Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Some questions for all the hydro growers
    #389197 - 03/24/10 06:30 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

When you mix your nutrient solution, and you fill up your res. Do you leave the solution and wait until the plants have drank it all before you fill your res again? Or do you only wait say, a week then dump the solution in your res and mix a new one? Or do you frequently mix small batches of nutrient solution and add them into the res to keep it topped off?

This question may seem confusing, but I'm just curious as to what everyone else does and whether or not it really matters.

What I do is I leave the nutrient solution until the plants have finished drinking it.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: TomCollins]
    #389212 - 03/24/10 08:17 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

I change and clean my res every week.

My buddy running the co-op just tops off weekly with nutrient solution.

So I guess it's all in the growers opinion.

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers *DELETED* [Re: TomCollins]
    #389230 - 03/24/10 10:21 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: d

Edited by wishcouldeletethis (03/24/10 10:24 AM)

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #389409 - 03/24/10 05:21 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

I just got a ppm tester...  you don't want your salts to high either.
(if you just keep adding nutrient to the same res)

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
Building a flood table out of 2 kiddie pools
:heart:  Ebb and Gro - Buckets 2000w
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #389597 - 03/24/10 08:57 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

You want to either change out your res every 7-10days AND top it off with RO water when the water gets depleted so your reservoir doesn't get too concentrated.

You also have the option of add backs like if your target is 1300ppm you would add back 1/3 strength solution when your ppms reach 1000 to get to the target ppm.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: Stoneth]
    #393071 - 03/31/10 01:03 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

stoney.69 said:
I change and clean my res every week.

This is what I do.
I also cover my reservoir tank(s) to prevent algae from forming on the sides and top of my reservoir tank(s).
Furthermore I like to use the largest reservoir tank(s) I can fit into the space allowed to me at any given time.
Using the largest sized reservoir tank(s) I can fit into the space allowed to me at any given time is going to aid in making my nutrient solution stay more stable...

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #393164 - 03/31/10 12:09 PM (14 years, 14 hours ago)

seems very costly to drain and add nutrient to 50-60gal resevoirs each week!

I have been price shopping for nutrients lately, so I know ratio's and prices.

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
Building a flood table out of 2 kiddie pools
:heart:  Ebb and Gro - Buckets 2000w
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: Oatman2000]
    #393168 - 03/31/10 12:39 PM (14 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

Oatman2000 said:
seems very costly to drain and add nutrient to 50-60gal resevoirs each week!

This is my dilemma.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: Oatman2000]
    #393230 - 03/31/10 02:38 PM (14 years, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

seems very costly to drain and add nutrient to 50-60gal reservoir tanks each week!

Indeed it does seem...
This would depend on what level you are as a grower and the amount(s) of assets you have to work with. :wink:

Also where did you get 50-60gal's from?
Is this an example because I never mentioned any specific sized reservoir tanks nor was there any fore- mention.

Edited by Buddy Guy (03/31/10 02:50 PM)

OfflineTomCollins

#393241 - 03/31/10 02:54 PM (14 years, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
Quote:

seems very costly to drain and add nutrient to 50-60gal reservoir tanks each week!

Indeed it does seem...
This would depend on what level you are as a grower and the amount(s) of assets you have to work with. :wink:

I suppose your right, but you and I both know that it is best to use a large reservoir and to have a large amount of solution in it at all times. For people who are not running canna-factories in their basement, using large reservoirs and large amounts of nutrient solution, only to dump large quantities of it at the end of every week seems financially counter productive to me.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #393264 - 03/31/10 03:30 PM (14 years, 11 hours ago)

just do add backs, you don't need change your solution until flush.

you can start with veg nutrients, when you're at 75% nutrient strength add back solution to replace the water and raise your ppm to your desired amount.

using large reservoirs imho doesn't matter much depending on your nutrients. I find with GH my pH stays stable  and so long as I top off my reservoir with pH'd water it's fine until I change it.

I want to try a reservoir of veg nutes and add back flowering nutrients whenever needed until flush.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: captain.koons]
    #393304 - 03/31/10 03:49 PM (14 years, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
just do add backs, you don't need change your solution until flush.

you can start with veg nutrients, when you're at 75% nutrient strength add back solution to replace the water and raise your ppm to your desired amount.

You said this earlier but I had trouble understanding what you meant. Are you telling me my PPM/EC should be gradually getting lower and lower? Then when my solution is 75% strength, I should add back watered down nutrient solution to bring it back to a 100%? :confused:

--------------------
andyistic said:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #393334 - 03/31/10 04:45 PM (14 years, 9 hours ago)

Gradually your nutrient solution will be depleted by your plants. When the EC/PPM is above your desired amount from your plants depleting water faster than nutrients you add back water. Assuming you're topping your reservoir your nutrient solution will become weaker you would then add water and nutrients to bring it up to your desired strength.

IE. your 40gal reservoir has 30gals of 1000ppm solution and you want 40gals of 1300ppm solution you would add back 10gals of 2200ppm solution resulting in a total of 40gals of 1300ppm solution.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: captain.koons]
    #393342 - 03/31/10 04:52 PM (14 years, 9 hours ago)

But that's assuming all nutrients are depleted at the same rate. Would you expect to see a decrease in total yield using this method as a strain consumes (for example) nitrogen at a higher relative rate than potassium compared with the ratios of your new nutrient solution?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions for all the hydro growers [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #393405 - 03/31/10 07:09 PM (14 years, 7 hours ago)

If you know your strain and how to grow it, you should have your nutrients in amounts relative to the strains needs. You could easily adjust your nutrient add back when/if you see deficiencies and it will just be more efficient the next time assuming you run the same strain.

I don't think yields would be effected much at all.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#393632 - 04/01/10 06:12 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
For people who are not running canna-factories in their basement, using large reservoirs and large amounts of nutrient solution, only to dump large quantities of it at the end of every week seems financially counter productive to me.

The nutrients are mostly to fully consumed by the end of the week. :wink:
so if you wanna be anal you can empty you reservoir into a secondary tub while you clean out your reservoir tank once a week.
As far as seeming counter productive to "you" again this depends on the level of growing you do and the amount(s) of asset(s) you have to work with. :thumbup:

OfflineTomCollins

#393636 - 04/01/10 06:25 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
The nutrients are mostly to fully consumed by the end of the week. :wink:

Not in my setup. :wink:

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
so if you wanna be anal you can empty you reservoir into a secondary tub while you clean out your reservoir tank once a week.

So what your implying is that what's really important is to clean the physical reservoir itself? 

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
As far as seeming counter productive to "you" again this depends on the level of growing you do and the amount(s) of asset(s) you have to work with. :thumbup:

I suppose your right again - I don't agree with the logic though that if you have the financial assets to waste, then go ahead. Even if I was doing massive operations I would want to see a majority of what I buy to be used rather than discarded. I guess I'm just anal and cheap. :shrug:

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#393641 - 04/01/10 07:15 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Not in your set-up due to number of plants grown. :wink:

"Important to clean the physical reservoir itself" :thumbup:

I don't sweat the small stuff.

Majorities of nothing are going to waste here. Where are you deriving this from? There was never any for-mention mention of wasting anything...

OfflineTomCollins

#393648 - 04/01/10 07:58 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
Majorities of nothing are going to waste here. Where are you deriving this from? There was never any for-mention mention of wasting anything...

Well alright, my issue is not really with dumping out the remaining nute solution every week. You see, I use something called subculture by GH. It's meant to stay in your water for 6-8weeks. The product is expensive as well. It would be a huge waste to dump my rez once a week using that product.

Not only that but a lot of people use stuff by AN, and I don't know if you have any experience with their products but they have pretty high dosages for their shit. For example, I use big bud and sensizym. Your suppose to add 5ml per litre. In a 40litre tank, that's 200ml. Dumping my rez once a week means I use 1/5 of each bottle every week. Each bottle costs about 20€, which is 40€ every 5 weeks. I mean, that's not really a big deal - it does add up, but again, not really a big deal. Also consider I have to calibrate PH once a week, at least 50ml if not more of GH PH Down. Then of course normal nutes. I mean right there that's around 50ml average from each nutrient bottle. Again, this is not that big of a deal I guess but my operational costs would sky rocket astronomically if I actually started dumping my res once a week.

I mean I feel a little silly here nickeling and diming and arguing with you about this, but I mean really; It feels like I'm throwing a lot down the toilet and I'm really not that wealthy. Do you see what I'm getting at?

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #393699 - 04/01/10 11:25 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
Quote:

Buddy Guy said:

Well alright, my issue is not really with dumping out the remaining nute solution every week. You see, I use something called subculture by GH. It's meant to stay in your water for 6-8weeks. The product is expensive as well. It would be a huge waste to dump my rez once a week using that product.

Not only that but a lot of people use stuff by AN, and I don't know if you have any experience with their products but they have pretty high dosages for their shit. For example, I use big bud and sensizym. Your suppose to add 5ml per litre. In a 40litre tank, that's 200ml. Dumping my rez once a week means I use 1/5 of each bottle every week. Each bottle costs about 20€, which is 40€ every 5 weeks. I mean, that's not really a big deal - it does add up, but again, not really a big deal. Also consider I have to calibrate PH once a week, at least 50ml if not more of GH PH Down. Then of course normal nutes. I mean right there that's around 50ml average from each nutrient bottle. Again, this is not that big of a deal I guess but my operational costs would sky rocket astronomically if I actually started dumping my res once a week.

I mean I feel a little silly here nickeling and diming and arguing with you about this, but I mean really; It feels like I'm throwing a lot down the toilet and I'm really not that wealthy. Do you see what I'm getting at?

This is why I got a ppm meter.

I run a small amount of plants on a res. like 6 to 8 plants.

I've found that all I need is a 3 gallon res to do this.

I start the week at around 1300 to 1500 ppm and end the week at around 200 ppm so I'm not trashing so much nutrient when changing.

I don't see where a larger res would help my small crops.

The hydrofarm flood and drain that I use in my co-op only has a 4 gallon res for up to 15 small plants as well.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom