Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFugueRider
God! I Love Psychedelics!
 User Gallery

Height of Plants When I Start Flowering
    #222284 - 05/02/09 07:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Most of the stuff I am reading about when to end the veg phase and move to flowering says that anywhere from about twenty inches to two feet is a good height to begin flowering. I think the biggest I have been able to find mentioned something like about three feet tall.

I get it that most peoples ceilings are about seven feet at a max. The grow light will also take up another foot of space. I also assume you don't want the plants growing right underneath the grow light. Given that marijuana grows as high as eight feet in nature, what is the rationale for stimulating the flowering stage of the plant at when it is still relatively small.

I guess as I am writing, a pretty important component of this is: What is the distance I should keepy my light (a four hundred watt light) from the top of the plants?

I am not questioning the wisdom of it, I would just like to know why it is done. The more I understand the reasons for something, the more successful I feel I will be.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNlightNd1
Male

Re: Height of Plants When I Start Flowering [Re: FugueRider]
    #222316 - 05/02/09 10:55 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You don't have to initiate the flowering stage when they are small, even if you don't have very high ceilings. You can always tye down your plants in a spiral pattern to keep them low to the ground(see diagram below). This supposedly increases your yield as well. If you're using high intensity discharge lamps such as metal halide or high-pressure sodium lights, then  heat will definitely be an issue to address as these lights get very hot. There are instructions on the internet that show you how to build a light setup that will ventilate heat efficiently. It would also greatly help if you keep a fan blowing from the bottom of the plants, up towards the light source, and out the top of the grow room ceiling.

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

Re: Height of Plants When I Start Flowering [Re: NlightNd1]
    #222388 - 05/02/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Solid - Thanks for the pics. That is very clear.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Height of Plants When I Start Flowering [Re: NlightNd1]
    #223490 - 05/06/09 01:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:  :dancer:  :thumbup:     
          Very nice

Edited by triptonic (05/06/09 01:24 PM)

OfflineAKSE

Re: Height of Plants When I Start Flowering [Re: Triptonic]
    #223649 - 05/06/09 07:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Keep in mind that after switching to flower cycle, your plants will still grow about 2.5 times larger then they were when flowering was started.  For example, if you started flowering at 2 feet, your plants at harvest would probably be around near 5 feet.  With no training/pruning that is.

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

Re: Height of Plants When I Start Flowering [Re: AKSE]
    #225909 - 05/13/09 01:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

AKSE said:
Keep in mind that after switching to flower cycle, your plants will still grow about 2.5 times larger then they were when flowering was started.  For example, if you started flowering at 2 feet, your plants at harvest would probably be around near 5 feet.  With no training/pruning that is.

Well, that is good to know for sure. Thanks. Man, I think this hobby is going to be even more kick-ass than mycology.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Height of Plants When I Start Flowering [Re: FugueRider]
    #226434 - 05/14/09 04:21 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't say that they more than double... Not knocking what you said but in my experience my plants problaby grow an additional 1/3 of the overall height when flowering occurs.  If my plant is 4 feet tall when 12/12 happens, then it usually ends up at 5.5 ft or so and becomes much wider and thick... like a bush... but then again those are strains I am dealing with and my own personal techniques. In overall mass and volume it might double or more but when strictly speaking height, I'd say take your inches, multiply it by .33, then add that to the original height, figure it will be somewhere around there... correct me if i'm wrong

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineAKSE

Re: Height of Plants When I Start Flowering [Re: Inverted]
    #226531 - 05/14/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
I wouldn't say that they more than double... Not knocking what you said but in my experience my plants problaby grow an additional 1/3 of the overall height when flowering occurs.  If my plant is 4 feet tall when 12/12 happens, then it usually ends up at 5.5 ft or so and becomes much wider and thick... like a bush... but then again those are strains I am dealing with and my own personal techniques. In overall mass and volume it might double or more but when strictly speaking height, I'd say take your inches, multiply it by .33, then add that to the original height, figure it will be somewhere around there... correct me if i'm wrong

I agree, I would say they can double size in mass easily.  However, I think that how much taller they will get depends on the strain.  I think that because flowering is induced, during the night time the plant is working on producing the necissary flowering horomones,  not photosynthesizing (vegative growth) because there isn't any light.  It seems like they stretch from the decreased light explaining the height growth.  Although I don't know for sure, that is just my best take on everything.:shrug::lol:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies