Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

Bag Seed Growlog and DIY no interest, no response, no help, thread closed
    #447509 - 07/17/10 10:56 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

-i gave up updating here, my updated thread is at icmag under the same name. i may post a picture of the final project here if i remember-

Hi folks. This is going to be my growlog slash watch me learn and build.

I got some really sticky, stinky nugget a couple months ago, and it happened to have a few lone seeds in it. I planted the beans in some shitty dirt. I abused it and ignored it. After feeling a little guilty, I built a cab for it out of a steamer trunk, cpu fans, and some CFL's:

Shortly there after, I developed a N tox from using time released tomato fertilizer (who wudda thunk?:lol:and this lady started to curl up and die on me.

Only one thing to do: I raped that mother for all the clones i could get. I even topped her and cloned that. That was a gruesome image so I didn't take any pictures, but I have my babies in a home made cloner now. Here is a picture of them, minus 3 clones and the future mother that weren't in the cloner yet:

I didn't cut the small fan leaves on them off, and as you can see they arent extremely happy but they actually look better now than when I cut them. If anyone has any advice related to cloning I am all ears.

I am now waiting for the clones to root (or die) so in the mean time i need to get working on my closet. My first step is to construct a Carbon Filter because I am in an apartment and smell could be my demise.

I started off with a 6" duct cap, a 3X4 PVC reducer, and the metal ends of 3 large sparkler fireworks. (I washed the gunpowder off)

then I used my dremel to remove the small part of the PVC reducer and then i sanded all the smooth surfaces so they would adhere better

Now i wanted to construct a support cage for the inner chamber. I used metal epoxy glue on the metal cap and All purpose epoxy glue on the PVC reducer to adhere the metal rods.

I then taped over the rods so that it would be stronger and so that I could continue to work while it dried. I have learned that I am totally in love with metallic duct tape.

Completed Frame:

Time to wrap it in window screen:

And Trim off the excess screen:

Note:I ended up removing the bottom hose clamp and using pvc and tape to bind it because the screw on the clamp prevented the pieces from coming together

Now To construct the hose connection and frame for the outer chamber. I used a 4x6" metal reducer and a coffe can that I cut in half. The coffee can and the reducer were both exactly 6" so I McGyvered them together with tape, epoxy, and brute force:

Here's what it looks like on the inside:

With that, it is time for a smoke and a snack:

More coming soon

Edited by citizen13 (07/25/10 01:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

Re: Bag Seed Growlog and DIY -aka- Can I have Learning Curve for a 1000 Alex? [Re: citizen13]
    #447516 - 07/17/10 11:08 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I then inserted the inner chamber into the outer, pvc side down. These pieces practically slide together. I epoxied the seam so that everything was air tight because i didnt want charcoal flying into my inline;

I also cut a hole out in the top cap because I want low static pressure. This will be setup FILTER > INLINE > 600W COOLTUBE > EXHAUST and I need the cooltube COOL, and that means plenty of airflow:

I then made a top for the outer chamber with another part of the coffee can. Using my oh so awesome tape, I covered up all sharp edges and in the process, made it shiny. I like shiny things.

Before inserting any carbon, I need to make sure nothing can get into the inner chamber, so I pulled apart a HVAC filter and removed the top layer from it. I used twist ties and zip ties to attach it. I also stuffed a little polyfill in the plenum to stabalize and hold things down:

...and from the inside:

Ok thats it for now, I'm going to finish the outer chamber and fill it with charcoal shortly. More updates later, thanks for looking!

--------------------
My current Growlog/DIY compendium

lock the doors and close the blinds, we're going for a ride.

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

Re: Bag Seed Growlog and DIY -aka- Can I have Learning Curve for a 1000 Alex? [Re: citizen13]
    #447547 - 07/17/10 12:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

OK moved the cloning chamber into my fungus closet. more lights and really high co2 is my reasoning, and i currently had an empty shelf.

still going to finish the filter tonight, I need to make a run to the hardware store.

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #447552 - 07/17/10 01:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Cool DIY carbon scrubber.  You probably will not need it for just one plant, maybe put it on a separate timer.  Your clones might not survive- you are not supposed to feed mother plants a lot of N before taking clones.  But it looks like you know what you are doing to some extent so you will probably get at least one to live. 

Have you actually identified this plant as a female?

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

Re: Bag Seed Growlog and DIY -aka- Can I have Learning Curve for a 1000 Alex? [Re: SmOakland]
    #447553 - 07/17/10 01:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Cool DIY carbon scrubber.  You probably will not need it for just one plant, maybe put it on a separate timer.  Your clones might not survive- you are not supposed to feed mother plants a lot of N before taking clones.  But it looks like you know what you are doing to some extent so you will probably get at least one to live. 

I actually was planning to grow (hopefully) 10 SOG-ish (i plan to let them veg a little longer than a week) style in my 2.5x3' closet.

yeah it went into flower for a bit and it's definitely a female.

I won't be surprised if the clones die. My procedure was just fine, but the plant i took it from was not happy.

we will se what happens, the leaves definitley lost alot of the deep green that N tox causes, and besides the curled fan leaves (which i don't think go away once they curl like that) they look pretty healthy and hungry for more light.

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #447563 - 07/17/10 01:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

citizen13 said:
Quote:

SmOakland said:

I actually was planning to grow (hopefully) 10 SOG-ish (i plan to let them veg a little longer than a week) style in my 2.5x3' closet.

I won't be surprised if the clones die. My procedure was just fine, but the plant i took it from was not happy.

we will se what happens, the leaves definitley lost alot of the deep green that N tox causes, and besides the curled fan leaves (which i don't think go away once they curl like that) they look pretty healthy and hungry for more light.

Cool.  How much lighting are you running?  Once you get above about 150 watts then it is significantly more efficient to use MH/HPS lights as opposed to CFLs.

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

Re: Bag Seed Growlog and DIY -aka- Can I have Learning Curve for a 1000 Alex? [Re: SmOakland]
    #447564 - 07/17/10 01:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Quote:

citizen13 said:
Quote:

SmOakland said:

Cool.  How much lighting are you running?  Once you get above about 150 watts then it is significantly more efficient to use MH/HPS lights as opposed to CFLs.

600w HID with a DIY cooltube.

I already got the bake-a-round pyrex baking tube on its way, as soon as it gets here i will post pics of me making that too.

--------------------

Edited by citizen13 (07/17/10 01:37 PM)

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

#448742 - 07/20/10 11:12 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

added the outer screen and a cap to my filter. Now i just need some prefilter material and some activated charcoal

Here is a pic of my clones day 7 right before I change the water. After 1 more week i will start pulling on the gently checking for roots. If they are ready, they are all going into a 1 tub hempy SOG

Lots of stuff is coming in the next few days and I will be busy. Today I work on my 4x2' Flow Hood though. Balancing all my hobbies can be tricky.:bobmarley:

--------------------

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

#448902 - 07/20/10 02:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

OK i just noticed the top cutting from the mother plant has pried itself out of the perlite because its leaves started bending down in an extreme manner. the plant literally looked like a capital M with the exposed bottom just dangling in open air.

down to 13 clones.

--------------------

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

#449136 - 07/21/10 08:43 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ok so this is not really marijuana related, buuut I need a good reason to bump my thread and I'm waiting on the mailman before i can start in my closet.

Here's my half built 4x2' flowhood with a 12" inline blower! sorry for the bad angle i was working in a small room and i couldnt back up anymore!:lol:

this thing is a beast.

here's a question: will a 99.997% effective flowhood running while you are trimming/etc cut down on smell?

--------------------

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

#449429 - 07/21/10 04:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Alright. Things just kicked up a notch. Gotta pick up the pyrex tube in the morning and then make a mount for the mogul socket.

I'm going to go measure, cut and build a light rail of some sort that will hold the light, blower, and filter horizontally.

--------------------

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#449523 - 07/21/10 05:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Looks like you gave htg supply a visit

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

Re: Bag Seed Growlog and DIY -aka- Can I have Learning Curve for a 1000 Alex? [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #449533 - 07/21/10 05:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
Looks like you gave htg supply a visit

heh what gave it away? :laugh: welcome thanks for reading, it was getting kind of lonely in here  :cheers:

i attached my carbon filter (still unfilled) to the blower, and fashioned a way to mount it to the light rail with some strapping that I cut down.

I will get some chain and a small metal bar to mount all this tommorow along with finishing the cooltube.

So i still have 1 old unanswered question, and a new one too!

Would a running flowhood help eliminate smell leaks if it was running when you had the door to your grow open for extended periods of time?

and

Is it ok for the fan to be connected directly too the filter? does it need more free space around the intake to be effective?

--------------------

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
    #449549 - 07/21/10 05:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think I like home-built flowhoods as mush as a good growlog.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

Re: Bag Seed Growlog and DIY -aka- Can I have Learning Curve for a 1000 Alex? [Re: Psuper]
    #449579 - 07/21/10 07:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Psuper said:
I think I like home-built flowhoods as mush as a good growlog.

I'm about to cut and add the prefilter :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

#449794 - 07/22/10 07:22 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ok on my way to go get some materials to make my light rail, and to pick up my cooltube from the mail. Here is what I did this morning:

Added a prefilter to my flowhood

and some handles to make transportation easier:

If someone could take a crack at my previous unanswered questions I'd be really grateful, i know this board doesn't have many regulars, but their are some smart people with large amounts of culti knowledge that aren't throwing in their 2 cents.

pleeeeease answer them.

--------------------

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

#450774 - 07/24/10 10:58 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm starting to get disheartened by the complete lack of interest in this thread. None of the question I keep asking are getting answered or acknowledged!:sad:

Ill keep pluggin along and updating for now.

I made my cooltube today. I'm a little worried about how wide the bulb is in comparison to the tube, there is probably less than 3/4' all the way around for air to flow by.

talk about cheap cheap! i made this, not including the mogul adapter and the light, for about $17. :lol: i'm, going to add a reflector to the top as well.

I designed a mounting system for my light/blower/filter. everything mounts on springs to help reduce noise and vibration. It cost me about $25.

im pretty psyched. i'm going to work on getting everything mounted and then start working on the closet itself.

and again, I know this board isn't the busiest, but can you PLEEEASE answer my questions or at least give me your best guess if you have any relevant knowledge pertaining. THANKS!

--------------------

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

#450818 - 07/24/10 01:02 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

OK got the fan and the cooltube mounted. I had to take the filter off because I taped it to the positive side :lol:

I'm actually debating whether or not to hang the filter or just have it sitting on the ground. this will make an extra ~90 degree turn in the ducting but i'm not sure if that will really be a problem...

--------------------

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger

#450845 - 07/24/10 02:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

OK

removed the shelf and coat hanger bar from the closet. I left the supports for it though because it made a good surface to drill into.

I added 2 of those things you tie your boat to on the dock. I forgot the name. this is so I can raise and lower the light easily. Perhaps in the future the wire will go through a series of eyelets to a crank that i can just turn to do the job done. but first things first..

oh shit while writing this i forgot i have 2 pulley systems i can hang from those hooks. I works the way it is but the pulley will put less stress on the wires over time. next time i update i'll show the fixed version.

annnnd wallah! the light is up. just need to connect the filter and exhaust, prep the floors and walls, and we should be good to go.

The clones are, for the most part, all going to survive and root. Some may have already rooted but i will wait 4 more days before checking.

Im knocking on wood and hoping some of my unanswered questions get answered tonight.

this is emo abe.

--------------------

Offlinecritik
Closet Monsters!
Male User Gallery

#450851 - 07/24/10 02:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Is that a Monotub in one of the pics?

--------------------

"you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God's the guy that ignores you"
"I got something that will fit in that hole... its right here in my pocket"
"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates