Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

PH in.... Ph out....
    #390003 - 03/25/10 04:32 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

I know testing runoff is a poor way to tell soil PH and all, but...

I watered today with water adjusted to 6.5. The runoff came out at over a 9. Its their second watering since their first transplant to this soil. I tested my soil mix after letting it sit for like a week in a windowsill and watering it twice and the soil test kit said it was right around 7.

Just seemed like quite a jump from 6.5 to 9?

The plants look fine though they are really green, so I could see there being a N buildup due to a jacked PH...

Maybe I'm over thinking due to my borderline OCD will to do this right?

^^^^^^^^^
Worried noob.

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: PH in.... Ph out.... [Re: Fick]
    #390030 - 03/25/10 05:24 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Not over thinking, I would say 9 is a bit far too alkaline for the plant to be healthy and it's probably gonna be exhibiting problems soon. What does your soil mix consist of?

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

Re: PH in.... Ph out.... [Re: DieselB]
    #390037 - 03/25/10 05:50 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/385681

Since posting that though, I added one more part verm, and two more parts perlite to make it a little airier. Also a touch more bone and blood, but not much, as my N and P tests showed pretty low on the scale.

I think I read somewhere that Dolomite and hydrated lime can be switched in equal measure for each other, just that hydrated is instant, and dolomite more like a time release. I thought I hardly used any for the amount of soil I mixed. Could this be the culprit?

I tested the soil and nothing was through the roof, and like I said, the PH was around 7.

Now only like 3 hours after watering, the tiny new growth is showing some curling. They looked really good from the time I transplanted into this soil, till right now...

What do I do?

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

#390407 - 03/26/10 03:10 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

I feel like an idiot...

After some reading, I come to find that I underestimated the importance of calibrating your PH tester. I figured since it came with the slip filled out by Tim at the factory, saying it was calibrated at such and such a date, that it should be pretty accurate for a while. Then I read you should calibrate every time you test.

How often do you guys do it?

Anyway, I calibrated to 7.0 and then checked the tap water, and it was 7.3, not 8.3 like I thought. So while this doesn't explain the 6.5 to 9 swing to me? At least now I finally have my PH problem corrected, again, and I can finally give them proper levels.

I've just been torturing these plants from germination. :facepalm3:

--------------------

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
    #390574 - 03/26/10 10:11 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

I calibrate every 3 watering/feedings, mine requires using 2 solutions, one 7.01 the other 4.01, this could be different according to the meter, Ive only used one so. I do it every three times cause I find my meter goes out a bit around 3 or 4 so I do it to be safe, again some may require more or less, youll kno when you become more familliar with yours.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies