Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHelicees
Stranger
My first clone, semi grow log - semi help post.
    #416332 - 05/12/10 08:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hello Growery, first time poster long time reader.

Here's the deal, a friend of mine has a Arjan's Haze #1 growing and he had a branch growing downwards and it wasn't gonna get much light.
So he cut it and was gonna throw it away, not being much of a cloner (he always starts from seeds) so i interjected and got the cutting.

I quickly googled the how to's of cloning to get a quick run through as i didn't want to mess anything up. Ofcourse i didn't have any rooting medium on hand, so i throw it in a glass of water (not clear). I remember something about splitting the stem helping to grow even more roots so i did that, and made sure there was no air bubble (from the bible) then i trimmed the lower 2 leaves leaving only the top 2, put the cutting in a medium sized pot half filled with soil and covered it with saran wrap and poked a few holes in it.

I wasn't very optimistic at first, since I've heard sativa's can be harder to clone, i had no rooting hormones and it was from a upper branch. But after a few days it was really perky, the small leaves it had grown bigger and bigger, new leaves appeared and now there is even evidance of a 3rd set. However these leaves are growing very slowly and  there are still no roots.

I know there are no roots because I've had to physically remove the stem and place it a lil' better. What's worst is my dad rang the doorbell as i was doing this, so i had to hide the pot (pun unintended) and get to it later. He sure lingered and the plant was losely planted in the pot for maybe an hour or so while my dad was visiting.
After the visit the plant looked down .. it was drooping a lot.
I remembered reading about scraping the stem if it's too woody.. and mine was definetely very woody, so I scraped the sides of the stem, not removing the scraping but rather letting the scraping hang on the side as if they were roots. I centered the plant in the pot, got some BBQ sticks and broke them in two, and placed them as supports for the plant. Put it near some blue light and checked again in 30min. After those 30min the plant looked much better, i tried removing one of the supports for the bigger leaves and the branch held its weight SUCCESS! I could even remove all the supports, it looked like it was gonna be fine.

The day after the incident, Today that is, there was a noticable increase in size for all the leaves so i'm thinking the scraping may have done a lot for it.

So my question is i guess am i going about this right? If my plant is growing in size and it has no roots is that okey? The newer leaves were turning very light green a few days ago so i lightly misted it with some water that had a tiny amount of nutrients, mainly nitrogen. It's still pretty green but the tips of the newer leaves are turning the regular green color. Was that okey?

And yes before anyone asks, i air it out and mist it daily sometimes 2-3 times.

Pictures taken with a camera phone, quality is not the best.
Edit: added pictures. Sorry for huge size lol.

When i got the cutting it looked more like the plant does now minus the two biggest leaves.

Edited by Helicees (05/12/10 04:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAmnesiac

Loc: Under the sea
Re: My first clone, semi grow log - semi help post. [Re: Helicees]
    #416358 - 05/12/10 09:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

When was the cutting initially taken and placed in the water?

You can get some rooting hormone from lowes or even wally world this time of year. I would suggest getting some of that and another cutting if possible. I've never tried cloning without the rooting hormone so I'm really not sure if it will work or not. The kind I use is schultz rooting powder, it works fine as long as you aren't using a bubble or areo cloner.

How big is the container it is in? I like to use a container about the size of a double shot glass so I can see roots faster and not have to handle the cutting until it is ready to be transplanted.

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
Re: My first clone, semi grow log - semi help post. [Re: Amnesiac]
    #416376 - 05/12/10 10:39 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Amnesiac said:
When was the cutting initially taken and placed in the water?

Around 10 days i think. give or take a day.
Quote:

Amnesiac said:
How big is the container it is in?

Now it's in a pretty big one, basically i could flower it in the pot it is in now. the reason i picked it was i wanted a pot deep enough so that i could cover the top with saran wrap in substitute for a dome.

InvisibleAmnesiac

Loc: Under the sea
    #416392 - 05/12/10 11:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

10 days isn't long enough to get roots, I would just keep doing what you are doing (minus the nutrient spray) and give it another 10 days at least before expecting roots. If its in a really big container I would just leave it and use a smaller container if you try to clone again.

Good luck and I forgot to say it last time, welcome to the growery!

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
    #416398 - 05/12/10 11:35 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Is it that bad to mist it with some nutriants?
I don't use that much, it's prolly around 1/5th that of a normal plant would get.
Since it doesn't have any roots for nutrient uptake i figured it might be okey to give it a dash through the leaves. Doesn't seem to have adversly affected it in any way.

Offlinemasterkush420
The Dudeness
Male User Gallery

#416461 - 05/12/10 02:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Amnesiac said:
10 days isn't long enough to get roots, I would just keep doing what you are doing (minus the nutrient spray) and give it another 10 days at least before expecting roots. If its in a really big container I would just leave it and use a smaller container if you try to clone again.

Good luck and I forgot to say it last time, welcome to the growery!

I agree with Amnesiac....get a smaller pot for it and def keep it goin for more than 10 days so it can build up root strength..besides that get some good nutes for it for the long run. Either way...Welcome! :ganja:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first clone, semi grow log - semi help post. [Re: masterkush420]
    #416494 - 05/12/10 03:30 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, first off.  Don't transplant it yet again.  Leave it where it is.  The more you fuck with it the longer it's going to take to root.  Don't feed it any nutrients right now.  Cutting have more than enough nutrients stored in them to develop a root system.  If your seeing signs of yellowing and deficiency that's a good thing.  The plants removes nutrients stored in it's leaves to develop the roots.  So in time the cutting will look worse.  But this is a good thing.  Just leave it be and it should root on it's own.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
Re: My first clone, semi grow log - semi help post. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #416501 - 05/12/10 03:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Aight.
But just to clarify, i was not putting any nutes in the soil apart from the misting that missed the leaves and hit the soil.
I haven't done anything to the soil, it's still nice and humid.

And thanks for the advice.

Anything i could do to help speed things a long once it has started rooting?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #416505 - 05/12/10 03:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I know you weren't putting nutrients into the soil.  But they don't need to be foliar fed to root.

What can you do to help it along after it's rooted?  Buy this book https://www.discountbooksale.com/store/productslist.aspx?ProdID=131&ec=1&sort=11&AWTrck=1035642836&searchAuthor=Cervantes+Jorge&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=jorge%20cervantes&utm_campaign=authacc-0010&b=GGL_DBS_131_authacc_0010_703_00_*GeoUSCA*__jorge%20cervantes

and do a lot of research.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
    #416509 - 05/12/10 03:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I know you weren't putting nutrients into the soil.  But they don't need to be foliar fed to root.

Wasn't directed at you in particular :P just wanted to clarify since i didn't bring it up specifically in the original post.
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
What can you do to help it along after it's rooted?  Buy this book https://www.discountbooksale.com/store/productslist.aspx?ProdID=131&ec=1&sort=11&AWTrck=1035642836&searchAuthor=Cervantes+Jorge&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=jorge%20cervantes&utm_campaign=authacc-0010&b=GGL_DBS_131_authacc_0010_703_00_*GeoUSCA*__jorge%20cervantes

and do a lot of research.

I have the book :smile:
And I've grown from seed twice with my flatmate. (LST ftw!)
So far the grows consist of Super Silver Haze, Lemon Skunk, Hawaiian Snow and Big Bang.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #416542 - 05/12/10 05:09 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Okay, first off.  Don't transplant it yet again.  Leave it where it is.  The more you fuck with it the longer it's going to take to root.  Don't feed it any nutrients right now.  Cutting have more than enough nutrients stored in them to develop a root system.  If your seeing signs of yellowing and deficiency that's a good thing.  The plants removes nutrients stored in it's leaves to develop the roots.  So in time the cutting will look worse.  But this is a good thing.  Just leave it be and it should root on it's own.

I agree.  I have cloned 4 times using the method the OP is and fucking with them DEFINITELY delays forming of the roots.

IMO with soil-cloning, its best to just set it and forget it.  Yours does look good though, and should have no problem surviving if you keep doing the right things.  In the next few days I would start giving her more and more fresh air until eventually after about 10 days you can remove the lid altogether and she will boost the transpiration process, and with a few roots developed she will now rely on using them to feed, instead of using the leaves.  You can watch the plant transfer it's energy around if you've done it enough times, and can tell when she is ready for a real feeding w/out burning her to death.

Sorry if I rambled and didn't make sense...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
Re: My first clone, semi grow log - semi help post. [Re: Inverted]
    #418340 - 05/15/10 02:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Inverse for the input, i've been giving her a lil' more air now and then.
This picture is from 3days after the last 2 were taken.

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
    #419443 - 05/17/10 07:30 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

DAY 15:
Unlike the last picture this one was taken with the plant under the light.
It's getting pretty light green almost yellowish now. I haven't misted with nutes since the made the thread.
So it's looking worse cause it's forming roots?

Edit:
Also It's been under 12/12 light and not the preferred 18/6.
The reason is Ive got a very limited grow space and my flatmate was putting the mother plant to flower.
With 9-10 more weeks to grow under 12/12 could it get to a descent size? good yield would be what?
And if it doesn't grow to a good size, could i trim the buds off once ready and rejuvenate the plant back into veg?

Edited by Helicees (05/17/10 07:36 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #419505 - 05/17/10 11:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Okay well, here's the thing.  I've never seen anyone else speak up about this before but I've been noticing a trend for the last 2-3 years.  When I force flower a plant, the reduction in light seems to have some sort of reaction with the plants chlorophyll.  Every single time I reduce a plant to 12/12, I get what looks like the onset of a Nitrogen deficiency, but it is progressing the exact opposite as a true N deficiency, it starts with the youngest, freshest growth at the tops, main or auxiliary and then works backwards towards the older growth, like the lower fan leaves would be last to turn yellow because of light deprivation.  I say that because I also noticed this when I was forced to keep some plants in complete darkness for a few days, and my outdoor crop just exhibited the same signs when we had a 3 weeks of solid clouds...  I wouldn't worry man, if it was in trouble it would have already looked like death and/or kicked the bucket. 

Once you notice NEW growth is when you can start adding VERY LIGHT amounts of nutrients into the watering regimen, which should be fairly light at first because it won't have developed a root system capable of keeping up with a heavy watering and you could easily drown her with root rot.

Just keep doing what you are doing man, until you see signs of a definite problem just take a :chillpill: and :bongload:, relax and be patient.  Cloning that method takes about a month to create any sort of root system.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
Re: My first clone, semi grow log - semi help post. [Re: Inverted]
    #421589 - 05/21/10 10:54 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My flatmate was pruning the mother plant yesterday and was gonna throw away a whole bunch more cuttings.
I took the 4 biggest i could find out of the bunch (2 of which were only a tad bigger than the stuff i threw away) and threw away the rest. In retrospect i should have tried those as well just to try it.

I did the same as i did with my first clone, but this time i put them in a cloning tray.
They all looked pretty mangled, but the biggest out of the bunch looked worst.
I think i may have trimmed it's stem too short, i threw it away.
(all of the cuttings had been cut from the mother for prolly 20min or more before i got to them)

But i was left with 3 that survived, so a 75% success rate on that try.
I'm gonna keep them in with the mother while the lights are on, and then move them out of the closet during the mothers night cycle, to prevent a full 12/12 night cycle for the clones.

New Clones:
Just Planted.

That night.

Old Clone

Edited by Helicees (05/25/10 07:42 PM)

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
    #423902 - 05/25/10 07:55 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm getting worried about my oldest clone, it's starting to look a bit down.
I gave it a tiny nutrient dose 3 days ago and she seemed to perk up a lil but not much.

this is 14 days after i posted this thread.
ca. 24 days after it was cut.

OfflineHelicees
Stranger
    #424965 - 05/28/10 08:37 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It hasn't shown much growth for a week now.
The two biggest leaves have the right color but the newer ones are all light green almost yellowish.

Can a clone even root properly under 12/12 like it's been under for 20+ days.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale