Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineagoutihead
Stranger
Some questions from a newbie (medium to grow, lights, filtration etc)
    #412122 - 05/04/10 09:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

SWIM is new to the idea of growing & had a few beginner questions to ask.

The grow room in question is around 10x10

What's better, soil or water?  Does one generally yield more than the other?  Is one easier etc?

Lighting: Metal Halide or HPS?  (arent they the same thing?)  I'm thinking two 400w bulbs either way. 

How many plants could be anticipated to grow under one 400w bulb?

On top of carbon, what other kind of medium can be used in conjunction with it to help get rid of the smell?

The plan for air circulation is 1 big large osolating fan blowing from one end of the room to the other that has an exhaust fan.

Thoughts?  (I realize theres a lot of info on this website, but thats the problem, there's so much that a little guidance is needed as to what road to research down.

Thanks.

Edited by agoutihead (05/04/10 10:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions from a newbie (medium to grow, lights, filtration etc) [Re: agoutihead]
    #412630 - 05/05/10 05:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

What's better, soil or water?  Does one generally yield more than the other?  Is one easier etc?

It's very hard to answer this as a big part of growing hydro vs soil is a matter of personal preference.  As for yield that is a variable which is heavily dependent on the skill of the grower.  You can fuck either method up fairly easily and end up with shit, or you can get most (if not every) things right and end up with a nice harvest of potent smoke.

As for easier, well, soil is more forgiving.  It has a lower startup cost (but greater long term costs), requires no moving part or additional equipment, and can work in pretty much every grow space.

Hydro offers more control and a quicker bounce back from mistakes.  You need to pay more attention to a hydro grow, and purchase special equipment like pH meters and EC/PPM tools. 

Most people suggest soil for newbies, I started out with soil and honestly looking back really didn't enjoy it that much.  I made the switch to hempy growing which is a type of hydroponic growing.  If it was anything I would suggest to someone just starting out, especially if they were interested in hydro, it would be a hempy bucket.  They're cheap, easy to understand and work with and produce great results.

Quote:

Lighting: Metal Halide or HPS?  (arent they the same thing?)  I'm thinking two 400w bulbs either way.

With a 10x10 Room I would suggest at minimum two 600 watt lights.  With that grow space however, you really should be running two 1K watt lights to be as efficient as possible.  With proper ventilation it wouldn't be difficult to keep a space that big cool with two 1K watt lights.

Quote:

On top of carbon, what other kind of medium can be used in conjunction with it to help get rid of the smell?

You could use an ozone generator, but I would suggest against it as ozone can be some nasty stuff.  Search google for ona brand products.  They'll work well if you're running the carbon filter.  Carbons pretty good though man, if you buy a filter that's sized for your room you should be just fine.

Quote:

The plan for air circulation is 1 big large osolating fan blowing from one end of the room to the other that has an exhaust fan.

Sounds a little weak on the ventilation to me, how big of an exhaust fan were you planning for?  Some more oscillating fans would be a good idea if you plan on running a passive intake.  The more air circulation and exchanges you have, the happier your buds are.  This is an area I'd plan on spending a little extra cash in.

Quote:

Thoughts?  (I realize theres a lot of info on this website, but thats the problem, there's so much that a little guidance is needed as to what road to research down.

I'd say it still looks like you have some more research to do, that you need to reconsider your lighting needs (or the size of your grow area), and that you should do some reading on how to properly vent a grow room.  I'd plant out your grow area on paper first before you go in there and start building.  When you do get set up, do some dry runs with your lights.  Check for leaks, temperatures during night and day with lights on and off, so you get all those kinks worked out before the plants go in.

Lastly I strongly advise not to skimp on your timers.  They make digital timers with a rechargeable battery backup for like 20-25$.  Trust me, nothings worse then getting half through a grow to have your shitty timer go out on you and completely fuck the light schedules up.

Good luck, ask lots of questions and we'll give you lots of answers. :smile:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions from a newbie (medium to grow, lights, filtration etc) [Re: coda]
    #412796 - 05/05/10 10:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

And to add to a great response HPS and MH are not the same thing.  MH puts out a spectrum that is in the blue range and appropriate for cegetative growth.  HPS is in the orange/red range and is appropriate for flowering.  You could flower with a MH but your yield is going to be way down compared to a HPS.

If you have the money just get a switchable ballast so that you can just switch the bulb out once you go into flowering

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineagoutihead
Stranger
Re: Some questions from a newbie (medium to grow, lights, filtration etc) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #412873 - 05/06/10 01:54 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ok let me also add that the 10x10 room probably only has half of the room able to actually grow.  The other half of the room would be the entrance to the room (so nothing can be behind door) and then a work table off to the side.

So with that said, are two 400w bulbs still ok?

So I need HPS only, or you do a cycle with MH & then a cycle with HPS?

More fans?  Ok no problem, we'll include that.

But what about the ventilation/carbon/ozone thing you were talking of.  We were just going to rig up a high powered bathroom exhaust & add a carbon filter to it by fabricating something.  Shouldnt be too hard.

The only timers I've ever seen are the outdoor ones & the cheap walmart ones.  What are the ones you're talking about?

I guess we will lean mostly to soil.  But I may be interested in trying to setup a single hydro station just to try it out.

I'll have to do a little more research on this hempy bucket... any ideas on a good read/tek?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions from a newbie (medium to grow, lights, filtration etc) [Re: agoutihead]
    #412876 - 05/06/10 02:42 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well as far as timers go if you go to local hydro shop they will have what you need.  I'm not sure what he's talking about on "rechargeable timers".  Most timers just plug in to the outlet and the light into it.  Then set the on and off time.  The BIG thing is to make sure that you timer can handle the amount of AMPS that your going to be pulling through it.  That's why I recommend getting one at the grow store if your knowledge of electricity is lacking.

If your on a budget you can with HPS the whole way through.  But if you have money to spend then go with a ballast that's switchable.  Whatever you do don't get a MH only.  MH sucks for flowering. 

As far as how much you need in the way of light, I would just go for a single 1000 watt for the area your growing in.  You wont be disappointed.

Hydro vs. Soil, both are great.  I have had fantastic experiences with both.  What should make the sway in your situation is which do you think you want to do.  Hydro is not that difficult as long as your willing to pay attention to detail on a daily basis.  Just choose which one you want based on what your desire is.

Lastly, go and buy a book about growing.  It sounds like you have a lot to learn.  Something like Jorge Cervantes "Indoor Marijuana Growing Guide"  Great info in there for the new grower. 

Good luck man.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions from a newbie (medium to grow, lights, filtration etc) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #413169 - 05/06/10 04:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not sure what he's talking about on "rechargeable timers".

lol, the timer isn't rechargeable, the battery backup is!  These are digital timers so if the power goes out so will your settings etc.  So most of the digital timers include a rechargeable battery which can power the timer in case of a power outage.

Quote:

So with that said, are two 400w bulbs still ok?

In a 5x5 area two 400 watt lights would do you just fine.

Quote:

But what about the ventilation/carbon/ozone thing you were talking of.  We were just going to rig up a high powered bathroom exhaust & add a carbon filter to it by fabricating something.

This is not sufficient, you need a fan which can exchange the air in the grow space area as close to two times a minute as possible.  So you need to pick up a high CFM rated exhaust fan So if you had a 5x5x5 room you would be looking at minimum a 250 CFM fan to give you proper exchange.

Quote:

The only timers I've ever seen are the outdoor ones & the cheap walmart ones.  What are the ones you're talking about?

Neither of those choices, in fact those are the timers you should look to avoid IMO.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=734105

That's what I'm speaking of, or something similar to it.

Quote:

I'll have to do a little more research on this hempy bucket... any ideas on a good read/tek?

Several people here grow hempy style, but just google it and read.  You'll find a lot of information on it.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder