Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePlantasia
Pastoral Pork Fundamentalist

Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems?
    #350453 - 01/19/10 09:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

So for once in my life I've got some extra money lying around.
And I'd like to put it to good use and buy an LED light system.
Back a few years ago when these first came out I thought they we're the coolest things ever. But I was concerned about whether they would produce great bud. After the fabulous review I read at Treating Yourself I was convinced this should not be a concern.

But the problem was the price. It didn't matter if this was cutting edge/what NASA is using/efficient....it was far too much money.

Recently I saw they are going for around $250?

I'm in Western Canada and I want the best deal possible.
I'm going to also ask at a forum frequented by BC'ers, but online what are my options?(any I haven't seen) Any cheap prices jump out at anyone recently??

I've never ordered anything this expensive before so if I did order online I'd want to use a trusted well known company. Anyone want to vouch for a great online supply place (especially ones located in Canada)

And what do people here think of LED light systems.
I thought this should turn out to be one of the best revolutions for the home grower ever. Sure maybe the big boys wont care and can afford to waste electricity. But I'd rather crank on an LED system, for my small grow.

I do have a 600watt HPS. But after I pick up this LED system I don't known if I'll use it except for right near the end to fatten things up. :snowman:

Thanks for any advice!

Info/Total Coolness...

http://www.ledlights.ca/led%20news%201.php

http://www.ledlights.ca/growlights.php
LED Light System for BIKES
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/07/29/review-a-month-with.html]LED Light System for BIKES  :smile:
LED light system for NightClub

Edited by Plantasia (01/19/10 10:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems? [Re: Plantasia]
    #350574 - 01/19/10 11:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Dude, LED's are a waste of money.  They're mostly only useful for the vegging part of your grow.  If you want to blow some money just spend it on more HID's.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflinePlantasia

Re: Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #350637 - 01/20/10 04:33 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Dude, LED's are a waste of money.  They're mostly only useful for the vegging part of your grow.  If you want to blow some money just spend it on more HID's.

http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=257341&postcount=78

--------------------
It is much better to learn the elements of geology, of botany:sheesha: , or ornithology and astronomy by word of mouth from a companion than dully from a book.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems? [Re: Plantasia]
    #350640 - 01/20/10 05:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

LEDs are the way of the future but as for now in side by side grows HID lights yield 3 times more.

When I can do this with LEDs I'll jump on the band wagon.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems? [Re: Magash]
    #350653 - 01/20/10 07:34 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleUlala

Re: Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems? [Re: Magash]
    #351631 - 01/21/10 08:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
LEDs are the way of the future but as for now in side by side grows HID lights yield 3 times more.

I don't mean to derail, but this picture/grow interests me greatly. Is there a log or journal of it or one like it? Thanks.

--------------------
My first grow, aeroponics from A-Z:  Ulala's First Grow Comments welcome!

If you're robbing a bank and your pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh and to let the hostages laugh too, because, come on, life is funny.
            -Jack Handy

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems? [Re: Ulala]
    #351824 - 01/22/10 09:54 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:lol:  It interests everyone, that's why we are all dying for the drop date on Dr. Chronic for that strain from that breeder :wink:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems? [Re: Ulala]
    #351879 - 01/22/10 11:49 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ulala said:
Quote:

Magash said:

I don't mean to derail, but this picture/grow interests me greatly. Is there a log or journal of it or one like it? Thanks.

Nah, no log it wasn't a serious grow just playing around with some cups and dirt. :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflinePlantasia

#352211 - 01/23/10 12:34 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

From another site I post at.
Simply because it's a relevant post.
The site is called "The Shroomery"
Perhaps you've heard of it? :tongue:

Quote:

:lol:

It, taken by itself out of context does not.

What he was getting at(man, we had a 20 minute conversation that covered lights/life/death/creationism(LOL!) and Pantheism. So ya, it got a bit long and winding.

But he's a fascinating guy.

Anyway, he was explaining how they don't "push" the light the way an HID bulb does.
We went all over the place talking about photons and how they bounce around.

For example, here's an example of the kind of pattern I was talking about.....

We we're at one point discussing how and LEDS don't light up below(which I know isn't a key factor)\
But he went right into how the photons leave the various systems and how they travel.
I'm not a very social person, and we we're both high. So sorry if I'm not explaining it well.
I didn't even have coffee today. :goodmorning: Which actually more than anything throws me off(cause I'm an addict)

And LEDS do emit light, but they concentrate a weak light in a mostly straight line.
+ I just found a GREAT argument on RollItUp

There is a guy growing with LEDS and he's addiment everyone dissing it is just stupid.
Quote:

the UFO was the *first* viable led grow light that actually worked. its still not that good... better lights are the lightblaze 400, procyon, and ti-smartlamp that are actually viable for full grow operations.

LED growing is just now barely becoming a real grow option. instead of fighting it with total ignorance "they dont have lumens waaahh they r a scam!!!!" do some real research first. Or dont.

http://www.rollitup.org/grow-room-design-setup/74780-l-e-d-grow-lights-2.html
Can't wait to see how that turns out.
Quote:

Treeth said
But my particular charge is that yes; leds are better at driving flowering and resin production.

So, BASICALLY what I was getting at, is that he claims LEDS don't create what's know as constructive interference as well. Thus the light doesn't magnify itself well. Which is just one aspect that's a draw back among many, in HIS opinion. Keep in mind, he's just a guy that needs a job, and is incredibly well versed in horticulture. He's not trying to sell me on new stuff etc. We're acquaintances. We used to jam a little now and then in the park/Smoke out.

Here's a great explanation of what I'm talking about...(It's from a guide to butterflies wings, but bare with me, it's totally relevant. :lol: Seriously though. :stoned: )
Quote:

Iridescence in Nature
When talking about iridescence, it helps to remember that light is a wave and can be described as a wavelength: the distance between identical points on the wave. Waves can also be described by their phase: the position of their crests (high points) and troughs (low points). When two waves have the same phase, their crests and troughs would align if placed on top of one another.

Whether you know it or not, you have likely been familiar with iridescence since you were a kid. You probably marveled at it while blowing bubbles with a wand or playing with bubbles in the bathtub. With a soap bubble, light first passes through the top layer of the bubble, where some of it is reflected, while some light continues through to the bottom layer, where again some of it is reflected. Depending on the time it takes the second reflection to join the first and several other factors, the two waves may or may not line up, or have the same phase. If the phase of the two waves is different by some multiple of one full wavelength, the two waves are said to have constructive interference. If the two waves differ by half a wavelength or an odd multiple of that, they have destructive interference.

Constructive interference amplifies the colors of a butterfly's wings.

Constructive interference is what happens in iridescence. It causes the two waves to complement each other and strengthen the reflection. The effects of iridescence create much more intense colors than ordinary pigments ever could. Destructive interference causes the two waves to cancel each other out and weaken the reflection, or destroy it altogether. Basically, when the crests and troughs of more than one wave of light match up, their powers are magnified. When they do not match up, they are mostly destroyed.

OK, you're saying, but butterfly wings look nothing like soap bubbles. So how do they do it? Continue reading to find out how iridescence plays out in butterfly wings.
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/butterfly-colors1.htm

+ More cool reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_(wave_propagation)
I love how I always think I know "all about science"
And then I'm reminded with something simple everyday kind of thing that I know so little.

Oh while you we're reading about quantum physics, neurology, and such, butterfly wings we're being understood by children. Smart children. But kids nonetheless. :tongue:

--------------------
It is much better to learn the elements of geology, of botany:sheesha: , or ornithology and astronomy by word of mouth from a companion than dully from a book.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offlinegary123
Stranger

#431944 - 06/12/10 07:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

what kind of soil are you useing in those cups magash??? those plants are very impressive and very very sexy lookin!!! lol

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ordering/Buying an LED system+What do you think of LED light systems? [Re: gary123]
    #432484 - 06/13/10 11:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Fox Farm.

--------------------

Offlinegary123
Stranger

#432681 - 06/14/10 01:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

is it only fox farm ocean forest???

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals