Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebikewrench
turd polisher
Male User Gallery

Sluggish growth from my soil?
    #382235 - 03/11/10 08:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm growing a single plant (all I have room for)indoors from a high grade bag of kush.  The plant is currently under cool fluorescent lighting (50 watts in less than one square foot) in a room with an average temperature of 73 degrees with constant ventilation.

The plant is just a week old and about 1.5" tall with one true leaf set and the second set being very small >3mm length.  I'm using Scott's potting soil with Schultz cactus soil and a little bit of sand in a  3:2:1 ratio.  I sprinkled some 'continuous feed' granules on the surface of the soil (the green nerds-like looking candy stuff).  The soil measures 6.5 ph.  I'm using municipal tap water.

A cheap fertility meter measures the soil as less than ideal, after I had added some very old hydroponic nutrient to richen the soil (since I know the soil mixture I had isn't very rich).  My neighbor's weed infested yard measures 'ideal' on this meter for god's sake!

I remember being very frustrated when trying to start poppies indoors with this same soil mixture.  They would emerge, grow terribly sluggish, and turn white and whither away.

I believe this is happening with the weed and if I don't do anything it will be a waste of time/effort.  Should I transplant it into  another brand of soil or try to adjust the fertility of this soil?  Which brands would you folks recommend?  I've grown a beautiful, healthy plant in another soil mixture from a different brand.  Too bad it turned out to be a male.  Smoke was still good though.

Thanks guys for putting up with a new guy.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sluggish growth from my soil? [Re: bikewrench]
    #382249 - 03/11/10 08:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

1st- You smoked a male plant? :what:  gross

2nd- I would transplant immediately, cacti and cannabis are NOTHING alike, I can't imagine that soil is useful for anything. Fox Farm Ocean Forest is the Gold standard for soil around these parts but it's expensive and somewhat hard to find. If you're determined to use soil from Home Depot or Lowes then Miracle Grow Organic is probably the best bet.

--------------------

Offlinebikewrench
turd polisher
Male User Gallery

Re: Sluggish growth from my soil? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #382283 - 03/11/10 09:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I just picked up MG organic choice, perlite and peat moss.  Going to transplant it immediately!  Thanks :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #382290 - 03/11/10 09:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Be careful with the peat moss, it has quite the tendency for pH swings after a little while

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sluggish growth from my soil? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #382304 - 03/11/10 10:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just leave the peat moss out.  For one it's from a very un-sustainable source.  And second it's not needed at all.

If this soil mixture didn't work for something as simple as poppies, why did you decide to use it for pot??

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: Sluggish growth from my soil? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #382868 - 03/13/10 01:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

SOIL.

I would go to a rich top soil from your local nursery and perlite mix. 65/35% and a liquid organic nutrient such as fish emulsion that you can mix in water and apply by hand. Your roots enjoy a fluffy soil. They have an easier time pushing through fluffy soil in search of food aiding in more rapid growth.

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: Sluggish growth from my soil? [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #382875 - 03/13/10 03:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I reccomend 60% good quality 'loamy' soil preferably rich with organic matter, 20% perlite and 10% coco coir 10% scoria

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Sluggish growth from my soil? [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #383438 - 03/14/10 10:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My first grow (which is doing just fine despite needing a ton of food to offset the crappy soil) was in plain ol MG organic with perlite and some bone/blood meal. It worked just fine but now that I have some real dirt I will tell you the difference is insane. If you get the FF dirt by all means you wont be upset but there is no reason not to use the MG soil. As long as it is plain organic with no time release or moisture control shit and you give it a good complete fertilizer everything will be green, err golden, hell maybe both.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Offlinebikewrench
turd polisher
Male User Gallery

Re: Sluggish growth from my soil? [Re: pha3r0]
    #383798 - 03/14/10 11:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Update:  I did use the MG organic soil mixed with perlite and a little peat moss.  pH is near neutral.  The plant has rebound from its state of sluggishness and is now growing terribly fast (not stretching of course).  For plant food, I have the good ole' blue MG dissolved crystals.

I'm not trying to win any medals with this grow obviously.  It's about personal enjoyment :smile:

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#383902 - 03/15/10 07:42 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

good to hear.

On another note I am not sure what you mean by 'the good ol blue MG crystals' but you want to stay away from any time release stuff. It can make things very hard to balance if you get to much in the soil.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds