Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Just built a CFL box
    #453830 - 07/31/10 11:38 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Its 1.7x2 and I'm running 4x28W and 2x24W for a total of 160W in CFL's

I'm currently using a port-a-robe as its for the seedlings, or until I can get this fucking 400W to start working :kingcrankey:

Should these CFL's be enough for until I get the main grow area and 400 up and running?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScraps
Male

Loc: that shady alley
Re: Just built a CFL box [Re: T-Rex]
    #453867 - 08/01/10 01:16 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

let me know how this all pans out for ya because i am very considering getting one of the 400W Hps grow light kit with the cool tube reflector :mad:

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Just built a CFL box [Re: Scraps]
    #453868 - 08/01/10 01:27 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

yea man I'll make a grow log soon enough :wink:

Can anyone answer my question about the box design? will this setup be ok for my seedlings?

--------------------

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
    #453931 - 08/01/10 12:12 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

CFL's blow. Just as hot as HPS or MH with less output. Might as well buy a led fixture; just as good as the cfl's, costs about the same, less power and less heat with the same yield.

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #453959 - 08/01/10 01:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know what exactly you're trying to accomplish by growing in a cardboard box...

If I were you I'd plan my project better and get everything I need running smoothly before even thinking about starting my seedlings.

You should definitely read this post
It is very important to do things the right way to ensure your success. Don't set yourself up to fail.

--------------------

Offlinelb.killer
Stranger

Re: Just built a CFL box [Re: PapaKush]
    #454117 - 08/01/10 09:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

decent setup

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Just built a CFL box [Re: lb.killer]
    #454136 - 08/01/10 10:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The carboard box is for less than a week until I can drive out to the warehouse and exchange the 400W HPS for one that works.

All I'm asking is if this would suffice until I can put the 400 in the actual area, which is all ready to go.

EDIT
And I've read that post maybe a million times and it still only gives me questions instead of answers :shrug:

--------------------

Edited by T-Rex (08/01/10 10:23 PM)

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#454142 - 08/01/10 10:54 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

160w of cfl will work fine for starting your seedlings but the best thing you can do is get your setup done 100% before even THINKING about germinating your seeds. One thing i can't stress enough to people is to just do the fucking job RIGHT the first time and you will save yourself hassles and worries in the future. It's murphy's law man. WHAT CAN GO WRONG, WILL! Believe me.

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#454146 - 08/01/10 11:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I appreciate your concern man, I know your only trying to help, I haven't even thought about germinating any seeds until I had everyone's sign off :wink:

The flowering room is all set up and ready the go, the only thing I have to do is exchange a bulb for one that works :lol::facepalm3:

Even though I was originally going to move the CFL's into the flowering chamber once the 400 was in, do you think this would suffice as a seedling chamber for a few weeks? I like how its set up:bongload::awehigh:

--------------------

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#454181 - 08/02/10 02:45 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If the Trailer Park Boys can grow weed in a garbage can you can grow weed in a cardboard box. LOL. I just wouldn't suggest it. This is why:

Cardboard is made of pourous and absorbent material. Maintaining high humidity for your seedlings becomes an issues as your box will absorb the water in the air creating a breeding ground for mold spores and other nasties you don't want near your babies. Also, if you spill any water when watering your plants your going to create a soggy mess.

Also, regardless of your ventilation, which in your case looks nonexistent, punching lightbulbs through holes in cardboard creates a possible fire hazard and we don't want our neighbors calling the fire dept. do we?

If those reasons are not enough to discourage you from you current choice atleast take them into consideration and atleast tape thick garbage bags around the inside to prevent the water absorption I mentioned and use a foil tape or something to make the light ports heat and spark resistant.

Like I said though, when taking these things into consideration don't you just want to do it properly and more importantly safely? I don't want to smoke moldy weed man do you?

By the way thanks man for the rating. xD

I'm seriously just trying to get you to realize that even if it means you have to wait a month or maybe even two, if you just put the effort into doing the job well your end results are going to be much better. This is just a general life philosophy and when applied to growing cannabis it is a very important philosophy that you want to consider.

Sorry if you think I'm preaching or something but I feel like you can have a bomb harvest if you just take the extra time necessary to wait until the timing is right. Skimping out at the start will seriously effect your crop. The first 30 days of the plants life are the most important. Sure weed is resiliant and can grow under many stressful conditions but to attain peak potency and flavor the plant needs perfect conditions. If you start your seeds in a stressed environment and you keep one of the resulting females as a motherplant, every clone you take will carry the stresses of it's initial environment and it's peak potency will be limited.

So personally, I want my shit to be the best fuckin dope in town, and if you do too, you should think about it. Best of luck bro.

--------------------

Edited by PapaKush (08/02/10 02:59 AM)

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#454183 - 08/02/10 02:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
I don't want to smoke moldy weed man do you?

Not at all  :strokebeard:

You make many valid points, and to be honest the only reason I'm using the box is because it was quick ans easy. I'm trying to think of some way to build a 2x3 housing for those CFL's but I still haven't been able to. Maybe time to go back to Bunnings :shrug:

Thanks for all your help man, your a cool dude, stick around:bongload:

--------------------

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#454184 - 08/02/10 03:05 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've got tonnes of ideas check your messages get back to me :smile:

--------------------

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#454185 - 08/02/10 03:17 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
to be honest the only reason I'm using the box is because it was quick and easy.

When it comes to being a successful grower, no matter how big or small your operation, patience and attention to detail will win over quick fixes and 'miracle grow' supernutes every time. It's in the nature of the thing.

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#454193 - 08/02/10 06:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I think I'm just making it alot more difficult than I need to. I'm just gonna throw the CFL's in the 4.5x4.5x5.5 cab I built with the 400

--------------------

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
    #454203 - 08/02/10 08:10 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

you only need the seperate clone, veg and flowering setups for perpetual harvest system : \

dunno what the hell your thinking using that box bahaha

:jah:

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Just built a CFL box [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #454209 - 08/02/10 09:06 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not doing a perpetual harvest you goose

dude come round sometime next week and help me out thought

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #454239 - 08/02/10 11:32 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've used cardboard just fine for seedlings, the only thing is you have to put a few coats of paint (white) on it before you use it or it will absorb moisture and fail structurally.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract