Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDankenstein
Accidentally started flowering
    #384649 - 03/16/10 01:21 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

I have some plants (including my mothers) that have been vegging in my room on an 18/6 light cycle.  Due to my producing light while the plants' lights are off, they have all started to flower! :frown:  I now realize I should have had them on a 24 hour cycle to make sure I wouldn't interrupt their light cycle and confuse them.  Now I have more than one dilemma.  Should I attempt to reveg everything (clones meant for flowering as well as mothers?)?  Should I take cuttings of the mothers to reveg (especially the couple that aren't yet flowering) and just put the other clones into flower?  Or should I maybe attempt to reveg the mothers and put the clones in flower?

My feeling is that it would be best if I take cuttings of the mothers, grow them out, and keep them vegging by switching my veg area light cycle to 24 hours, and allow the current mothers and clones to flower.  Any thoughts on this or experience with similar situations?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Accidentally started flowering [Re: Dankenstein]
    #384705 - 03/16/10 04:50 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

are you sure your plants are flowering and not just showing pre-flowers?  Wouldn't be the first time I've seen them confused.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineDankenstein
    #384742 - 03/16/10 05:48 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

You may be onto something there, coda.  There's definitely calyxes formed but this is not necessarily a sign of flowering?  I guess the last time I tried growing there were no pre-flowers until I switched the light cycle - thus the confusion about pre-flowers.  Is there any noticable difference between a pre-flower and a flower?  I can see some calyxes with long white stigmas attached.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #384744 - 03/16/10 05:51 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Preflowers form at the crux of your nodes.  Buds form on the shoots (IE the small shoot behind the preflower in that pic).

If all you see are those tiny calyxes at the crux of your nodes, then congrats on your girl :smile:

--------------------

OfflineDankenstein
Re: Accidentally started flowering [Re: coda]
    #384748 - 03/16/10 05:54 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Awesome!  Thank you!  I will somewhat apprehensively call these pre-flowers for now since they do seem to be at the crux of the node.  I tried to rate you but don't have 50 posts yet...wanna help me get rid of thrips next?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #384750 - 03/16/10 05:58 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

heh, wish I could help you on that one but thrips are a major PITA to get rid of them.

--------------------

OfflineDankenstein
    #384756 - 03/16/10 06:02 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Yeah I've tried foliar sprays of potassium salts of fatty acids and foliar sprays and soil drenches of neem with a coco wetting agent so far.  I'm thinking tomorrow I may rinse all the leaves under a sink and then go get some pyrethrins *sigh*.  My cactus grafts are suffering much more from the thrips than these plants, though, and I'm not sure if I want to use pyrethrins in that case or not (or if it will even help).

Anyways thank you for the help!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #384761 - 03/16/10 06:06 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

No pesticide provides complete control of thrips. In comparison with other insects, most thrips are difficult to control effectively with insecticides. Reasons include thrips’ tiny size, great mobility, hidden feeding behavior, and protected egg and pupal stages. Improper timing of application, failure to treat the proper plant parts, and inadequate spray coverage are also common mistakes and can be more important in influencing the effectiveness of treatment than choosing which pesticide to apply. Before using a pesticide, learn more about your specific plant situation and the biology of your pest species. Often you will learn chemical control cannot be effective until the next season when new plant growth develops. If insecticides are used, they will only be partially effective and must be combined with appropriate cultural practices and conservation of natural enemies. Greenhouse thrips is an exception; because it is sluggish and feeds in groups on exposed plant parts, thoroughly applying most any insecticide will kill this species.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html

Some light reading on thrips if you're interested.

--------------------

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
    #384775 - 03/16/10 06:17 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Yes sir. This is pre-sexing or pre-flowering. How old are your plants?

Marijuana plants reach their sexual maturity at 6-8 weeks. This is the first sign your plant is preparing for flowering.

You can accurately determine the sex of your plants after 8 weeks. Using this method you can distinguish sex before you induce flowering.

OfflineDankenstein
    #384777 - 03/16/10 06:19 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Yeah, I've gone through that page quite a bit and it just leads to frustrations.  I've put up with these buggers for too long now...gotta get hard on 'em.  I think tomorrow I will start to rinse all my plants, spray pyrethrins, and in a couple days neem, then in a couple more days another dose of pyrethrins until they are gone.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies