Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoutdrME
outdr fanatic
Male
Loc: outthere
waiting on spring could use advice
    #370873 - 02/22/10 06:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I plan on growing outdoor in random spaced spots. I live in the north east and we tend 2 get a decent amount of rain.I was wondering if i should go with the 5 gallon buckets buried or the grow bags?I need 2 keep it low-key and looking natural hence the burying of the buckets or bags. I'm growing in a suburb just out side the urban setting by like 1 mile. I plan on putting them just outside of the powerlines we have running through by the farm. Theres a natural water source real close by but there is an awful lot of foot traffic that goes through there.there is also alot of thick under growth and bog settings that i plan 2 take full advantage of. any help on the decision making is greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: outdrME]
    #370994 - 02/22/10 07:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

DO NOT plant near power lines. That's just begging to get caught. You would be better off going to turn yourself in right now.

You need a spot where there is NO foot traffic! Start looking for another spot. If you are in the Northeast then this shouldn't be a problem.

DO NOT put them on your land. Put them on your neighbors land or further away where they are still easily accessible. I think buried 5gal. buckets is a great idea. Same with grow bags, good stuff and cheap.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineoutdrME
outdr fanatic
Male

Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #371037 - 02/22/10 07:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

it's not on the power lines it's about a quarter mile off on this land that has been logged in the past ten years with with skinny trees and real thick under growth.the land is down the road from me about 1/10th mile on a commercial property.pretty much unused and well posted.but there are public trails not too far from the sight.transportation is kind of an issue so i try 2 keep it close 2 home.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #371381 - 02/23/10 08:35 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would advise against using buckets or bags in an outdoor grow. The whole world is made of dirt out there, there's no need to bring your own in a bucket. Bring a shovel and some soil amendments and plant in a hole. I guarantee those plants would be root bound in a 5 gallon bucket by mid-summer.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: DungenessDank]
    #371389 - 02/23/10 09:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think you may be right Dungeness. The more I think about it the more I'm rethinking my plan of action. If they're close to 2 months old when they go out, it definitely wouldn't take long to get root bound. Thanks for the input.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineoutdrME
outdr fanatic
Male

#371400 - 02/23/10 09:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

okay i get the whole bound up in a bucket thing so how about cutting the bottom off a bucket and sticking that in a bag full of pre-treated soil? i plan on putting these in this swamp like setting with a pool of water every whole i dig so i can't just drop them in the ground.my strain chosen is def indica dom,fem seeds from a buddy with good results.i believe the bag should hold out most of the moisture from the surrounding area if attached to the bucket properly?

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #371463 - 02/23/10 01:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That is exactly how I did my swamp grows.  4 gallon buckets, with the bottom cut off, with a black garbage bag w/ a few holes in the bottom filled with soil, so about 10 total gallons of soil, and come harvest time there was 6" of standing water at my plot and I had zero complications.

Sounds like a great plan, although I don't know if I would dig holes or not.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineoutdrME
outdr fanatic
Male

Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: Inverted]
    #371534 - 02/23/10 02:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i'm not so sure about the holes either but i really want 2 keep it as natural looking as possible.any other ideas or input on keeping low key would be great.thanx 4 the advice guys

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #372226 - 02/24/10 05:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well anyway. Holy shit. Now I'm just gonna have to do it BOTH ways!

Thanks fuckers. Now I have twice as much to do this spring. :awesomenod:

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #372250 - 02/24/10 07:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm going with 5 gal buckets this spring.

We got a lot of rain in my area last season...like an un-godly amount. All my friends that grew in buckets had a great harvest.

In order to avoid the root bounding issue I will be transplanting into the ground as soon as the rainy season ends. (Assuming it doesn't end in august like last summer).  I was thinkin of transplanting in the end of june...so the girls get at least one month or so of veg to stretch their legs.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #372271 - 02/24/10 07:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I hear ya Farmer Joe. We're in the same state and last season was rough on the weather.

I'm hoping this year will be much better. If we hit a long dry spell though it will mean having to water almost everyday using buckets. I guess that's fine though. My plot is between work and home.

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#372284 - 02/24/10 08:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I found a spot not 10 minutes from my house that I thought was good but sometimes floods when the river is high. i like the bucket in bag idea to prevent drowning, that spot may be usable after all. good thing cause it is the best one i have right now i think i could easily put 10 down along the high water line where all the cat tails and grasses grow. with the trees they might not even look out of place.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: pha3r0]
    #372305 - 02/24/10 08:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

When they get BIG they ALWAYS look out of place.

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#372311 - 02/24/10 09:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

heh well you know what i mean. the trees are taller then they will get and have long skinny leaves that from a distance look similar. but yeah i am under no disillusions, if someone gets within 15 or 30 feet they are gonna know right away it's not a local strain :smile:

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Offlinethe man

Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: pha3r0]
    #376534 - 03/01/10 09:50 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

really you planted in very swampy conditions and they tolerated it ok? was there any moving water at all? near a hill or river ect? ive never had the balls to plant in or near a swamp figured they would just get root rot. You use a holland outdoor sativa??

Offlinethe man

Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: the man]
    #376547 - 03/01/10 10:03 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

also its not clear to me how holes in the bag under the bucket would work. you bury it right? if there is holes and it is underground that water would get pushed up due to artisan pressure, no bag with some holes will stop the water level. if you dont have holes water could get trapped and flood plant. or is the bucket on top ofground and bag is just a bit under the ground??
Sorry maybe i just dont get it.

Offlinethe man

Re: waiting on spring could use advice [Re: the man]
    #382371 - 03/12/10 04:07 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

??

and is teh bucket meant just to keep other roots out??

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck