Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Hydroponic Eggplant Experiment
    #372633 - 02/24/10 04:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

SO here you can see a buried 5g bucket and a frame made from ABS pipe, full of red cynder.  Today the caulking is drying and I plan to move the eggplants in tomarrow.  I have done a great deal of research and some construction of hydroponics, but have never set one into operation yet.

Anyway, what kinda confuses me about this set up, is feeding schedule.  There are tubes leading to each plant for top feeding and the rest of the water will trickle down back into the resevoir.

Will anyone recommend a good schedule for the pump to be on?  I was thinking to let it run for 4hours a day, right around noon time...

I'm kinda thinking that the roots might choke each other out or not get enough oxygen.....shit I can always tweak it later.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Hydroponic Eggplant Experiment [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #372639 - 02/24/10 04:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:popcorn:

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Hydroponic Eggplant Experiment [Re: Triptonic]
    #374809 - 02/27/10 07:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey hey hey.

I put in the eggplant yesterday, still trying to caulk the leaks but it is working.  I'm still trying to get the hang of using a ph/ppm meter.  Ph is 5.8 and ppm is 400...I know.  This morning ph was 7.4 so I through in some vinegar, then some water, then some nutes. I haven't been measuring or anything but it is balancing out.  I am surprising at how basic the tap water is. (7.6)

How do you maintain the meter?  The instructions mention "sucking through filter paper".  WHAT!?

I'm not sure if ppm is calibrated.  Can it be calibrated by simply being set to zero?  This is what I did from what I understand..

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #374814 - 02/27/10 07:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

LOL I have no clue how to use an electronic Ph meter. But my water is even more basic than yours. It's above 8.5, which is rediculous.

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Hydroponic Eggplant Experiment [Re: Triptonic]
    #375281 - 02/28/10 03:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm fuckin pissed.

Not only did I leave the pump on overnight, the res dried up, AND it rained really hard.  Which popped the bucket out of the ground.  BLOOD SUCKA!:psycrankey:

I STILL have to caulk up some leaks, but the plants are growing well.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #376463 - 03/01/10 07:40 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

I just saw this but I am watching now :]

I love eggplant!

Offlinehisheater
trigger man
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hydroponic Eggplant Experiment [Re: Dephect]
    #378783 - 03/05/10 12:44 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Not sure about this but you might want to try interval timing as opposed to all at once. that way the roots wont get excessively wet or dry. maybe like every 15 or so during the day and 1 hour or something at night. I' also growing eggplant hydroponically. gonna try a raft system with some lettuces. Any news BTW?

--------------------
They call them fingers but I never see them fing... Oh wait, there they go.
-----------------------------------------------
Doo Yoo Hookah???

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Hydroponic Eggplant Experiment [Re: hisheater]
    #378834 - 03/05/10 04:20 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

I finally got the hang of balancing out ph and ppm.  The plants are growing steadily and nothing seriously wrong yet.  Just some leaks here and there that I can't seem to stop.  This whole time I've been using black latex shit....not silicone.  I've begun to apply clear silicone to the leaks today and I'm expecting the leaks to stop.

I don't have a schedule for feeding, even though I know I should.  Usually in the morning, I will wake up and turn on the pump for 10 min, then maybe again midafternoon, and maybe again at night.

It looks like such a piece of shit though now...I'm dying for some eggplant so I can tweak the system a bit.  Oh well, I'll wait and see what the silicone does, then I'll probably put the thing on a timer.  There is NO way that I can manage interval timing now.  The thing is already rigged and I just want to focus on stopping the leaks.

FUCK BLACK ACRYLIC LATEX CAULK WITH SILICONE.  THE SHIT IS SO MESSY AND BARELY DRIES COMPLETELY...

I can't wait to post some pics, but there's nothing special right now.  Definitely when I have to start tying them to the trellis though.

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#379146 - 03/06/10 03:47 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

:excitedseal:  Yaaaay!

No leaks anymore!  :grin:

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#386983 - 03/19/10 06:09 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Despite my previous post...

I got Real sick of all the leaks and messyness of the job.  I'm going to switch out some pieces and make a real nice setup with all the time I have. 

I know what I'm going to do, some slight modifications, but If it works out, I will have the meanest eggplant machine.  Will it ruin my setup if I create "breather holes" in the pipe so the medium drys out quicker?  Maybe a bunch of 1/4in holes with sun filter to block out the light.  Any ideas for breathable/lightblocking material?

Would switching from cynder to perlite help it dry out quicker?

SPRING BREAK!

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#434787 - 06/18/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

They just began to flower!  Got this design down!  No leaks and instead of 6 plants, only 4.  I also moved its location and where it was, there is now poha berry.  Among the mustard leaves on the ground is a few banana peppers and one purple bell pepper. Only now caterpillars are devouring the poha berry...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag