Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinerah
delusional as usual
Male

Question for the Bible people.
    #463227 - 08/18/10 09:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Commandment #1: You shall have no other gods before me.

Would fame be considered "bad" because of the praise from others?

Would a "celebrity" be considered an Idol?

Would a celebrity be considered a deciever?

I don't mind flames..

Some answers would be appreciated, it's needed for my personal spiritual growth. I think I have my answer already, but input would be cool too.

Edited by rah (08/18/10 09:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineA Girl
8 days a week
Female

Re: Question for the Bible people. [Re: rah]
    #463228 - 08/18/10 09:39 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i think its everything in moderation. i think as long as you dont worship the fame or the famous people you arent in violation. :2cents:

--------------------
I'm rad...You're rad....lets hug! :grin:

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#463235 - 08/18/10 09:54 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What's godly about being a celebrity? The way people admire kim kardashian isn't the same as following God. being a celebrity is just comes with the job. Now if that celebrity has a god-like ego, that would be a problem.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Question for the Bible people. [Re: A Girl]
    #463237 - 08/18/10 09:55 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

God seems like it's a pretty loaded term, and carries more meaning than "that famous person"

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Question for the Bible people. [Re: kyuzo]
    #463245 - 08/18/10 09:58 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#463278 - 08/18/10 10:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Curious you would make this your first post. 
Quote:

King Koopa said:
Quote:

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

Also curious the cathoics idolize mary in the same way.  And of course there's the saints.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Question for the Bible people. [Re: King Koopa]
    #463280 - 08/18/10 10:37 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:
Quote:

Well that puts a different spin onto it.  Are you familiar with what the traditional christian and catholic interpretation of the issue is? 

Also, it should be noted that we use terms like 'worship" in a largely metaphorical sense, while in a religious text, I would assume that it's being used in a literal manner.  The same is true of the word "idol"

Offlinerah
delusional as usual
Male

Re: Question for the Bible people. [Re: kyuzo]
    #463665 - 08/19/10 04:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I understand in the literal sense, but here's another about the same question..
Is jewelry an Idol?
One is praised for their jewelry to a certain extent, right? Isn't that a form of worship?

Kinda stupid questions but eh.. this place seems less tight sphinctered than shroomery

InvisibleBen18
Drunk Derelict
Male User Gallery

#463672 - 08/19/10 04:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

you are god

and so am i

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#463673 - 08/19/10 04:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

damn son no way my chains and ice just make me look baller I ain't Jesus but I am a close second.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Question for the Bible people. [Re: Tangerines]
    #463721 - 08/19/10 05:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

<div style="background:#000000;width:440px;height:272px"><embed flashVars="playerVars=showStats=yes|autoPlay=no|videoTitle=The Big Lebowski - Jesus Quintana" src="https://proxy.mind-media.com/proxy.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metacafe.com%2Ffpl%3Cwbr%3Eayer%2F978697%2Fthe_big_lebowski_jesu%3Cwbr%3Es_quintana.swf" width="440" height="272" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_978697" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></div><div style="font-size:12px;"><a href="
#">The Big Lebowski - Jesus Quintana</a>. Watch more top selected videos about: <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/topics/The_Big_Lebowski/" title="The_Big_Lebowski">The Big Lebowski</a>, <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/topics/John_Turturro/" title="John_Turturro">John Turturro</a></div>

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale