Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewre
Stranger

Police 'used sob-story trap' (NZ)
    #439134 - 06/29/10 02:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Undercover police unfairly used emotion-charged stories about their terminally ill parents to entrap minor players during a big cannabis operation, says a New Plymouth defence lawyer.

Police swooped on 35 gardening businesses across the country in April. The two-year Operation Lime resulted in 250 arrests and more than 700 charges, having busted more than 100 commercial cannabis growing operations.

One of those arrested was New Plymouth shop assistant Reuben Wade, 25, who had been unfairly taken in by the undercover female detective who visited Guru Gardener, his counsel Paul Keegan said yesterday.

Police transcripts of the conversation between the two reveal that the officer had told Wade her mother was terminally ill with cancer and asked for help to grow cannabis plants to help alleviate her pain.

"Police have set him up," Mr Keegan said. "It was a terrible thing to go into a shop and use a story like that. It is entrapment. It's effectively harassment by the police.

"They have entrapped him into having the knowledge that it will be used for cultivation. It's quite appalling."

It was not until nine months after the undercover operation that Wade was arrested and charged with two counts of supplying drug-related equipment following the sale to the undercover officer of a book on how to grow cannabis and some fertiliser.

Yet the book Wade sold could easily be bought elsewhere – as could the fertiliser, Mr Keegan said.

Results from a search of the Whitcoulls' website comes up with the same book Wade sold to the police officer along with 179 other marijuana-related titles.

"It really makes a mockery of the law. It is clear that some reform is needed," Mr Keegan said.

Last week in New Plymouth District Court, Wade pleaded guilty to the two indictable charges. He will be sentenced on August 16, when Mr Keegan said he would make strong comments in mitigation.

In his submission to Judge Blaikie, Mr Keegan said that his client's charges were very much a sideline to the major operation elsewhere in the country.

"This offending in relation to the New Plymouth store is largely unconnected with the wider operation involving more serious charges in other stores around the country."

www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3863441/Police-used-sob-story-trap

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
Re: Police 'used sob-story trap' (NZ) [Re: wre]
    #439280 - 06/29/10 12:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Wow the new world order is here. he did not break the laws or the grow shops policy, all he did was give a book that we all can get on line, even free if you look in the bit torrent sites.  So when are the book burning parties starting? And the fertilizer can be gotten almost anywhere they sell that kind of stuff, my local nursery will order almost any kind as long as it is not the stuff linked to bomb making, then he will have to fill out a report that is required by law. This is just so sad to me. I have lost many family members and a couple of friends to cancer and I have a soft spot for those who are going through it. That could have been me busted there, and how many of you feel the same way

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Police 'used sob-story trap' (NZ) [Re: Kilroy]
    #439655 - 06/29/10 11:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kilroy said:
Wow the new world order is here. he did not break the laws or the grow shops policy, all he did was give a book that we all can get on line, even free if you look in the bit torrent sites.  So when are the book burning parties starting? And the fertilizer can be gotten almost anywhere they sell that kind of stuff, my local nursery will order almost any kind as long as it is not the stuff linked to bomb making, then he will have to fill out a report that is required by law. This is just so sad to me. I have lost many family members and a couple of friends to cancer and I have a soft spot for those who are going through it. That could have been me busted there, and how many of you feel the same way

I agree 100%.  I haven't really had any family members die due to cancer (Thank God) and I pray to God it won't happen any time in the future.  Sorry to hear about that. 

However, the story itself appalls me.  I'm not gonna make any arguments about the lawmakers not realizing there are more important crimes to try to stop out there than this, because I genuinely think they know weed is fairly harmless and responsible adults can handle it fine.  I do however think it's simply about money.  They make too much money busting illegal growers, smugglers, dealers, and even those busts for small time possession add up due to the fines you have to pay, the classes you have to go to, the piss tests you have to pay for, etc. etc. etc.  That shit adds up over the course of a year when (I don't know the number) you're busting hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people for possession and growing and dealing over the course of said year.  What it comes down to is money.  Who's to say the United States doesn't actually ALLOW some of the drugs into the country that they do, so they can make money busting people and so the cartels can make their money just by getting it here.  And so what if we bust 1 out of every 7 or so loads of drugs that are smuggled.  That makes law enforcement look fairly good in the eyes of some Americans, like they're doing they're job n whatnot and the cartels don't mind losing a load here and there because they're making so much money on the ones that get through.  Money makes the world go around and politics is nothing but middle aged/older men giving each other handjobs behind closed doors.

Not sure if that made sense.  I know I sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist right now, but ah well......

:tinfoil:

--------------------

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Police 'used sob-story trap' (NZ) [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #439796 - 06/30/10 05:41 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
Quote:

Kilroy said:

I agree 100%.  I haven't really had any family members die due to cancer (Thank God) and I pray to God it won't happen any time in the future.  Sorry to hear about that. 

However, the story itself appalls me.  I'm not gonna make any arguments about the lawmakers not realizing there are more important crimes to try to stop out there than this, because I genuinely think they know weed is fairly harmless and responsible adults can handle it fine.  I do however think it's simply about money.  They make too much money busting illegal growers, smugglers, dealers, and even those busts for small time possession add up due to the fines you have to pay, the classes you have to go to, the piss tests you have to pay for, etc. etc. etc.  That shit adds up over the course of a year when (I don't know the number) you're busting hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people for possession and growing and dealing over the course of said year.  What it comes down to is money.  Who's to say the United States doesn't actually ALLOW some of the drugs into the country that they do, so they can make money busting people and so the cartels can make their money just by getting it here.  And so what if we bust 1 out of every 7 or so loads of drugs that are smuggled.  That makes law enforcement look fairly good in the eyes of some Americans, like they're doing they're job n whatnot and the cartels don't mind losing a load here and there because they're making so much money on the ones that get through.  Money makes the world go around and politics is nothing but middle aged/older men giving each other handjobs behind closed doors.

Not sure if that made sense.  I know I sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist right now, but ah well......

:tinfoil:

I agree about the money part wholeheartedly, I like the oldmen behind closed doors part too because you know its true. I always tell people that know I smoke that if I get busted(in my state it minor thing sinse I never have any wieght) that the fines is what will hurt me the most. But I like helping people in general and I could see me falling for that, but a book and fertilizer, I would not even think twice sinse you can get those things anywhere.  I hope you never have anyone close to you go through the cancer thing it is not pretty and for the record I hope none of you have to go through it

--------------------

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
    #439829 - 06/30/10 08:25 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kilroy said:

You are just awesome dude! Stick around this place, you fit in just fine!:randy:

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Police 'used sob-story trap' (NZ) [Re: Lucid]
    #439832 - 06/30/10 08:45 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

thank you lucid, that means a lot to me. I am glad I got over my paranoia to sign up here, I have made some great friends you being one of them

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #439900 - 06/30/10 11:45 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I would've given him the book and ferts too.  I was under the impression that possession of literature and fertilizer (unless you're building a bomb) was legal.:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Police 'used sob-story trap' (NZ) [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #439919 - 06/30/10 12:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

me too who knew huh. and in the article he pleaded down to lesser charge, what charge did they have on him, conspiring to help someone(holyshit I am in deep trouble). Most of the time especially on smaller charges make them take you to court, they will probably drop it because of the cost(this also depends on what state you are in) but if I was sitting on a jury and he told how this woman came in talking about her grandmother and cancer I would have said not guilty. If I was him I would have told the story of my mom dieing from brain cancer and see just how many on the jury would understand having lost a loved one themselves to that nasty thing.

Do not go quietly into that good night, fight fight fight(i know that is not the right phrase but you get my point right.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds