Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSumbum
Stranger
 User Gallery
Difficulty with first indoor grow
    #412820 - 05/05/10 10:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hello to all fellow lovers of cannabis.  I am in need of your expertise.  I am a horticulture major so I know how to grow plants.  I have successfully grown and harvested cannabis outdoors.  However, I haven't had as much luck indoors. 

Below are pictures of the two slightly different set ups I've constructed.  I built a makeshift grow lamp with 3 light fixtures encompassing 180 degrees.  The first grow I had a shitty fixed fan and used 4 27wt cfls each rated at 1800 lumens each.  Watered sufficiently and lighted for an 18/6hr day and night rotation. 

Plants looked healthy at first but slowly declined, first with the tips of the leaves yellowing, then distorted growth with irregular distances between the internodes, then eventually the leaves completely died back. 

Abandoned that project, bought a much better fan, and installed one overhead 42wt cfl rated at 2700 lumens with a reflector hood this time.  Watered sufficiently, lighted for 24hrs, yet same story.  Plants were healthy at first then slowly declined with leaf yellowing and shriveling, distorted growth, and eventual leaf die back.

I grew in a soil-less organic medium which wasn't too rich and had a good water-holding capacity.  I watered sufficiently, not too much and not too little. 

I'm growing in a moderate sized clothes hamper, and with the nice little fan I installed I don't see how temperature could be a problem, although I never had a device to actually measure the temperature.  The seeds that I used were from several different strains and were stored in a sterile container, so I don't see how diseased seeds could be a problem. 

I also changed out the soil with the second grow so I don't think there was any diseases in the soil either.  I've read about growers using the same exact cfl's I used, and I tried growing at a distance of 3-4 inches and 12-18 inches, so quite frankly I am stumped.  Could anybody please reveal to me the no-brainer solution that I am probably not seeing, or is there really a strange dilemma going on here? 

If yall get this beginner malarkey all the time and their is an FAQ I can be pointed to then I do apologize for being a noob.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks yall.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Difficulty with first indoor grow [Re: Sumbum]
    #412823 - 05/05/10 11:04 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

They look like they're deficient.  Are  you adding any nutrients?  Normally at that stage in growth I wouldn't recommend it, but you say your using a soilless medium.  Is this something that you've made on our own?  Or store bought?? 

Bottom line though I think they need to be fed some nutrients.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: Difficulty with first indoor grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #412834 - 05/05/10 11:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Might wanna try using soil man, and also give them some nutrients as Hawk stated.

Grow Big, by Fox Farm, I have been using this since seedlings (Had some problems with them before I started feeding them the nutes, very similar to yours actually) and it has worked wonders for them.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Difficulty with first indoor grow [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #413523 - 05/07/10 05:08 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If you're growing in soiless mediums you have to give them food, even if it's just a tiny bit.  I grow in straight perlite and my seedlings usually need food sometimes towards the end of the second week, sometimes a little earlier.  Still, I find I have to give food to my seedlings a lot earlier then I did when I grew in soil.

Looks like an N deficiency to me, just feed them a small dose of some veg nutes and it should clear up and your plants should bounce back.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSumbum
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Difficulty with first indoor grow [Re: coda]
    #418285 - 05/15/10 10:24 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I see so yall really think it could simply be a nutrient deficiency?  It definitely looks like it but I've always thought that seedlings weren't suppose to be fertilized until they've grown for a few weeks.  But the pictures were taken 2+ weeks until.  Hmm k thanks yall I'll definitely try that.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Difficulty with first indoor grow [Re: Sumbum]
    #418783 - 05/16/10 09:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yah, but you're growing them in a substrate which contains no nutrients.  Gotta get their food somehow.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags