Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespacemonkey69
Trusted Vaporizer

Loc: Flag
Homemade Compost.
    #358353 - 02/06/10 07:30 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I have a compost pile behind my house. Since Miracle Grow sucks.. Can I just you the 100% organic compost in the back? I don't know how viable it is, But I know for a fact that it is somewhat rich in Nitrogen because we put Grass in there. As well as orange  peels and banana peels... etc. Pretty much things of that nature go into it.

So Could I solely use that? instead of purchasing Fox Farm?

--------------------
[quote]
“You see this glass bong?” asks Achaan Chaa, the Thai meditation master. “For me this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I smoke out of it. It holds my water admirably, sometimes even reflecting the sun in beautiful patterns. If I should tap it, it has a lovely ring to it. But when I put this glass bong on the shelf and the wind knocks it over or my elbow brushes it off the table and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, ‘Of course.’ When I understand that the glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious.”[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: spacemonkey69]
    #358598 - 02/06/10 06:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Solely, no.  You would want supplemental nutrients for your plants.  Adding compost is a great thing for your soil, but when you do this with homemade compost you don't really know what all your putting in there.

If your new at this then I would suggest that you start off with a basic soil mix like Ocean Forest, and use a simple nutrient line like Fox Farms.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #359841 - 02/08/10 07:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

This thread has really sparked my interest. I think I'll try composting this spring. Hawk made a good point in saying that it would be difficult to regulate what's in the soil for nutes. I think it would be very interesting/benefitial to the (organic friendly) members if someone were to document a compost pile from start to finish and gear a specific recipe for mj cultivation. Here's the first site that  I came across that seemed to have legit info on composting. There are some basic compost recipes to start off with and some good diy compost bin guides.

I don't have any experience with composting, but in your situation I would try cutting the compost down with some good loam and perlite/vermiculite. Mix it and then test the ph runn off and npk of the mixed soil. I test my garden each spring. Your local gardening or hydro store should carry a soil test kit. I think mine cost me 15 or 20 dollars and you can run quite a few test with it.  Just a thought your ya.

Good luck composting!

Edit: on the front page of the website I provided click on the science link.  It gives a great overview on the science of composting and goes into slight detail on the types of organic materials needed to obtain the best nutrient mixture. (Which from the little reading I have done so far it appears to be difficult to accomplish, but with practice it is "stated" to be possible.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Edited by Farmer Joe (02/08/10 08:53 AM)

Offlinespacemonkey69
Trusted Vaporizer

Loc: Flag
Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #360020 - 02/08/10 02:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I was waiting for you to respond. Haha

I think it would be cool to use strictly compost. But I guess ill have to 50/50 with Black Gold or some other brand. :shrug:

--------------------
[quote]
“You see this glass bong?” asks Achaan Chaa, the Thai meditation master. “For me this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I smoke out of it. It holds my water admirably, sometimes even reflecting the sun in beautiful patterns. If I should tap it, it has a lovely ring to it. But when I put this glass bong on the shelf and the wind knocks it over or my elbow brushes it off the table and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, ‘Of course.’ When I understand that the glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious.”[/quote]

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: spacemonkey69]
    #360234 - 02/08/10 07:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

spacemonkey69 said:
I was waiting for you to respond. Haha

Lol, not sure if that's a good thing. :wink:

It would be interesting to see a controlled experiment. Compost vs another major potting soil company.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #363038 - 02/12/10 08:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

if you use outdoor compost I think you need to sterilize it somehow to prevent the bugs from invading...

when me and my buddy would buy cheap soil we would bake it to kill any bug larvae

I personally would just buy some soil or soil ingredients and forget about the compost for indoor use.

Some mixes you may want to try

35% soil
35% perlite
20% coco coir
10% worm castings
topped with a handful per pot of bat guano

35% soil
35% perlite
15% worm castings
10% bat guano
5% mix of trace mineral elements, volcanic ash, washed sand, and something I can't remember, search my posts for soil mixes by dj shorts and big buddha. the first is big buddha's mix.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: captain.koons]
    #363039 - 02/12/10 08:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

thing I forgot = granulated charcoal.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offlineencryptor
Green Thumb #1
Male User Gallery

#374846 - 02/27/10 08:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Go ahead and use the organic compost you made!  First make sure you've flipped it many times and it is completely odorless and free of food scraps.  I bet there will be plenty worms too, which is totally good.  The longer you let the compost sit, the more those worms can eat your leftovers and leave worm casting.  This stuff will give you super dank buds!  If your bringing it to a hidden site outside, beware that animals might smell and dig up your soil looking for food.:syringe::mushroom2:

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: encryptor]
    #375354 - 02/28/10 04:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've got a compost tumbler ready to fall apart, but it did give me one good batch of compost.  Lots of it is pond waste, WAY high in N, but most of it is food and yard waste, with some contaminated mushroom spawn.

It almost looks like pure organic matter .  Will the contaminated mushroom spawn be bad for plants or does black organic matter simply equal black organic matter?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #375446 - 02/28/10 06:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I feed my worms contaminated mushroom spawn, I'd compost it if I didn't have a worm bin. I'd personally sterilize any compost made outdoors before bringing it into my garden.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#375462 - 02/28/10 06:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:strokebeard: ......

Naw, it's going outside.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #375468 - 02/28/10 06:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'd definitely use it outside. I also wouldn't be worried about using contaminated mushroom spawn or substrate because it's really harmless. Mold gets composted just the same as any organic matter. I'd worry if you put a bunch of human shit in or your dead dog or something.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#375479 - 02/28/10 06:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

cool. Thanks, capt!

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #375527 - 02/28/10 07:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In fact mold is what helps in the breaking down of materials into compost along side insects and worms.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade Compost. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #375627 - 02/28/10 08:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

insects and worms aren't vital to composting at all indoor and commercial composters may avoid the introduction of insects and worms because when all is said and done they need to be removed.

bacterial breakdown = key to composting

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#376127 - 03/01/10 12:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't see any rye chunks in the compost...when I did, I would hit it with a shovel and blueish smokey spores would puff out.

There are no worms, but loads of roaches and shit.  I put 15 gallons of pond scum and plants covered in fish emulsion, so it's pretty good.

I got my compost tumbler on the side of the road...I found it.  I nice $200 dollar one, but it is ready to fall apart.  Gotta put it back out on the road..

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #376148 - 03/01/10 01:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I found my pitchfork at a garage sale for 2bucks. It flips compost nicely :laugh:

I bet there's worms and you just don't see them, they don't go into the hot spots of your compost at all. I've found a lot near the soil of my compost pile when I start a new pile or when I've had to move my compost piles.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #376720 - 03/02/10 08:47 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

DJ_avocado said:
It almost looks like pure organic matter .  Will the contaminated mushroom spawn be bad for plants or does black organic matter simply equal black organic matter?

Trich (the mean green) contaminated spawn is great and will definitely help your plants, black mold is harmful to you, you don't want to be around that without a HEPA mask :nonono:.

Quote:

captain.koons said:
I'd personally sterilize any compost made outdoors before bringing it into my garden.

If you compost correctly, everything in there is beneficial, and sterilizing it defeats the purpose of live composting (all of the microlife will be dead).

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck