Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBurbles
 User Gallery

Salicylic Acid -- An Amazing Plant Hormone.
    #402337 - 04/15/10 11:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Study after study, it has been shown that salicylic acid causes great things to happen to various species of plants. Such things as:
  • Increased Roots
  • Increased Foliage
  • Increased Fruit
  • Increased Flowers
  • Increased Resistance to Pathogens
  • Increased Chlorophyl
  • Increased shoots, ability to root, and more...

http://books.google.com/books?id=AxUhFMcwSrMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=SALICYLIC+ACID+-+A+Plant+Hormone&hl=en&ei=qOvHS9WqBY_esgP3mo2YCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Read chapter two!

there is a lot more info on this stuff, check it out -- I really think this could help some people grow some plants, and make them more resistant to drought, etc.

The trick is to use very very little salicylic acid -- I've read that .5mMolar solutions work well on tomatos, but even less on other plants may be better.

Salicylic acid is very OTC, made from aspirin... and is also found (sorta) in willows as the compound salicilicin (Sp? IIRC) which has been known to help plants root faster.

Anyways, thought you might like this.. if you try it, report back I am interested in it to say the least, and am trying it with a few plants of various sorts. All legal.

Also if you run into anymore documents, please upload them & link them here... I will do the same when I get the chance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

Re: Salicylic Acid -- An Amazing Plant Hormone. [Re: Burbles]
    #402941 - 04/16/10 06:39 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thats funny, I was reading yesterday about this in the growers bible. So you can use regular aspirin? What type of quantity per gallon are we talking here? Like how far down to dilute a 325 mg tablet?

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Salicylic Acid -- An Amazing Plant Hormone. [Re: Fick]
    #402943 - 04/16/10 06:42 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldn't go putting asprin in your plant.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
    #402944 - 04/16/10 06:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Isn't that also the active ingredient in wart remover? ...which can also be found readily in the adhesive of duct tape?

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salicylic Acid -- An Amazing Plant Hormone. [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #402948 - 04/16/10 07:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

It's the primary active ingredient in numerous over the counter Acne medications. No idea about warts.

There are thousands of different growth hormones that regulate plant biomass production. The most abundant of these is indole-3-acetic acid. Salicyclic acid is NOT responsible for regulating root production though, that is blatantly incorrect. It is responsible for chloroplast augmentation to alter rates of transpiration and photosynthesis.

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salicylic Acid -- An Amazing Plant Hormone. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #402959 - 04/16/10 08:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Rocket scientist or not, You still da man!:thumbup:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
    #402981 - 04/16/10 08:47 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

It kinda has a ring to it too. My mother-in-law says it sounds like the name of a death metal band-- SALACYLIC A-CiiiiD!!!

--------------------

Offlinemoogles
    #403678 - 04/19/10 01:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
It's the primary active ingredient in numerous over the counter Acne medications. No idea about warts.

There are thousands of different growth hormones that regulate plant biomass production. The most abundant of these is indole-3-acetic acid. Salicyclic acid is NOT responsible for regulating root production though, that is blatantly incorrect. It is responsible for chloroplast augmentation to alter rates of transpiration and photosynthesis.

Whoa! If I'm reading this correctly..this sounds beneficial. Is it practical..?

EDIT

I love synchronicity. I open ICmag and the randomly click the first link I see, this willow water thread..

and lo and behold my question was answered!

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3417916#post3417916

Edited by moogles (04/19/10 01:45 AM)

OfflineBurbles
 User Gallery

Re: Salicylic Acid -- An Amazing Plant Hormone. [Re: moogles]
    #405610 - 04/22/10 09:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

alicyclic acid is NOT responsible for regulating root production though, that is blatantly incorrect.

Did you even bother to read the link I had posted? That gives a lot of references, and here are some more -- you sir, are wrong.  Salicylic acid does increase growth of roots -- I don't know if it is directly, or indirectly, but it does...

Here is a quote from another site.... somewhere in one of the corners of the internet....

It might be well known to some that salicylic acid is a plant growth regulator, and if used properly will increase root, foliage and fruit growth of plants.

Quote:

Aqueous solutions of SA, applied as a spray to the shoots of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr. cv. Cajeme), significantly increased the growth of shoots and roots as measured after seven days of treatment. Shoot spraying of SA had no significant effect on photosynthetic rate. Growth increases were obtained in plants cultivated either in the greenhouse or in the field; SA-induced increases in root growth of up to 100% were measured in the field.

-- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VRD-3W292CP-28&_user=10&_coverDate=08%2F31%2F1998&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1223007067&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=99b317d10df99ade07f9800db2e20466

Quote:

This study was conducted to determine the effect of foliar salicylic acid (SA) applications on fruit quality, growth and yield of tomato under greenhouse conditions in 2006 and 2007. In the study, fruit diameter, fruit length, fruit weight, fruit number per plant, Vitamin C, pH, Total Soluble Solids (TSS), titratable acidity (TA), stem diameter, leaf dry matter ratio, chlorophyll content, early yield and total yield were determined. Tomato plants were treated with foliar SA applications at different concentrations (0.00, 0.25, 0.50 and 1.00 mM). SA was applied with spraying four times during the vegetation at 10-day intervals two weeks after planting. In the study, it was determined that foliar applications of SA showed positive effect on some fruit characteristics, plant growth, chlorophyll content in leaves, early yield and total yield. SA treatments had no effect on pH, AA and TA of tomato. Total soluble solids (TSS) increased with foliar SA applications. The greatest stem diameter, leaf dry matter and chlorophyll content were obtained from 0.50 mM SA treatment. SA treatments increased the early yield of tomato compared to the control. The yield of tomato was significantly influenced by foliar SA applications. The highest yield occurred in 0.50 mM SA treatment.According to our results, applications of 0.50 mM SA should be recommended in order to improve yield.

-- http://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=807_56

Out of curiosity, I've sprayed some of my current plants with a dilute solution of acetylsalicylic acid ~.5mM -- which i figure will hydrolyze into salicylic acid soon enough.

If I did the math correctly, for 1 liter, .5mM of acetylsalicylic acid is 1/4 an aspirin. If this works very well, this could be a applied to plants such as tobacco, cannabis, etc for very cheap, considering a gallon of the solution, which is misted on the leaves would only be about one aspirin.

I have more info on it... but I'm not to sure who is really interested in this so I'll upload it later if anyone is I guess

Edited by Burbles (04/22/10 09:23 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #405641 - 04/22/10 09:42 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm sorry I really don't have time to read those right now so I'm sorry if I'm missing this, but I read about 5 peer reviewed articles a day so I'm not really looking forward to adding those to my list.

Quote:

Aqueous solutions of SA, applied as a spray to the shoots of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr. cv. Cajeme), significantly increased the growth of shoots and roots as measured after seven days of treatment. Shoot spraying of SA had no significant effect on photosynthetic rate. Growth increases were obtained in plants cultivated either in the greenhouse or in the field; SA-induced increases in root growth of up to 100% were measured in the field.

Quote:

Salicylic acid does increase growth of roots -- I don't know if it is directly, or indirectly, but it does...

That last part of your sentence is where you really touched on the truth.

Here's what I was trying to say; the SA may be responsible for shoot growth, which in turn releases alternate regulatory hormones within the plant that stimulate root growth. Exogeneous application of SA apparently does increase root growth, but not because it's directly responsible for regulating the rate of cell division in the root zone, but because it's responsible for rate of shoot development. When a plant has overwhelming shoot:root mass ratio, alternative cytokinins are released within the plant that signal increased root development.

So in conclusion, yes, it does increase the growth of roots, but it's not responsible for it. SA is not a hromone that codes for increased root growth, and by the biological definition of the phrase we can't say it's "responsible," even though it certainly influences.  :smile:

--------------------

OfflineBurbles
 User Gallery

#405682 - 04/22/10 10:40 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

oh, all right! I get what you were going for now... thanks for clearing that up... I was a bit confused as to why it was dismissed so fast when their was some pretty good evidence supporting it. But I agree with what you are saying now.

Either way, I hope that SA could some how be of use for growing certain plants.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #405688 - 04/22/10 10:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

My bad, I should have explained that a little better initially with such a dismissive comment. Sorry about that, came off as a bit rude :sorry:

I'm a big fan of using hormones to try and increase the growth rate of plants. Check out "roots excelurator" by house and garden. It's a hormonal product, and I've never seen root growth like this product encourages

--------------------

OfflineBurbles
 User Gallery

#405696 - 04/22/10 10:51 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Would you happen to know what hormones are in it? I myself am not interested in really increasing the size of plants, etc -- so I'm not after a product, etc -- just after general understanding, and seeing what can be done OTC, etc.

I mostly grow flowers anyways :P

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #405703 - 04/22/10 10:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Unfortunately I don't and it frustrates me greatly! I've been searching around for that information for quite some time and either nobody knows, or House and Garden just keep it a very tight secret at this point.

And yes, I only grow flowers too :wink:

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #405711 - 04/22/10 11:13 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Salicylic acid is an important signal molecule in plant defense. In the past two years, significant progress has been made in understanding the mechanism of salicylic-acid biosynthesis and signaling in plants. A pathway similar to that found in some bacteria synthesizes salicylic acid from chorismate via isochorismate. Salicylic-acid signaling is mediated by at least two mechanisms, one requiring the NON-EXPRESSOR OF PR1 (NPR1) gene and a second that is independent of NPR1. Feedback loops involving salicylic acid modulate upstream signals. These feedback loops may provide a point for integrating developmental, environmental and other defense-associated signals, and thus fine-tune the defense responses of plants.

Clipped

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale