Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineballbearing
Stranger
Outdoor soil questions. Also, how many plants max per pot? (Tree top growing)
    #442493 - 07/06/10 04:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I live in Massachusetts and I want to start a few gorrilla grows in a few wooded areas near by. I am going to start an outdoor treetop grow ASAP to take advantage of what is left of the summer.

The short version of this thread:
Q1) What soil for outdoors in Mass? Should I make my own with potting soil, perlite, and verm?
Q2) Can I put 2-3 plants in a 5 gallon home depot style camo pot? If not can I put at least 2 plants in the 5 gallon pot?

The long version of this thread:
I currently have 6 indoor northern lights 5 plants going and I have had nothing but success indoors.

I recently purchased a book called Invisibe Marijuana and there is a section devoted to tree top growing. I really like the idea and I would like to give it a try.

The only problems I am running into are what type of potting mix to use for outdoors and how many plants can I fit in one pot.

The author recommends a mix of 40% potting soil, 30% perlite and 30% verm. This seems a like it would drain too fast and there would not be enough water in the pots for the plant(s) to grow so they would die. I would like to put a little more research and get some advice before I put money into it and more importantly before I waste the summer on a bum outdoor grow that could have been sweet.

The mixture will have dolomite lime added (1oz per gallon) and time release ferts will be used (he recommends 14-14-14, 3-4 month fert by Scotts).

I appreciate any responses and advice given.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Outdoor soil questions. Also, how many plants max per pot? (Tree top growing) [Re: ballbearing]
    #442569 - 07/06/10 06:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Consider that the higher up you go, the more wind there will be.  There is a lot of wind at the tops of trees just look at one and you can see it sway.  Wind causes plants to transpire more quickly, and therefore use more water.  If you are planning on having more than 1 plant per pot, I would recommend even more vermiculite.  You want that thing to hold a lot of water (especially if you have to climb a freakin tree to water it).

Offlineballbearing
Stranger
Re: Outdoor soil questions. Also, how many plants max per pot? (Tree top growing) [Re: SmOakland]
    #442771 - 07/06/10 11:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I am going to do 2 plants per 5 gallon. 45% soil, 30% verm, 25% perlite, 5% Pea gravel (To aid in oxygen supply to the roots)

I am going to do 2 bags per tree and 5 trees so 10 bags total. 20 Plants total.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Outdoor soil questions. Also, how many plants max per pot? (Tree top growing) [Re: ballbearing]
    #443277 - 07/07/10 11:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm curious.  Post pics if applicable.

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: Outdoor soil questions. Also, how many plants max per pot? (Tree top growing) [Re: SmOakland]
    #443302 - 07/08/10 05:51 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'd put a bit of coco coir in my mix too if I was you, it's great for holding nutes put on which is essential for a guerilla grow :jah:

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor soil questions. Also, how many plants max per pot? (Tree top growing) [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #443899 - 07/09/10 02:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't use any perlite or pea gravel in a guerilla grow in a treestand.

5gals also isn't much for outdoor plants when doing tree stand grows I'd use 60-90litres which is 15-22.5gals. It always depends what you're growing or how big you expect the plants to get also. I typically grow sativa doms outdoors.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds