Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: ChillWillis]
    #412127 - 05/04/10 09:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

To quote your very biased website

Quote:

The researchers pointed to fishing, pollution, climate change, increasing acidity of the ocean and the destruction of marine habitats as some of the key factors for the decline.

So fishing is only part of the problem. The real problem is people, not the fishermen themselves :wink:

So don't hate on the people who have the utmost respect for these sea creatures and who's families depend on the continued existence of these species. Just as the fisheries management evolves, so do the fishermen and their fleets. People will always look to the sea for its bounty, and as long as its viable there will be people making a living at it. :stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: DungenessDank]
    #412131 - 05/04/10 09:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

People have been eating out of the oceans and seas since the times of Jesus. (regardless of what you believe, that's not what we're talking about here.)  It's in the bible dude.  People are going to continue to eat fish, meat, vegetation, all that shit.  That's how people survive and exist.  Like :wtf:  Are we not supposed to fish or something? :confused:

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #412136 - 05/04/10 09:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Exactly FBD, thank you :thumbup: My posts take me too long to write.

Plain and simple, the number one problem is habitat destruction. In areas where we see little human development. IE Bristol Bay, AK we have recently seen a RECORD catch and RECORD numbers of returning sockeye to the river systems. Fishermen who have a stake in this fishery fight every step of the way to preserve the environment there, despite pressures from outside industries.

These fisherman are getting the same price they were getting 20 years ago for their fish, and I guarantee you that their expenses are FAR greater now. So even as their profits shrink from expense costs, they are putting their own hard earned money back into protecting the areas ecosystem.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: DungenessDank]
    #412148 - 05/04/10 10:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm glad you agree aquaculture sucks! It's still gaining popularity regardless of its hazards, money is money to these people and it's not like you can taste the mercury or high concentrations of feces they lived in.

I'm sorry if "Fisherman want to catch as many fish as they can and sell them - I'm sure they're the biggest supporters of eliminating fishing restraints." interpreted as that they want to deplete the ocean of commercial fish. Just that without limitations in place I'd set my watch and warrant on them doing it anyway. Since when have you known big business to limit it's production to just what it needs to get by? Overconsumption is fed by overproduction and we LOVE that shit.
Inverted: that's the same problem I had with your response. You're talking about just one area and I was talking about the world. Either way I'd bet that the only places fish populations are on the rebound is in strictly no fishing conservation areas.
I totally agree that everyone treats the environment differently too.. It's just that back to the point I made above - We're so capitalistic (on the whole) that all those good-doers, (I'd like to think people like you and I,) are outnumbered one-thousand to one.
It's totally a biased website, it just happened to be the first one I found with that quote and a bunch of other info and references for it all. There's a lot more websites biased and not that will tell you the same stuff.
I think that fishing is the primary reason that fish populations were/are in decline. Those other ones just further the problem.

Either way we're not treating the environment well, I thought Growery was more proactive than this. :tongue2:

(Please note that I didn't use any definitives in this entire post so don't go saying "Oh you're such a dumbass for not knowing that", as much as I'd like to only speak in facts I just do not have the time to do the research required to appease you all.)

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: ChillWillis]
    #412163 - 05/04/10 10:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I guess everyone doesn't have to eat seafood. I'll tell you this though, you can get guilt free fish or shellfish right off the boat, because these people really do care about their profession and the environment. Fishermen are proud people and the last thing they want is a world without any fish.

I agree when you start dealing with the canneries, processors, and the foreign markets, there is a lot of money pushing things along. But as it is, these industries are on life support, and consequently so are the communities who are employed by these industries.

No one wins when the environment is steadily going in the shitter. I could look at almost any agricultural industry and point out the evil in it all. But until we are all eating locally grown organic foods, the free market will do its thing.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom