Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Fox Farms Happy frog
    #365100 - 02/16/10 08:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well I stopped by the garden shop here and to my amazement I found Fox Farms' whole line of cactus/succulent acid lover type soils. My mind realed, 'If they have this they must be able to get the other stuff', and I was off to find a clerk.

The manager told me I could fill out a request online but let me down a little when he told me the FF products they have now never sell so he thought it might be a long shot unless I wanted a half a pallet or something. He then asked if the Happy Frog soil conditioner would be of interest to me and told me he has a half dozen bags in the back he needs to get rid of.... I did not make the purchase because at 20 bucks a bag I want to be sure it's something I really want.

So can I get the happy frog make do by adding in some other stuff? The FF OF has several things the happy frog doesn't but they look like mostly just nutrient sources which I can supplement.

If this stuff is good I might go buy all 6 bags and see about a discount, my garden could use a few bags of good dirt any ways.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Fox Farms Happy frog [Re: pha3r0]
    #365124 - 02/16/10 10:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Happy Frog is the closest thing to Ocean Forest I believe, just a little more simple.

I have heard of it being used all alone many times.  If anything buy a few quarts of Perlite and condition the HF with that.

20 bucks is the standard price for a 1.5 Cubic foot bag of Fox Farms soils.  You can find them cheaper online but will probably end up paying more for shipping.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Fox Farms Happy frog [Re: Inverted]
    #365143 - 02/16/10 10:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well that's good to hear I have plenty-o perlite on hand and I think my buddies still got a half bag of bone and blood meal which I was gonna put in some of. Hopefully by the end of the week the clones are in this  new dirt and I can be done with all their little problems.

Oh and these are 3 cubic foot bags I believe, they may have already marked em down some they said they got em in over a year ago.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #365744 - 02/16/10 10:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Man I pay 13.95 for OF at my hydro store.  HF will work but like inverted said, best to supplement that soil with perlite, it really doesn't have much in it at is.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Fox Farms Happy frog [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #365752 - 02/16/10 10:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I am gonna check out the soil mix threads and figure out a workable mix. I figure though since it's pretty much the base of their other soils I should come up close. Will have to buy a few extras but it's gotta be better then the MG :smile:

Just watered the clones after letting them get nice and dry. They look a bit better but are showing some P def I think, gave em some but I want them in the new dirt before I go throwing a bunch of nutes at them or anything.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #365823 - 02/16/10 11:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Are these clones that are rooting??  if so do NOT give them ANY nutrients.  Clones get the energy to develop roots by taking them from the leaves.  This is why they will start looking deficient if your new to cloning.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Fox Farms Happy frog [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #365954 - 02/17/10 09:04 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yes I am aware of that hawks, these are well past rooting, the 2ltr bottles are getting root bound. That's why I am wanting to solve the dirt issue so I can repot them into their final containers and have good dirt.

Looks like Friday will be the day I am going to get 2 or 3 bags of the happy frog and some other stuff along with some square pots hopefully or a couple of the clones will not fit in the veg chamber.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #366796 - 02/17/10 08:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Okay cool, it just sounded like rooting clones and I got a little startled.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#369172 - 02/21/10 08:29 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Bumping for a new question on this stuff.

It's got more bark than I anticipated I am thinking I should mix it with some regular potting soil as well as the perlite. can someone tell me about what % of bark there is in the FF OF product or if it's not a problem should I just not cut it down. There is some dirt in it but not a lot and it doesn't hold much water at all by itself.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #369288 - 02/21/10 12:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Have no idea of the percentages of the bark and stuff but have used both products by themselves many times with no problems at all.

I can't even remember if this is in OF or HF

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Fox Farms Happy frog [Re: Magash]
    #369332 - 02/21/10 01:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:awesomenod:

Exactly, I use it by itself and have been LOVING the consistency, and don't worry about bark and shit, all that stuff contributes to feeding and aids in drainage.

You don't want the medium to hold a lot of water, oxygen is good for the root system.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Fox Farms Happy frog [Re: Magash]
    #369358 - 02/21/10 01:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Have no idea of the percentages of the bark and stuff but have used both products by themselves many times with no problems at all.

I can't even remember if this is in OF or HF

okay well i want that^ :smile:

I did some tests on how much water it held and was not quite happy I added about 1part of the organic MG I have left over to 3parts HF and 1part perlite and it seems to be holding about a half gallon of water in 3 gallons of dirt, much much less then the organic MG does. however the plant in the MG/perlite mix can go 5 days without water so I figure it's holding too much any ways. I have put 3 of my clones in 3 gallon pots now and well, i need more space again fuck. :rofl:

thanks for the input guys when (if, they might get flowered unless i see some vegative growth soon) i re-pot the other two i will try just HF and see if I can tell a difference.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #369389 - 02/21/10 02:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Get used to it pha3r0. I have the feeling that even when I DO upgrade I will still be pressed for MORE space. That's just the name of the game, as I'm figuring out right now. :crazy:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Fox Farms Happy frog [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #369395 - 02/21/10 02:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

haha yeah here is the new space... built it so we could start some veggies for spring, obviously they will need a yet another spot.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder