Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

fan speed control wiring help needed
    #364178 - 02/14/10 05:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So I recently purchased one of these to control my 450cfm Vortex. Once I received it, I realized wiring was involved, it wasn't just plug and play. Not a problem, normally, but there aren't thorough enough instructions!

I found this post, but I just got more confused, since none of these situations seem to apply to me.
With that said, here's what I know: coming out of the the back of my speed control unit are four wires. Two of them (black and white) are labeled as "120 VAC Line", so I know I'm supposed to run voltage through them. The other two (red and blue) are simply labeled "Load." There are at least six wires to choose from (schematic in icmag thread above), so I'm not sure where to put these. Engineering minds help?!

*Edit- fixed link Coda*

Edited by coda (02/14/10 05:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe man

Re: fan speed control wiring help needed [Re: God]
    #364274 - 02/14/10 08:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i would say black and white coming in red and blue going out. but im no electrition, from wiring a flourescent ballast im sure thats how it went. id just take a quick google search and look up the info you do have and not from icmag. also they use those rheostats for animal care, might help you out.

peace

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: fan speed control wiring help needed [Re: the man]
    #364430 - 02/14/10 10:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the "coming in/out" bit at the beginning. There are lots of wires coming in and out of everywhere :wink:.
As far as research goes, I've done plenty of it. Turns out that cannabis cultivators are some of the only people who want to vary the speed of their fans, since that icmag thread was one of few Google results. There is little info on the workings of the fan or the speed control on the internet. The schematic on icmag was actually the only one I could find for a Vortex at all (and it's not even up to date, but works well enough for my purposes)!

I can't even figure out if I need to run a separate power cable to the fan controller or if I can incorporate its power into the fan's wiring. I'm afraid to experiment, as I might die or destroy my equipment. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Offlinethe man

#364467 - 02/14/10 10:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

blackwhite coming from the wall, blue red going to fan! only concern is there is now no ground for your fan. they are used for heaters and or lights. like under tank heaters or those seedling heat matts. remember it will work the same for any device so dont restrict your search with FAN. search any labeling on wires ect. im pretty sure what i said is right but unless i can see/talk to a electrition buddy wouldnt do anything. let us know what works, im inerested if i was right :smile: haha

strange it never came with any schematic????

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#364514 - 02/14/10 11:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That's what I thought, so I went ahead and tried that, and nothing happened! Using this picture as a reference, I disconnected the black and white wires coming from the power cord at the bottom (left the ground alone) and connected them to the corresponding wires on the speed controller. Then I connected the blue and red wires to where the power cord's b&w ones used to go. Nothing. What am I doing wrong?!

I emailed the company's tech support, hopefully I'll get a response tomorrow. I also plan to call them on the phone. I'll keep you guys updated, but please don't refrain from speaking up if you know what to do! :grin:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#364749 - 02/15/10 02:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A frustrated update:

I've contacted the people who sold me the control unit, and the guy I spoke with was very nice and attempted to help, but to no avail. He and I both think that I'm doing it correctly. I asked if it was possible that they sent me a defective unit, and if I could get it exchanged for another. He said that claims like that require testing on the original device to ensure that internal components weren't fried due to my incompetence. This makes sense, of course, but he says that the testing can take quite a while, and I'm exhausted with the waiting. This unit is the last component I need to get my grow up and running, I've saved for months and sunk over $100 into it, and now I'm told that, despite having the unit in my hand, I can't use it, and they won't send me another one for a long time.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just extraordinarily frustrated, and obviously can't talk about any of this with anyone else.

InvisibleAmnesiac

Loc: Under the sea
    #364984 - 02/15/10 09:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If I remember correctly, black is 120v positive, white is common or negative. Those two need to go to the power outlet. The red should be the positive going out and tie into the black on the fans power, with the blue going to the negative, or white coming out of the fan. As for the green or bare wire, the earth ground, they should be secured to the case of the fan speed control, internally of coarse.
I'm kinda high, I hope all that make sense.

Offlinethe man

Re: fan speed control wiring help needed [Re: Amnesiac]
    #365064 - 02/16/10 01:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh did you make sure it was set at a temperature higher then room temp :smile: i bet you thats it...hahah

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#365246 - 02/16/10 01:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Amnesiac, you are completely right, aside from the fact that the polarity of the blue and red wires from the controller doesn't matter (I've confirmed all of this with the controller manufacturer). I am definitely wiring it up correctly, it just isn't working.

the man, I wish it were the case that the temperature was just set too high, but I've tried it at all settings, down the 35ºF, up to 95º. The unit is defective.

Thanks all for your help, I'll be sure to post once I get my cab up and running with one of these controllers, though I hope it doesn't take months...

Offlinethe man

#365261 - 02/16/10 01:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

check out rheostat i know lots of people use those i think are cheaper and no problems, but i think are probably bimodal not varying. anyway

apparently thats what you have, i thought it was a brand name...

Edited by the man (02/16/10 01:30 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds