I have never once changed my bulbs other then from veg to flower and my veg lights have been used for about 3-4 years now.

You run 24/0 veg on the same bulbs for 3-4 years?  I replace my bulbs every three months because my veg cabinet is lit all year.  Around 5 months my plants start to suffer, that's why I try and change them every three.

--------------------

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: T5, or...? [Re: coda]
    #476834 - 09/13/10 11:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

let me rephrase the t5 will def burn cooler than a hh i dont hate my t5 just dont love it .

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Invisiblecurbstop
Stranger

Re: T5, or...? *DELETED* [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #476995 - 09/14/10 11:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by curbstop

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #477071 - 09/14/10 04:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I need to find the graph the outlays the peak performance of fluro bulbs.  Thing is once they hit a certain point lumen output drops drastically.  Sure your plants may grow with the old bulbs, but I'd put some money on the fact that they'd grow better with a fresh bulb.

It's whatever works for you, but honestly I like replacing my bulbs every 3-4 months.  It's like 30 bucks, so I can run my whole veg cab for a year and all it costs is 90$ plus electric.  Pretty cheap when you consider 7 grams of your harvest could cover that cost and give you 10 bucks for your pocket :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck