Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Heat Stress?
    #369007 - 02/20/10 09:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So, I've got a plant flowering, and I think she's pretty far along.  Say about 6 weeks give or take a week.  Anyway, she's trained into a pretty flat 1'x1' canopy...
Recently the entire canopy has started to yellow quite a bit...
She's developed quite a limey color, so not yellow I guess, just dramatically less green.
The thing is, the interior of the plant, and even lower growth is still a healthy green color.  I haven't heard much about 'newer' growth yellowing, other than growth tips whatever... 

Could this possibly be a heat stress thing?  Is this just the way my plant is aging? 
I'm worried for my buds... they're starting to look a little paler too.

My plan was that if it's not heat-stress it's some kind of PH problem...  I usually buffer by ph to about 6.5, but my tap water comes out to about 7 or so, so I haven't been messing with it...
I just watered with ph ~5.5 water to see if I can try to correct for it... 
I also took measures to lower temps and brought the plant about 2 inches further away from the bulb.....
Does this sound right to you guys?

If you guys need the full report on this plant I can do one of the 'fill this out first' questionaires.
I can also get pics at lights-on in about 8 hours.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Heat Stress? [Re: DudeTron]
    #369014 - 02/20/10 09:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The yellowing is normal. Toward the end of the plants life cycle they start to use their stored energy which causes the yellowing.

Later in flowering your plant will start to develop more color like the plant in my update. It looks pretty green in natural light (not as green as when it was younger) but bleached under the HPS.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: Heat Stress? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #369016 - 02/20/10 09:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Should it really yellow from the top down like that though?

I thought age-related yellowing was just the plant using the rest of the N in the soil etc?

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Heat Stress? [Re: DudeTron]
    #369022 - 02/20/10 09:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Its hard to do but yes you want the full luscious green throughout your garden top to bottom

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Heat Stress? [Re: mhbound]
    #369148 - 02/21/10 05:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes yellowing starts at the top because it's closer to the light which means it uses more energy. The plant is using stored nitrogen which translates into a little less chlorophyll. A little less makes a big difference in terms of color contrast from the top to the bottom.

mhbound: I understand that ideally you want them green from start to finish. But I think it is more strain dependent. The strain I have flowering now starts a slow yellowing beginning in week 2 of flower. There's nothing you can do to stop it. The ones I have in veg right now stay dark, vibrant green right to the end.

I just went through this myself. In week 2 of flower my girls started to yellow. So I started feeding extra with high Nitrogen and they continued to yellow (slowly). What happens here is that the plant TAKES UP less N during flowering (even if the N is there it's not being used). So this N builds up in soil instead, which in turn causes overfeeding.

Come week 4 1/2-5 of flower 1 plant starts to randomly die out of nowhere. Looks like overfeeding so I stop feeding all of them because I don't want the other 10(9) to follow suit. The one dying continues to die and gets the chop as one more follows it.

So NOW it looks like I have an underfeeding problem in the rest of my plants because they're not finishing as strong as they should. I can't feed them now because it's too close to harvest. Lesson learned.

That's why I think it's strain dependent. With my current plants, there is NOTHING you can do to keep them from yellowing. They also keep growing from the top. My NEW ones will stay green right through the end of flower. They stop growing and finish up all at once.

Here's a bud from my yellow fellows. Dosen't look look yellow now, does it?

DudeTron: Don't mess with it too much. You don't what to mess up what you already have. Keep the light close and keep doing what you're doing.

Wow, I'm high. /end rant

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #369150 - 02/21/10 05:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You will get some I should have said more...

But you ideally don't want any until the very end..if any at all.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
    #374020 - 02/26/10 10:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
The yellowing is normal. Toward the end of the plants life cycle they start to use their stored energy which causes the yellowing.

Later in flowering your plant will start to develop more color like the plant in my update. It looks pretty green in natural light (not as green as when it was younger) but bleached under the HPS.

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
Yes yellowing starts at the top because it's closer to the light which means it uses more energy. The plant is using stored nitrogen which translates into a little less chlorophyll. A little less makes a big difference in terms of color contrast from the top to the bottom.

mhbound: I understand that ideally you want them green from start to finish. But I think it is more strain dependent. The strain I have flowering now starts a slow yellowing beginning in week 2 of flower. There's nothing you can do to stop it. The ones I have in veg right now stay dark, vibrant green right to the end.

I just went through this myself. In week 2 of flower my girls started to yellow. So I started feeding extra with high Nitrogen and they continued to yellow (slowly). What happens here is that the plant TAKES UP less N during flowering (even if the N is there it's not being used). So this N builds up in soil instead, which in turn causes overfeeding.

Come week 4 1/2-5 of flower 1 plant starts to randomly die out of nowhere. Looks like overfeeding so I stop feeding all of them because I don't want the other 10(9) to follow suit. The one dying continues to die and gets the chop as one more follows it.

So NOW it looks like I have an underfeeding problem in the rest of my plants because they're not finishing as strong as they should. I can't feed them now because it's too close to harvest. Lesson learned.

That's why I think it's strain dependent. With my current plants, there is NOTHING you can do to keep them from yellowing. They also keep growing from the top. My NEW ones will stay green right through the end of flower. They stop growing and finish up all at once.

Here's a bud from my yellow fellows. Dosen't look look yellow now, does it?

DudeTron: Don't mess with it too much. You don't what to mess up what you already have. Keep the light close and keep doing what you're doing.

Wow, I'm high. /end rant

I disagree with you on many points, sir.
I am not saying you didn't experience what you experienced.
First of all,sir.
Yellowing at the tops of plants towards the end of a plants life cycle IS NOT normal. Also the yellowing of, in fact, the leaves, is not the plants "using the rest of the plants stored energy" however, specifically, the buds mining the nitrogen out of the leaves. This normally occurs at the bottom leaf-sets and works its way up. Your plants were turning yellow early into flowering because of too much nitrogen. Too much nitrogen looks like not enough nitrogen because the symptoms are the same. Yellowing of the leaves. Notice when you upped the intake of nitrogen when your plants were yellowing two weeks into flower, they began too keel over? Don't worry. This a common mistake of rookie growers.

Mr. Dudetron.  If your problem was heat stress, the buds on the top would appear burnt and the leaves at the top would appear deformed, burnt, and dry to the touch. Your problem, sir is too much food. Nitrogen specifically. Good news you are in the early stages of your problem. My suggestion to you is to Leech your soil and let the soil dry before you go feeding her again. This will flush all the excess salts and nutrients out of the soil. Also start back up with a quarter nutrient mix then what you have been using.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Heat Stress? [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #374024 - 02/26/10 10:51 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you are 6 weeks into flowering it could be about time to stop feeding all together if it's an indica and nitrogen is pretty much unneeded at this point as far as I know. In fact I think I read that during flowering cutting off nitrogen can help the plant uptake more phosphorus but don't quote that.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: Heat Stress? [Re: pha3r0]
    #374173 - 02/26/10 04:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I appreciate the response quite a bit.

It was also my understanding that the nitrogen issue should start from the bottom up, but had no idea too much would look that way it does.

At any rate, my plant has started to look quite a bit worse over the past week... it's really a shame because she's so far along.

One of the main problems I've had with this plant is not knowing what stage she's in throughout the grow/flower cycles.  My latest theory is that she's just an extremely heavy calyx producer and that she didn't in fact start flowering until I flipped her to 12/12...

A couple reasons I've decided this:

Here's a picture of a clone taken from her:   Heavy calyx production in veg... again this plant is vegging.

I just bought a pocket microscope and she's about 15% clear, 5% amber, 80% cloudy trichomes, which as far as I know, is more consistent with her actual 6 weeks of 12/12 versus my assumed 8 weeks of "flower".

Because I had no idea where she was at in her cycle, I was feeding her HEAVY at about 3-4 weeks of flower with everything including high phosphorus supplements.

So after looking at the trichomes just about an hour ago for the first time, I said "oh fuck my plant is sucking ass".  Flushed her with 6 gallons of water, and topped off with a light feeding of:
1tbs big bloom,
1/8 strength cal-mag,
a drop of superthrive,
and 1 tsp molasses
/ gallon

Although I'm actually really happy with these genetics I believe her full potential has come and gone... Better luck next time?  Wish me luck guys, and thanks again.

~DT

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds