Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Autoflowering questions.
    #394069 - 04/01/10 07:01 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well since it looks like all my plants turned out to be male, I was wondering about autoflowering strains. I have a couple questions about them.

-Is there such a thing as an anti-anxiety autoflowering strain?

-How long is the the complete cycle of the plant usually?

-I think I read somewhere that you cant take clones off an autoflowering plant, is this true?

-I'm thinking about growing out one of my hashberries just to get some pollen. Can I cross an autoflowering strain with my hashberry?

-Anyone like autoflowering strains? Whats good about them and why?

-Anyone dislike them and why?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: Triptonic]
    #394426 - 04/02/10 03:47 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Triptonic said:
Well since it looks like all my plants turned out to be male, I was wondering about autoflowering strains. I have a couple questions about them.

-Is there such a thing as an anti-anxiety autoflowering strain?

-How long is the the complete cycle of the plant usually?

-I think I read somewhere that you cant take clones off an autoflowering plant, is this true?

-I'm thinking about growing out one of my hashberries just to get some pollen. Can I cross an autoflowering strain with my hashberry?

-Anyone like autoflowering strains? Whats good about them and why?

-Anyone dislike them and why?

1. For anti-anxiety, I recommend something Indica dom. Though, smoking herb isn't the best way to counter anxiety - it will help in the short term, but not in the long term I'd say it'll make things worse. Exercise regularly, no caffeine and no nicotine and you'll notice improvement.

2. As I understand it, you can harvest usually within 80 days from seed.

3. Logically speaking that doesn't make any sense. A mother plant (from which you take clones) is a plant that is kept under a light regimen that prevents the plant from entering flowering - by keeping cuttings in vegetative growth stage, the cuttings have an opportunity to develop their own root zones and grow larger. The whole idea of autoflowering plants is that they will begin to flower regardless of light cycle. I'm sure you could in theory take cuttings and plant them successfully, however I think you will see a massive decrease in yield due to the fact that the mother has to suffer incredible damage and the cuttings then have to develop their own root zones as well as grow larger - yet they are essentially already in flowering. I don't recommend it.

4. I don't know but that also doesn't seem like a great idea. Why would you do that?

5. Auto-flowers are considered more of a novelty thing.  What's good about them is that you don't really have to worry about light regimens and the cycle getting screwed up.

6. What sucks about them is that they generally yield on the low side, because you basically have no control over how big they will yield. Typically a huge determinant of yield size is how long you veg the plant for and how large you allow it to become.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: TomCollins]
    #394449 - 04/02/10 07:59 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

My 2 cents is that I LOVE these auto-flowers. They are perfect for my setup, as well as perfect for a newbie like myself. I'm kinda hoping for a male next time, because I'd like to get some more seeds out of these things for myself and some friends.

The yield might be lower than a normal plant, but when its ready to harvest in such a short period of time, I don't mind. I could still do a perpetual grow, I'd just have to calculate stuff...maybe start new seeds every week or two. AND, I can have "veg" and "flower" right in the same room!

However, it should be noted that this is my first GOOD grow, so my knowledge is extremely limited, and I haven't harvested my plants yet (nor am I very close). I'm just sharing my 2 cents so far :]

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #394483 - 04/02/10 09:23 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You can not take viable clones from an auto flowering plant, to propagate more plants you have to grow your own seeds, but thats part of what is good about them. You can produce many generations of plants quickly, in theory you could breed a plant for your needs specifically.

Crossing a non-autoflowering plant with an autoflowering plant though would yield you something like 25%(?) autoflowering seeds. You could then take those, and breed back to an autoflowering plant, and that would yield 75% autoflowering plants. Then I believe one more generation bred to an autoflowering plant, and you would be at 100% autoflowering seeds.

If that makes sense.

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: DungenessDank]
    #395486 - 04/03/10 08:08 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Im currently growing DP's Strawberry Cough which is claimed to be a very good anti anxiety strain, thats yet to be claimed by me.

As for autoflowering strains, I believe they have there place but for me nothing is better than a good mother plant that hundreds of clones can be acquired from.

Lets look at reasons why someone may want an autoflower strain. One main reason I hear alot is the need for a shorter plant, well this can be solved using a a mother plant and clones. All you need to do is root a clone or clones and place it straight into flower, you then end up with (depending on the strain) a short plant that most likely wont be more than a foot maybe a foot and a half tall when it finishes.

Another reason may be the need for a low profile outdoors, again clones or training can solve this.

One very important reason is the fast finishing time of the plant, well  if you have a mother plant you have solved this because you can then use her clones and they are immediately available for flowering upon rooting which will then take about the time a autoflower will take from seed to harvest.

Now downsides of autoflowers are many IMO, you cant clone, yield may not be up to par or comparable to a normal strain ect ect..

When using a mother plant your always planting a clone that will be somewhat stronger and more productive the older the mother gets, this is a big plus. For instance, if you take a clone from a 9 month old mother its likely to be stronger and more productive than a clone taken from that mother at 4 months old you see.
I think autoflowers are a fad right now like femed seeds that will ultimately pass and traditional techniques will prevail.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

Edited by Union420 (04/03/10 08:09 PM)

OfflineGrower420
Stranger
Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: Union420]
    #396127 - 04/04/10 09:34 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

if your a gurrilla grower then autos are the best cuz think about it they grow under 20 inches most strains do anyway. they take less than 80 days some as low at 65 from seed to harvest. this way you can have multiple harvests a year. the down side is they only yeild around 1 ounce 2 ounces tops if your super lucky.. some indoor ones may only yeild like 7 grams lol. but they dont need alot of soil or nutes which is a good thing. so i mean if you plant alot of them outdoors you can make up for the low yeild by having many many ounce plants lol.. or you could grow a regular plant which grow bigger require alot more work and harvest much much later then the autos.

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: Grower420]
    #397803 - 04/07/10 05:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Grower420 said:
if your a gurrilla grower then autos are the best cuz think about it they grow under 20 inches most strains do anyway. they take less than 80 days some as low at 65 from seed to harvest. this way you can have multiple harvests a year. the down side is they only yeild around 1 ounce 2 ounces tops if your super lucky.. some indoor ones may only yeild like 7 grams lol. but they dont need alot of soil or nutes which is a good thing. so i mean if you plant alot of them outdoors you can make up for the low yeild by having many many ounce plants lol.. or you could grow a regular plant which grow bigger require alot more work and harvest much much later then the autos.

Again, like I said, everything here can be solved by a mother plant and clones. Most clones placed straight into flowering will end up less than 2 feet, they will yeild about the same probly more in many cases than an autoflower of the same hight and will finish in the 'SAME' time maybe faster than an autoflower will from seed to harvest AND..you will  KNOW you will have all females where using autoflowers you will get males with reg seeds and even if you use femed seeds there MAY be hermies not definite (depends alot on how they were made and outdoor conditions) but the chance is there. In NO WAY does an autoflower strain posses an attribute that will make it better than a clone or clones from a mother plant. There are no benifits to choosing an autoflower over clones, none, even potency is alot better in regular strains not to mention the ability to increase this by continuous cloning since the plant increases the older it gets.

Experienced growers kno this and thats why we use clones, In no way are autoflowers better than a traditional regular strain plain and simple.

If your a guerrilla grower pack a book bag with clones and plant them, if you time it right you can get 2 harvests. You may be able to have multiple harvests using autoflowers but remember the males? that cuts down on product and seeds it up unless pulled, either way the product is less even with pulling males due to a lower plant count. If you plant 100 clones you get 100 females negating the need for multiple harvests. If each plant produces a minimum of a half ounce each thats 3.125 pounds. To get that from an autoflower you would have to plant at least 100 seeds that in no way will all be female so your already behind not to mention the cost of the seeds, you can pay considerably less for ten seeds of regular and pick a mother that will produce as many clones as you want for as long as you want.

As for autoflowers requiring less attention or nutes thats untrue if your meaning its strain specific. The reason they require less nutes is because they grow small and dont need that much but they STILL need nutes, its a plant thats common sense. A clone will require less nutes as well if placed outdoors at the time flowering in nature starts because it too will stay short.

You see there is nothing special about an autoflower and there is nothing to be gained by using them.

Nothing personal Grower420 I was just using what you said for example.:thumbup:

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

Edited by Union420 (04/07/10 05:25 PM)

OfflineGrower420
Stranger
Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: Union420]
    #397815 - 04/07/10 05:34 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

well if you dont have a motherplant you cant really do this lol

OfflineGrower420
Stranger
    #397819 - 04/07/10 05:40 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

and my question is can you take clones from outdoor plants??? if so how?

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#397852 - 04/07/10 06:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You can take clones from an outdoor plant, but you're gonna need to propigate them inside, it really does'nt matter though.. Theres no point in cloning an autoflower..

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineGrower420
Stranger
Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: DieselB]
    #400034 - 04/12/10 09:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

well then i may have to clone my swiss cheese this year outdoor. So i can just bring it indoors under cfl with rooting gel perliteand just place the clone directly into soil?

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#400053 - 04/12/10 11:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

you need to buy Jeorge Cervantes Medical Indoor Bible my friend.

It has all your answers.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #400058 - 04/12/10 11:19 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If you were to buy his book, it's called Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible. Get the fifth edition, its the biggest one with the most info.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: DieselB]
    #402682 - 04/16/10 11:00 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thats the one. ^^^^^ Read it on a flight helped me sharpen my skill.

And you don't have to listen to a bunch of 1/2 ass answers every time you have a question.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #402702 - 04/16/10 12:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

"-I'm thinking about growing out one of my hashberries just to get some pollen. Can I cross an autoflowering strain with my hashberry?"

Yes you can.

But in doing this you must understand that the seeds will most likely not all be autoflowering plants.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: Stoneth]
    #402707 - 04/16/10 12:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, and that blows.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #402716 - 04/16/10 12:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

That's genetics for ya.:lol:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: Stoneth]
    #402753 - 04/16/10 01:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I heard that topping an autoflower will make it grow new tops and delay flowering a bit longer?? :shrug:

Don't hold me to this, it is second hand knowledge from locals growing da kine!
:shrug:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Invisiblehobowizard
growling grower

Loc: Baltic region
    #781953 - 06/14/15 10:38 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Evening, didn't want to create separate thread, just wanted to ask one simp' question:

Is it really bad to transplant auto-flowering plant several times? there's been already 2 transplantations, going to transplant one more time for now (its around 30-40days, idk rly).
Clarity: not my plant, just helping my friend, but I'll have to give him his plant later (atm it's in my gbox, will be going to balcony (friend's balcony). He will, though, transaplant it once again when it reaches him into really big pot.

Or maybe I should not transplant the plant and let it suffer for a awhile, because I'll give him his plant back in 10 days or so (not less), but the plant is looking worse and worse, it's leaves are getting down, perhaps it's because it's been flowering for around a week or so, anyway, any suggestions?

Might drop pics later.

--------------------
Feeling real good

Edited by hobowizard (06/14/15 10:39 AM)

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Autoflowering questions. [Re: hobowizard]
    #781959 - 06/14/15 11:02 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

How big of a pot is it in? I can't imagine how a 30 day old plant that's been transplanted twice would be root bound.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds