Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMeroMero
 User Gallery

Keeping em Short and Bushy
    #22971 - 05/08/08 07:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Im talking plants here

Can anyone post some ways to keep plants short and bushy, a how to and how not to on pruning trimming, topping, Tying down whatever for dummies

I know it sounds easy i just don't want to make a disgrace of my first attempt.

YES ive searched already

--------------------
DRUGS, responsible for teaching America the metric system.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineheretician
Johnny Poppyseed

Re: Keeping em Short and Bushy [Re: MeroMero]
    #23379 - 05/09/08 01:29 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Keeping em Short and Bushy [Re: heretician]
    #23677 - 05/09/08 10:54 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i prefer to tie down rather than trim/prune.  you don't lose growth tips and you encourage branching just the same.

tying down is really straightforward.  i usually hit them up when they are about a foot to a foot and a half tall.  bend the top of the plant all the way over until it is pointing towards the ground.  be careful not to snap the stem.  i have found that at around this height the stem is still very soft and flexible and bending them w/o damage is easy.

find some way to tie them and keep them in this position, with the top pointing directly at the ground.  use a stake, rock, or anything that will work, you can even tie them to themselves.  within a few days they will be growing upright again, and the temporary lack of sun to the upper leaves will have greatly enhanced branching.

you can do this multiple times during the life of the plant.  i even do it to the branches once they get big enough.  spreading the plant apart with string increases the surface area, improving the amount of sunlight the plant receives and allowing light in to the more shaded areas inside.  more sun = more growth.

one thing you want to make sure of though, is not to tie the string in a knot directly around the plant.  you don't want the stem to grow too large and have the string cut into the stem.  use a spacious loop around the stem instead.  a nice slipknot would probably work well too.  i'm a boater, so i use a bowline :thumbup:

with continuous tying down you can effectively keep plants below a certain height, like say behind a stone wall, without having to cut all the bud sites off.  a 9ft tall plant can still be 9ft long, just horizontally :gethigh:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleMeroMero
 User Gallery

Re: Keeping em Short and Bushy [Re: Yrat]
    #23973 - 05/09/08 05:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Nice! thank you both

I could not find this info anywhere

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#29366 - 05/14/08 11:02 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #29368 - 05/14/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'll second the vote for tying down the plant. It's extremely simple to do, and causes very little stress for the plant (compared to cutting).

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Keeping em Short and Bushy [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #35980 - 05/21/08 06:25 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

found some old pics of a tied-down plant from 2003. these were taken half way through august. if you look close you can see some of the string.

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

InvisibleMeroMero
 User Gallery

#36020 - 05/21/08 07:10 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

How was this done? did you just tie the middle above a node or do you always gotta bend em down? I heard that you could use a hanger or something on the top to keep the plant short.  :ohwell:

--------------------

Edited by MeroMero (05/21/08 07:22 PM)

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#36060 - 05/21/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

check out this thread where i explain it in detail

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

InvisibleMeroMero
 User Gallery

#36072 - 05/21/08 07:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

thank you

--------------------

OfflineezKiel
All About the Haze
Male User Gallery

#133019 - 10/16/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Yrat said:
check out this thread where i explain it in detail

Link seems broken. Some sort of PHP error.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Keeping em Short and Bushy [Re: ezKiel]
    #133219 - 10/16/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

strange.  i found the thread that i originally linked to here

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Invisiblelegallyhomeless

#134237 - 10/19/08 08:42 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Tied down using wire hangers.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Keeping em Short and Bushy [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #134510 - 10/19/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds